• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 09:59 PM

I would have to say my Favorite is "Olcowhand's" Bush Hog JB Hogzilla. With our Simplicity 4041 coming second.

The JD 430 is right there also.

post-20-0-82060400-1360268006.jpg post-20-0-97388400-1360708903.jpg

• chris m and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 10:13 PM

http://gardentractor...hl=super garden

I thought this topic looked somewhat familiar.  If you want a listing of super garden tractors, have a look at the thread above.

It is possible that the Allis 720 is the king of garden tractors.  I don't think anything that was billed as a garden tractor was any larger than it was.

I would have to agree the Simplicity Power Max tractors and their Aliis Chalmers equivalent are king of the GT world with Economy Power King tractors a close second. I will say though that this Simplicity Sunstar has grown on me very quickly.

Attached Thumbnails

• sunstar.jpg 10.jpg
  • sunstar.jpg 9.jpg

#18 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 10:13 PM

I've had several, and there's something to say for all of them...

I like the JD 420s power, 3 valves, power steering and Hydro.  I don't like the lever operated hydro.

I like the Bolens LF-1886s and HTs.  For sheer bulk, good ground clearance, and power only the A/C 6xx or 7xx or the Case 6xx loader is bigger. I LOVE the treadle control on the hydro. In fact, I got my 1886 out yesterday and aerated several lawns with my 3 pt aerator.  They don't turn as sharply as the JD420, or the CC1682 that I have, but they are beefy.  Power steering is a definite plus if you have it.

The Case 4xx series with the hydraulic drive is another machine with great ground clearance, and the hydraulics will power hydraulic rototillers, log splitters, etc.  Their frames aren't as beefy as the Bolens or the JDs, so I wouldn't recommend putting a FEL on them without some serious reinforcement and spindle upgrades.

I have yet to see, yet alone drive one of the Masseys or the Bush Hogs.  There was a Massey 1455 for sale here a year ago for $200, but it was gone before I could even get out of my car cash in hand.  I DO want to try one sometime--preferably with a diesel.

The Bush Hogs are another machine I haven't tried but would love to given the chance.

The older MTDs are pretty big, but their steering pinion and sector gear has fine teeth and they strip out easily.  The front axle isn't as beefy, either, and uses plastic bushings in the wheels instead of bearings.

I'd also love a chance to get a Ford LGT195, or Sears FF series... haven't seen any of them around here, either.

Smitty

• chris m, boyscout862, Oldford and 1 other said thanks

#19 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 11:33 PM

The older MTDs are pretty big, but their steering pinion and sector gear has fine teeth and they strip out easily.  The front axle isn't as beefy, either, and uses plastic bushings in the wheels instead of bearings.

Smitty

Smitty The early 990 MTD used 3 bolt front spindles and the front axles were about as strong as any. The weak point was the standard spindles. I have heard of a few broken spindles. Although with the half a dozen that I have owned I never had any front end failures. The was a spindle upgrade available to go with the optional front end loader.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 05:17 AM

The big JD700 series with the hydraulic 4wd and diesel power. Add 4 wheel steer and you have a big tractor that manaeuvers like a small one. I'm not sure they atill have the diesel in those tractors. They made some changes recently including changing to really cheap looking wheels that don't look like they could even take wheel weights. The other big disadvantage is the cost and lack of rear PTO and 3 pt hitch as standard equipment.

I'd say that for diesel power and flexibility in a small package the Kubota BX1860 is hard to beat. It's an even smaller than normal SCUT with 24" rear tires and all the features of the SCUTs. A properly sized loader is available as well. If I was downsizing from my 2320 I'd look hard at the 1860 even though it's Orange!

#21 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 30, 2014 - 06:59 AM

JD Brian

I was hoping that deere would not fall into the same notion that the rest of the lawn and garden industry has experienced.  They make the tractors cheaper and cheaper, so you end up replacing the tractor more often, and not just buying a part now and then. 

#22 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,484 Thanks
  • 3,377 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 07:11 AM

I don't think you can pick one or even one line of tractors. Where's the cut off between super garden tractors and sub compacts? I certainly don't know. The perfect super would be a long wheelbase for comfort and safety but with a short turning radius, foot pedal hydro, power steering, front, center and rear pto's and remotes, an economical high torque diesel, a comfortable seat, steering brakes and a 3 pt hitch.

• Cvans, Utah Smitty and Oldford have said thanks

#23 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 30, 2014 - 07:28 AM

I don't think you can pick one or even one line of tractors. Where's the cut off between super garden tractors and sub compacts? I certainly don't know. The perfect super would be a long wheelbase for comfort and safety but with a short turning radius, foot pedal hydro, power steering, front, center and rear pto's and remotes, an economical high torque diesel, a comfortable seat, steering brakes and a 3 pt hitch.

I totally agree

#24 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 07:43 AM

I'll stick with my 83-420 w/20 HP Onan (B48G), it's served me well for several years now!  

HPIM2739 (Small).JPG

HPIM1053 (Custom).JPG

Lowell

• boyscout862 and superspeedex have said thanks

#25 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 30, 2014 - 08:00 AM

I'll stick with my 83-420 w/20 HP Onan (B48G), it's served me well for several years now!  

attachicon.gifHPIM2739 (Small).JPG

attachicon.gifHPIM1053 (Custom).JPG

Lowell

grnspot110

what kind are those rear ag tires and where can you get them

#26 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 08:01 AM

Smitty The early 990 MTD used 3 bolt front spindles and the front axles were about as strong as any. The weak point was the standard spindles. I have heard of a few broken spindles. Although with the half a dozen that I have owned I never had any front end failures. The was a spindle upgrade available to go with the optional front end loader.

You're right. My White Yard Boss (MTD 990) had the three bolt front wheels.
I was referring more to my Dayton 3Z68B-- MTD995

Smitty

#27 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 08:27 AM

The big JD700 series with the hydraulic 4wd and diesel power. Add 4 wheel steer and you have a big tractor that manaeuvers like a small one. I'm not sure they atill have the diesel in those tractors. They made some changes recently including changing to really cheap looking wheels that don't look like they could even take wheel weights. The other big disadvantage is the cost and lack of rear PTO and 3 pt hitch as standard equipment.

I'd say that for diesel power and flexibility in a small package the Kubota BX1860 is hard to beat. It's an even smaller than normal SCUT with 24" rear tires and all the features of the SCUTs. A properly sized loader is available as well. If I was downsizing from my 2320 I'd look hard at the 1860 even though it's Orange!

Brian I agree that the Kubota SCUTS offer a lot of bang for the buck. In this area the Green's and Orange's seem to be about even.in sales.  There is good dealer support for both and in my opinion I don't consider one color better than the other. So if I were buying it would come down to which dealer would give me the best price.

#28 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 30, 2014 - 08:38 AM

in our area its the same way,  just simply green and orange.  they both have nice features and options that are real nice in a small tractor.   

#29 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 08:58 AM

...Where's the cut off between super garden tractors and sub compacts?

Maybe rear hitch?          Cat 1= subcompact              Cat 0= GT

My favorite GT, super or not, would cost under 1500 and cheap motor spares available but that's just me

• toppop52 said thank you

#30 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 30, 2014 - 09:35 AM

Maybe rear hitch?          Cat 1= subcompact              Cat 0= GT

My favorite GT, super or not, would cost under 1500 and cheap motor spares available but that's just me

AAnd lots of options too.  right.