Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Case 444 - Problem With Rear Hydraulics?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mkow1234 OFFLINE  

mkow1234
  • Member No: 54870
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 07:08 AM

Hello Everybody. I inherited a Case 444 garden tractor, which has front and rear hydraulics. The front has a push blade that goes up and down just fine (activated by lever on right side of engine cowling). There is also a lever on the LEFT side of the engine cowling, to raise/lower the rear hitch for attachments. When I attempt to move this lever, nothing happens. Seems like the lever has some resistance to it (I'm not forcing it).

What am I missing? Seems like front and back must run off of the same system. Is there a switch or valve I need to activate? I should mention that currently, I do not have anything attached at the rear of the tractor, but the hitch should move up and down. I do know that on my 446, the left lever raises and lowers the mower attachment (The 444 gas no mower attached underneath). Maybe you guys can recommend a manual or some suggestions... Could it be that a hydraulic line is plugged, or maybe something is not connected somewhere?

I will take some pictures on the weekend and will post them here.

On a related note, the receiver in back has four threaded holes, for attaching implements.

What size bolts do I need to attach things?

It was amazing that I got this ancient beast running, simply by swapping out wires, fluids, and a battery!

She sat exposed to the elements under a lean-to roof for a couple of decades.

What nice machines.

I learn a lot from your postings. Thanks.

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 07:22 AM

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear you are finding the site helpful. I'm sure there will be some Case guys along to answer your question. Have you checked the manual section for the manual to your tractor?

• mkow1234 said thank you

#3 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 08:08 AM

First off, Welcome to GTalk! Its good to have you here. There are several variables that cam come into play here, and once I see pics of your Case, I will be able to help you better. On some of the very early 444's there could be a hydraulic PTO attached to the left side of the tractor, but it just engaged the PTO, it didn't raise/lower the hitch. The lever that is located down on the left side of the dash tower is for engaging the clutch on the front of the engine, that is used for the mower deck, snow blower, etc. The lever that is on the left side of the dash itself is your travel control of course. The lever on the right side of the dash raises/lowers the front, and rear attachments. It won't necessarily lower the rear, if you have an attachment on the front. I don't know if you have a rear sleeve hitch, or a 3 point hitch, but with some more information, or pictures, I'll be able to explain better. I have to go to work, but I'll check back on this thread when I get home. Thanks

Matt 

#4 mkow1234 OFFLINE  

mkow1234
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 10:09 AM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the information. This is very helpful. It sounds like ONE lever is used for raising and lowering BOTH the front and back implements. Sounds like I should remove the front push blade (That should be "fun") and then attach a cultivator on the back.

I beleve I have a receiver hitch that looks like it would take four bolts (I'm not sure what size bolts -- maybe 2" long coarse-thread 5/8" bolts?)

A bit more information: Last Fall, I swapped out wires one-by-one on the Case 444, added a new battery, added fuel and oil, and lo and behold, she runs! The starter motor barely turns, so I think I need to find a replacement one. That's okay. She's missing one headlight, and the rear fenders were pop-riveted on -- one has already broken off again. I will fix with a drill and stainless steel hardware. The front push blade moves nicely, although it must not be set correctly -- it seems to have a lot more room to go downward (lifts front end of tractor off the ground) than it does to go upward.

This is all stuff that my fiance's father had used at one time. He passed about a year and a half ago. I am trying to resurrect his old tools and stuff. So far, I have gotten the 446 running pretty well (blows a bit of blue smoke, but she's okay. Guess I should remove cylinder heads, once I know the torque specs and clean out the carbon). Anyway, I use the 446 for mowing trails and for hauling a trailer for gathering fire wood.I wanty to try using the cultivator attachment for tilling some large garden areas. I hate wasting a day on the rototiller -- seems like the Case would make short work of that chore -- if I can get everything working.

"The lever on the right side of the dash raises/lowers the front, and rear attachments.

It won't necessarily lower the rear, if you have an attachment on the front."

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 10:22 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. If you know the make and model of the engine we probably have a manual for it in our Manuals section. Have a look there for info that may help get that Case back in top condition.  

#6 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 12:35 PM

Yes, you can use 5/8 bolts in the hitch, but I usually buy 5/8 pins from tractor supply for mine.

From your description, I believe your 444 is equipped with a sleeve hitch, which is lifted from the same hydraulic cylinder that your snow blade is. While the sleeve hitch may move upwards some, it will not go down very far with the front blade on it. My 444 is equipped with a 3 point hitch, which has its own hydraulic cylinder, and although its still operated by the same lever on the dash, it will go up, and down, even with my front blade on it. It is perfectly normal for the front blade to only lift a few inches off the ground, and for the hydraulic cylinder to be at the end of its travel. Thats the way Case built them. 

Here is a video of my 444, before I restored it, so you can see the way my blade lifts for comparison. 

Matt

Edited by bowtiebutler956, April 29, 2014 - 12:36 PM.

#7 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 12:37 PM

Here is a video after its refurbish. 

Matt

#8 mkow1234 OFFLINE  

mkow1234
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 09:12 PM

unfortunately, these are the only three photos I have at the moment.

This weekend, I wil attempt to remove the front blade, and I will tak more photos of the linkages, etc.

Thanks for your patience. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Case 444 - receiver hitch.JPG
  • Case 444 - Cultivator attachment.JPG
  • Case 444 - PTO.JPG

#9 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 564 Thanks
  • 624 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 09:59 PM

You have sleeve hitch. Attachments are hooked up using the 3 holes. the threaded holes are to make some attachments rigid like a tiller. The sleeve hitch has a lift bar that attaches to adapter plate where your front blade lift rod attaches. Go to the Case forum here for more on lift rod and adapter plate. 

#10 mkow1234 OFFLINE  

mkow1234
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 12:18 PM

Thanks a lot for the information. I just downloaded the manual for sleeve hitches. I also bought some 6 1/4" length bolts with cotter pins (58" diameter) -- hopefully, they will fit...

My related question -- looking at the cultivator attachment, it looks like the mount is on upside down. I think that when the mount is attached to the hitch, the whole cultivator would be upside-down. Or maybe I am mistaken...  I'll give her a look this weekend, and I'll take more pics. Thanks everybody!

Best regards,

Matt K.

#11 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 01:39 PM

The mount on your tiller is correct. Here are a couple pics of mine for reference. 

Matt

Attached Thumbnails

• P5020142 (1024x768).jpg
  • P5020143 (1024x768).jpg
  • P5020144 (1024x768).jpg

#12 mkow1234 OFFLINE  

mkow1234
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for the pics, Matt! Okay, here is my update... My fiance' and I went and bought a small RV this wekend (18' Toyota Dolphin).

Consequently, I did not have any time to grab photos. That being said, I did observe the following:

The long metal bar that pushes the linkage for the rear hitch has a long slot in it -- passing through this slot is a cotter-type bolt with a cotter pin. when the bar moves backward, the slot merely slides back, rather than operating the rear linkage. I think I need to replace the cotter-type pin with a nut/bolt/washer, so that it readily moves the reasr hitch linkage.

The other thing I observed was that somebody before me had attached a bolt from the underside of the transaxle through a slot in the rear linkage!  What the heck? It looks like this would have been the spot where a trailer tow bar would have attached, if the rear hitch was not there. I can see that the rear hitch cannot move up and down without pulling on the differential, via th bolt I mentioned.

If all this sounds squirrely, I have to say in my defense that my Father-in-Law (who has passed on) had done very little maintenance to his Case garden tractors. He had some local **** work on them, but that guy was a heavy drinker, and I suspect that he fudged some of the tractor mechanisms up, in hopes that he could buy these tracctors cheap. I know it sounds weird...

Next week, I hope to remove that odd bolt fastener between the transaxle and the rear hitch linkage. I can't see how anything could go up and down without that.

Matt, if you'd care to commenty, I'd like to know more about that weird slot in the bar that pushes the rear linkage. What's the purpose of the slot? Maybe it's the wrong piece?

More to follow.

• bowtiebutler956 said thank you

#13 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 02:03 PM

I'm not exactly sure why Case put that slot there, but it is factory. I would guess to allow the implement to jump if it needed to, like if you hit a large rock in the dirt with your tiller. Just a guess, but here are a couple of pics of that rod your talking about, as well as an illustration of it hooked to the sleeve hitch. If your sleeve hitch is currently bolted to the trailer towing hitch, you will definitely need to remove the bolt for it to operate. Hope this helps.

Matt

Attached Thumbnails

• P5050147 (1024x768).jpg
  • P5050146 (1024x768).jpg
  • P5050148 (1024x768).jpg

#14 mkow1234 OFFLINE  

mkow1234
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 02:18 PM

Thanks, Matt! Your second picture shows the situation perfectly.

I'm wondering if I could improve the push effort from that metal bar, by adding a couple of short bolts w/nuts in the slot space?

I'll see if I can (finally) get things going next weekend.

Thanks again!

#15 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 08:52 PM

Matt K.
That bolt you speak of on the trans axel is there to hold the slot hitch up when it is not connected to the lift.
As in when a snow blower is attached to the tractor.
The slot in the lift bar is there so that the hitch can " float " instead of break should you hit something.
You do not want to bolt that up solid.

Joe