#1 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 04:49 PM

Has anyone seen this image online? 

I found it at http://www.tractorsh...s/adpic8779.htm

I think I may have posted about it here or another forum once int he past - but thought about revisiting the idea sometime this summer. 

I have my HT23 moved into the new shop and am slowly finishing up the remodeling on our new house (formerly my grandparents). Once everything is finished in the house - I plan on moving into the shop and garage to work on stuff. It's been a long process, but i've found some really cool stuff - including a bunch more Bolens books/documents, etc. from my Great Grandfathers Ford Tractor/Bolens business. 

Anyways - I have 4 really big Pine tree's on the property that I hate mowing around.. I thought a front mount mower would be really handy to get up under those guys. I have a spare front blade frame, snow blower frame, and misc. bolens driveshafts, plus an extra 54" deck. I figured it would be fairly easy to fab up with some decent caster wheels? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens front mower Steiner.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 05:27 PM

That should be possible with a little judicious welding, and the caster wheels out front. You probably will want to incorporate some sort of height adjustment into the frame holding up the back edge of the deck so you can level it up to the desired height.
  • nglauer said thank you

#3 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 05:29 PM

I figured it could be done as well - hopefully I will have time to mess around with the idea this summer. Right now my focus is on finishing the remodel... then hopefully I will get to move onto some of my own projects lol.

Nick

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 06:01 PM

Sounds like a good idea! I'll be looking for the build thread!

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 07:07 PM

Do you have access to a right angle gear box? Isn't that deck belt driven perpendicular to the tractor?

Oops, misread that. You're attempting a front mount mower with a Bolens deck, correct?

#6 tractorgarden ONLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 12:45 AM

Gravely has done the front mower thing for years. You should have a nice piece of equipment
when you are finished.

#7 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 04:54 PM

Wow I'd love to see that.

#8 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 08:21 AM

I won't be starting on it any time soon - I was just curious if anyone else had done this? I'm currently mowing with the HT20, but have my HT23 stuck in the corner of the shop awaiting attention. I had restored the mower deck for it a good number of years back. I'm just thinking it would make an interesting project.

I imagine it wouldn't take much to mount - as for wheels I think something like the caster assemblies from a walk behind ztr or a ztr like below

Attached Thumbnails

• Front mower assembly 3.jpg
  • Front mower assembly 2.jpg
  • Front mower assembly.jpg

#9 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 09:07 AM

I would suggest you go ahead and look at some Gravely two-wheel units.  All the engineering is done already, and you'll have a nice tractor that can handle some serious cutting chores.  Keep the deck under the Bolens, it will probably cut better that way.  Gravely had the "brutish" 30 inch deck, as well as some 40 and 50 inch mowers, depending on the power of your machine.  If you never plan to get into heavy cutting, I'd get a 70's era "C-8" with a governor and a 40 inch deck.  The "C-8" will give you four forward speeds and two PTO speeds.   I'd think you should be able to get a runner for $500 or less, depending.

post-4509-132893980968.jpg post-4243-0-17579300-1341973959.jpg

I want to add, someone above commented that Gravely had done this, which is true.  The Gravely 4 wheel tractors had adaptor kits which allowed them to mount normal two wheel implements on the front.  I have heard that with the mower decks, it really added a lot of weight to the front, which made them difficult to steer.  I would think the length would make them unwieldy as well, plus when you do turn, that deck is going to start really whipping around.

Edited by HowardsMF155, May 02, 2014 - 09:11 AM.

#10 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 11:51 PM

I have 3 tube frame bolens, 2 large frame bolens, a cub loboy, a late model huskee supreme "disposable" mower, an IH 504 row crop, and a shared Cub Cadet 1641... with more attachments than any reasonable person should have. If I buy another "toy" I will be sleeping in the garage with some of them lol. 

I just have a spare Bolens 54" deck and quite a few extra pieces laying around, I may never try to build a front mount mower.. but I sure thought it would be handy to build and have available for mowing around the pine tree's (which I love and hate at the same time). I don't want to trim the limbs up high because I think they look better touching the ground.. then again.. I don't like trying to trim the grass the grows under them lol. I always end up covered in sap, or nearly wisked off the seat of the tractor lol. I then come into the house smelling like pinesol and carbon monoxide lol. 

Anyways - I just stumbled across the image of the steiner mower mounted on a large frame and found it interesting.