• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 11:26 AM

What's the difference between a $ 30.00 helmet and a $300.00 helmet...??

Seems they have very simular specs. ,,speeds,, viewing area,,adjustments... Any advise ???

• hamman said thank you

#2 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 12:21 PM

$270.

• Gtractor, Jack, pigsitter and 4 others have said thanks

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,297 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 12:30 PM

In a word I would say:  Quality.

The next words are comfort and resilience.  The headbands on the cheapies aren't the best design..  JMO

• hamman, sodisr and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 12:48 PM

I have the HF auto darking and it seems to do OK.  I'm sure those who have a lot more experience can answer your question better.

• hamman, boyscout862 and sodisr have said thanks

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 03:10 PM

The Kids purchased one from TSC as a gift for me years ago and it still works just fine. The big thing is if your going to be welding in cold climates to check and find out if the one your looking at is going to work for you. Many don't like the cold. 

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 03:17 PM

The price of the welding helmet directly effect what you will get quality wise.  I am a career welder so I look at the pretty blue light al day long.  If you don't weld much you will probably never notice the difference, but if you plan on welding allot you will definitely notice.  the cheaper helmets tend to not last as long and if they are auto darkening they will not darken as fast, you may say "  I cant tell the difference "  But your eyes certainly will after a few hours with a cheap helmet.  You will get up in the nite and it will feel like you have sand in your eyes.  it is called weld flash and it is a burn on the surface of your eye, it will heal but it is really annoying till it does.

The second point I can make is if you don't weld all the time then just get a standard victor helmet, avoid the cheap auto darkening helmets if you can, they will only damage your eyes.  The best by far is a speedglass Helmet, I use one daily and it has lasted me over 8 years and does not show any signs of quitting but they are a bit pricey,  A good speedglass will run you around $300 ++.  But they are well worth the cash.

Good luck and be careful, I have seen to may old welders who are half blind form to many weld flashes

Pete

• Cvans, HDWildBill, WHdbJD and 4 others have said thanks

#7 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 03:20 PM

A lot depends on how much welding your going to do and how long you want the helmet to last.If your not welding for hours,a cheap one may suit you fine.If your going to be doing lots of welding get a better one,They more comfortable and more rugged IMO

Make sure it has adjustable shade darkness,some of the early cheap ones were junk in that department thou their better now I would think.

Myself I bought a speedglass about 15 years ago and I love it fits my head and how light it is and never any problems with it.

• Cvans, HDWildBill, sodisr and 1 other said thanks

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 03:33 PM

Here at our Shop, we only use Jackson and Miller Auto darkening helmets. My personal Jackson I'v had for over 10 years with no issues at all. We have tried the Harbor Freight helmets and not had very good luck, but we are using them everyday and they have to take a beating in a shop. Also the HF helmet uses an odd ball lens that you have to special order or cut down standard size lens.

• IamSherwood, Cvans, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 05:49 PM

I recently bought a Hobart auto darkening helmet. It is the bottom of the line(about $80) and there are like 3 models higher. reading their flyer the better helmets have more sensors to sense the arc and the speed at which they react is faster. being blind in one eye and welding being hard on the eyes I maybe should have bought the best, but bought what was in the budget. I chose the auto darkening unit because being blind in one eye makes it harder for me to start an arc and it helps with that. Many professional welders still prefer the fixed dark lens But they will choose the better helmets like Texas deere and horse said. When your using it all day long every day the best and most comfortable is not that expensive weighed against the hours of use.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 29, 2014 - 05:49 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, HowardsMF155, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 08:48 PM

Also the HF helmet uses an odd ball lens that you have to special order or cut down standard size lens.

While the one the kids got for me wasn't exactly a cheap helmet,  it still uses a none standard lens. Fortunately they are easily resized.

The funny thing is after 30 years of welding with a flip helmet I finally purchased a Lincoln auto darkening helmet at work because of sore muscles in my neck. I'll bet it took me almost another year to quit nodding my head before striking an arc.  :wallbanging:

• HDWildBill, sodisr and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#11 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 10:23 PM

I bought a Speedglas 100 4 yrs ago, about $130 IIRC.It has replaceable batts but haven't had to change them yet. You have to press a darkness button to turn it on and it auto shuts off or you can hold a button down for 2 sec and it turns off. Being retired from welding as part of my job and now a hobby welder it has worked great for me. I recently did a project that required a lot of tacking and if lense speed was slow I should have had "sandy eyes" that nite but I didn't. It's comfortable and light but I doubt it would hold up on welding as a steady job. I had a HF AD before and it was OK except it went TU in 2 yrs so I decided to spend a little more and get something that might last longer.
Mike
  • Cvans, HDWildBill and sodisr have said thanks

#12 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 09:44 AM

Thanks ALL...   I only weld a few minutes here and there,on projects..  So even a cheapie would probably go to hell from just sitting..

But I would prefer to not just give my money away to china  and get a better one to last longer.  I think they are mostly made overseas thou, I don't want to by one every couple of years.. The one I have is one my father used profetionly  and is solid. It's fine after you get going,, but finding the arc spot is tough..

• Cvans, HDWildBill and Bill 76 have said thanks

#13 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 09:49 AM

I'm leaning on the one Northern Tool has.......$  69.00

It has batt. back-up

2 sensors,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I would prefer more.

1 yr. warrenty

test mode

replaceable inner and outer lenses............and a few more goodies I can't remember..

#14 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,297 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 10:29 AM

The price of the welding helmet directly effect what you will get quality wise.  I am a career welder so I look at the pretty blue light al day long.  If you don't weld much you will probably never notice the difference, but if you plan on welding allot you will definitely notice.  the cheaper helmets tend to not last as long and if they are auto darkening they will not darken as fast, you may say "  I cant tell the difference "  But your eyes certainly will after a few hours with a cheap helmet.  You will get up in the nite and it will feel like you have sand in your eyes.  it is called weld flash and it is a burn on the surface of your eye, it will heal but it is really annoying till it does...  

**Good luck and be careful, I have seen to may old welders who are half blind form to many weld flashes

Pete

When I was a young'un I was welding up an exhaust on my old jalopy to make it last just a little bit longer..  Being a novice welder I had a h*@k of a time striking the arc where I wanted so I hit the arc then flipped the helmet..  I woke up @ 2 am that morning and couldn't open my eyes and they hurt BAD!  I feared I was blind and felt my way over to the bathroom to check things out..  Once I turned the light on I saw it so that relieved me a ton!  I pried my eyelids open and my eyes were red as blood!  It was the LAST time I ever struck an arc without the helmet on and down!  Just a little personal experience to share with you'all..

Be careful!

• HDWildBill said thank you

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 03:46 PM

When I was a young'un I was welding up an exhaust on my old jalopy to make it last just a little bit longer..  Being a novice welder I had a h*@k of a time striking the arc where I wanted so I hit the arc then flipped the helmet..  I woke up @ 2 am that morning and couldn't open my eyes and they hurt BAD!  I feared I was blind and felt my way over to the bathroom to check things out..  Once I turned the light on I saw it so that relieved me a ton!  I pried my eyelids open and my eyes were red as blood!  It was the LAST time I ever struck an arc without the helmet on and down!  Just a little personal experience to share with you'all..
Be careful!

Taters Boys!!! Welders in the factory swore that putting slices of raw potato on your eyelids would take the fire and gravel out of your eyes from weld burn. Heard it from too many at different times to write it off to factory bull and jerkin your chain. It works. Just don't ask me why ,cause I have no clue.

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 02, 2014 - 03:49 PM.