6 replies to this topic

#1 Stumpgrinder OFFLINE  

Stumpgrinder
  • Member No: 50816
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 07:04 PM

Hello,

As you can see, I have a pretty good oil leak from the seal around the rear axle.  I have a new seal ready to go but the hub is locked solid on the axle.  It is a keyed axle and I have heated it the best I can (although not red hot) and pounded a little.  I am afraid if I hit too hard I will pull the axle shaft out of the transmission.  This is on a Simplicity 2210 and any help would be great!

Thanks.photo 1.JPG

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 07:44 PM

when you backed the jam nuts out did you get all off the bolt out?  I have had the same trouble, the bolt that goes all the way to the axle has a tendency to snap just the end off then the bolt is still tight and you don't even realize it.  My daily use tractor, I just did all the oil seals in it, I know I have had the hubs of within the last 4 years, the same side was jammed on so bad I broke it getting it of.  so be careful with the hammer.

#3 Stumpgrinder OFFLINE  

Stumpgrinder
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 08:26 PM

when you backed the jam nuts out did you get all off the bolt out?  I have had the same trouble, the bolt that goes all the way to the axle has a tendency to snap just the end off then the bolt is still tight and you don't even realize it.  My daily use tractor, I just did all the oil seals in it, I know I have had the hubs of within the last 4 years, the same side was jammed on so bad I broke it getting it of.  so be careful with the hammer.

Bingo, one of the bolts was broken off about 1/4 inch inside the hub.  Will have to drill it out tomorrow.  Thanks for the help, I will let you know if it works.

On a side note, does that axle just pass through the trns and then the right hub and wheel get bolted onto it or does it lock onto something inside the trans that will get messed up if I bang on the hub?

Thanks.

#4 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 04:51 AM

On the other side there should be another locking collar, you will need to remove that then the 1-1/8" axle should slide rite out thru.  You should clean the axle up very well before you try to get it out otherwise you will have trouble trying to get it thru the brass bushings in the axle tube.

The axle tube has snap rings inside the gear box so you cannot remove that without breaking the gear box open.  one last thing, on the rite side of the tractor is the differential, do not remove the bolts that hold the differential together, that will slide of the axle tube as an assy. you will need a good puller for that.

Pete

#5 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,863 Thanks
  • 2,788 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 07:00 AM

OFTEN IT IS THE BRASS BUSHING'S THAT ARE WORN THEY EGGED AND ALLOW THE TRANS OIL TO GET BY REPLACING JUST THE SEALS IS A BAND AID

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 Stumpgrinder OFFLINE  

Stumpgrinder
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 10:15 PM

Is there a way to replace the bushings without splitting the trans?

#7 Stumpgrinder OFFLINE  

Stumpgrinder
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 08:06 PM

We'll I took it to the shop and they could not get it off. Plus the seals have ground into the axle tube so even if I replaced the seal it would leak pretty soon. I am keeping my eye out for a parts tractor that I can rebuild the transmission on and swap this one out. I will just have to deal with the leak for a while.