Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Case 444 - Problem With Rear Hydraulics?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 mkow1234 OFFLINE  

mkow1234
  • Member No: 54870
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for the help, guys!

I got the tractor working this weekend, and for a few glorious moments (40 minutes, maybe), she was a tilling machine!

The push rod came off once, and I reattched her with cotter pins.

Then, the engine died, and I could not get her started again. I disconnected the cultivator attachment, and pushed the 444 back to the pole barn (The Case 444 lives under a lean-to roof out back).

We were amazed that the thing even worked, after sitting for probably two decades.

Sypmptoms: Weak attempts at starting (starter motor seems weak and likely needs replacing), some weak backfiring through the carb intake, appears to be some liquid gasoline collecting on outside of block -- something's loose, I guess).

Next steps: I'm going to clean up the engine and start to systematically examine for problems (anybody know the head bolt torque specs?) At the very least, I know I should remove and inspect the carbureutor, etc. I will also replace the original spark plug, remove cylinder head, and see how much carbon and what not is in there. Here are some pics.

Thanks again!

Edited by mkow1234, May 12, 2014 - 10:08 AM.

#17 mkow1234 OFFLINE  

mkow1234
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 10:11 AM

A few pics of the small garden I double tilled, and a pic of the ancient starter motor.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0581.JPG
  • 100_0584.JPG
  • 100_0585.JPG

#18 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 08:10 PM

Well, before replacing the starter motor.
Remove and clean all electrical connections.
It may be a weak battery.
What is the push rod you refer to?

Joe

#19 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 567 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 09:00 PM

You can get manuals here Check your oil to make sure fuel pump not leaking into block. Might be your coil or condenser. One other thing it happens to any body tilling dies forget to disengage tiller makes it hard to turn over motor.

• marlboro180 said thank you

#20 mkow1234 OFFLINE  

mkow1234
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the help, guys.

Joe, when I said "push rod", I meant the bar that pushes linkage for the rear sleeve hitch.

The starter motor has seemed slow ever since I started looking at this beast.

I did in fact remove and clean most (but not all) of the ignition wire contacts --

I don't think I cleaned the wires and connections for the voltage regulator or the solenoid, so I guess they're next.

I installed a brand-new battery last year. Now, when I attempt to start the engine, I get a couple of tries ata  astart, and then the battery needs to be recharged. Maybe I'll haul a marine battery Up North and try that this weekend, too.

Gopher, I have the cultivator disconnected, and it still seems like it is struggling to turn over.

Maybe the lever is engaged, and it is still affecting the motor (despite nothing being connected to the tractor)?

Also, I appreciate the fuel pump tip -- I think you may be on to something, there.

The saga (in brief) is that this belonged to my passed away Father-in-Law to be. He suffered heart attack his final years, a great deal of machinery was negelected. There was an erstwhile "handyman" whom we think may have "sabotaged" a few tools (such as the old Case) , in hopes that he could get these things for cheap or free. Regardless, there were probably at least three people that mucked around with the Case 444 before I ever saw it. It is what it is...

I'll have to see if I can look at it this weekend.

First priority is to perform fluids change on an old motor home.

• Rock farmer said thank you

#21 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 07:58 PM

Your starter on your Case is actually an old Delco starter/generator. It charges your battery, as well as starting your engine. Before deciding it needs rebuilt, I would try jump starting your tractor with your car. If it cranks good with your jumper cables attached, its not the starter, and more likely the battery. Of course cleaning all your connections is a good idea as well.

Matt