#1 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 08:00 AM

After some research, I decided to try one of the Briggs and Stratton vacumm fuel pumps to replacce the broken Onan unit. I have all new fuel lines on the tractor, and with everything connected I get no fuel to carb. But when I run the Fuel line to a gas can it pumps fine. I proceded to confirm the fuel line from the tank isnt pinched and all is good, when I lower the line fuel will run out from gravity. The only reason I can think of is the fuel pump isnt strong enough to pump fuel from the rear mounted tank.
Any ideas guys?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 08:20 AM

After some research, I decided to try one of the Briggs and Stratton vacumm fuel pumps to replacce the broken Onan unit. I have all new fuel lines on the tractor, and with everything connected I get no fuel to carb. But when I run the Fuel line to a gas can it pumps fine. I proceded to confirm the fuel line from the tank isnt pinched and all is good, when I lower the line fuel will run out from gravity. The only reason I can think of is the fuel pump isnt strong enough to pump fuel from the rear mounted tank.
Any ideas guys?

Is the float on the carb stuck or need adjusted? The pump might not have enough pressure to fill past the needle and seat. You can use an electric fuel pump alternative too. Couple of guys have done that and it will probably be the route I will take.

#3 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 08:30 AM

I cant even get fuel to the carb yet. The reason I know this, the fuel filter is empty. This is a running tractor, so once I get the pump getting fuel to the engine it shoud run fine.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 08:36 AM

Ah I got ya now. I was thinking it was fine up until it got to the carb. It either doesn't have enough pressure or it has something to do with not matching the pulse signal to pump right. I would get a cheap electric fuel pump but let some of the other guys chime in on which one that they use because you can't use one with too much pressure or it will blow past the needle and seat.

The fuel pump on the Onan that was on my Case has the nipple broken off of it so I will have to replace that one or switch to an electric pump and I am more in favor of the electric one.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 08:40 AM

When you say it pumps fuel out to a gas can fine, there are a lot of variables there. Is this with the fuel filter in place when it pumps fine to the gas can? Are you holding the line level or downhill? Can you hold the line the same height it would be if it was connected to the carb and see if it still pumps? If it does pump does it seem like it is actually pumping or just trickling out?

#6 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 08:56 AM

It will pump fuel out of a gas can thats sitting on the floor, yes I did bypass the fuel filter that time. I just ran a different hose from the pump to a gas can. Today I'll try without a filter Maybe even run a long line from a gas can down low and see what happends.

#7 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 09:04 AM

I had the same problem. Briggs 808356 or something like that? Mikuni round pump
First problem I had was I hooked it up to the line to the cosmetic port LOL
After I disconnected the line from the carb I attached it to a vacuum pump and pulled the gas through the line.
Starts right of way, every time now. No more gas draining back to the carb.
If you want to borrow the pump feel free to not sure where in WI you are

#8 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 09:08 AM

Mike, Im from Richfield and I work in Milwaukee. Maybe I could just stop over sometime and see your setup compaired to mine. What kind of tractor are you using this setup on?

#9 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 09:11 AM

Im in Menomonee Falls right off 45.
Its on a Case 648 so I think that will need just as much vacuum as a Sears. The tank is under the rear seat and the fuel line goes straight up along the loader frame.
Did you have the Massey 7 on craigslist? I saw a couple Bolens in the background and I know its a small world lol

#10 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 10:39 AM

Im in Menomonee Falls right off 45.
Its on a Case 648 so I think that will need just as much vacuum as a Sears. The tank is under the rear seat and the fuel line goes straight up along the loader frame.
Did you have the Massey 7 on craigslist? I saw a couple Bolens in the background and I know its a small world lol

Yes I did have the Massey 7. A guy from Marshfield came down and bought it a few weeks ago. The Case 220 with blower currently on there is mine as well.

#11 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 22, 2011 - 08:52 AM

I followed the line back to the tank and found that the line was pinched against the frame and rearend. Once I fixed that I had gas flowing like crazy.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 22, 2011 - 09:00 AM

That is awesome. I am glad you found the problem. If it was kinked like that before with the old fuel pump I wonder how it ran before or if it may have been what helped kill the old fuel pump?

#13 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 22, 2011 - 09:09 AM

I ran all new lines because the old line was cracking and leaking. Running a new line wasnt as easy as I though it was going to be. The rear end is in the way of everything.

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 22, 2011 - 09:43 AM

That's right you did say you ran new line. Sorry about that. It is a tight squeeze on a lot of them. I know the fuel line for the Case could easily be pinched. Glad you got it figured out :D

#15 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 22, 2011 - 11:30 AM

Thats good to hear