JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 9298
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 07:57 PM

The kohler k91's burn through plugs like crazy when not tuned right or you are just idling, that could very well be the problem.  You need pictures of a throttle setup on a clinton or a kohler? I can get you both if needed.

Jake

• petrj6 said thank you

#32 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 08:00 PM

Jake that would be awesome I need pics of the kohler throttle setup.  I think I am missing something but not sure what.

Pete

#33 JakeKuhn OFFLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 08:10 PM

Here ya go. There are 2 cable clamps...one bolts to the shroud by the serial tag or decal, and then hook the inner cable into the governor dial and put a clamp on the bracket. These can be kind of frustrating to cut to length if you are using a new control. 

Jake

DSCN2549.JPG

DSCN2550.JPG

DSCN2551.JPG

DSCN2553.JPG

• trowel and petrj6 have said thanks

#34 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 08:15 PM

That answers allot of questions I had, makes sense when you look at it.  My kohler engine block is not threaded at the exhaust port like yours so I made a block to bolt on and direct the exhaust forward like it needs to be.  Thank's

Pete

• trowel said thank you

#35 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 08:36 PM

You beat me to it Jake, was about to up load pictures.

Well, im off to bed, night.

Edited by trowel, June 11, 2014 - 08:36 PM.

#36 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 08:00 PM

HE HE HE , I got it all put together today.  Would you believe it was the choke!!!!!!!!!  I put an air cleaner of a Tecumseh on the kohler and did not notice that the choke lever was hitting the air cleaner back plate and not closing all the way.  got a new plug today and while I was playing I noticed it the, took a grinder to it and viola starts a runs like a top now.  put it on the machine and played around a bit.  Now I need to get the rite size belt for the mower deck and get that working :D Maybe this winter I will re-paint it.  Thank's all for the help :thumbs:

Pete

Attached Thumbnails

• wheel horse 001.JPG
  • wheel horse 002.JPG
  • wheel horse 003.JPG
  • wheel horse 004.JPG

• MH81 and trowel have said thanks

#37 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 08:10 PM

Dang ! looks good :thumbs: green engine is a bit of an eyesore though.

Looks like it was wet for you too, too much dang rain.

#38 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 08:27 PM

I was going to get it going and leave it but now that I have it together I think I am going to go for a restore or partial at least.  for now I like it and am going to play with it.

• trowel said thank you

#39 JakeKuhn OFFLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 04:41 PM

Glad to hear you got it going...If I were you I would not paint it. That is a very nice looking original tractor and they are only original once. In the 40+ wheel horses I have owned I have only had one with the cool patina look like yours. If you want to make it stand out, repaint the wheels and seat, and paint the engine the old kohler blue. It will look very nice that way. Not trying to tell you what to do here, its your tractor and do what you wish...but again there only original once.

• petrj6 said thank you

#40 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 08:19 PM

I want to learn how to give new steel that kind of patina.  I have the fenders for it and they are original but I need to make the tool box and that will be new.  Any suggestions?  I think It would look funny with some new and some old stuff. 

The engine old kohler blue? Never seen a blue kohler, all the wheelhorses I have seen are red with red engine.  Either way I don't think I am going to keep it, going to get it all straightened out with the mower deck working and then sell it.  What would you say, white wheel's and seat, blue engine leave the tractor?  Sounds like a good idea. 

Pete

• trowel and JakeKuhn have said thanks

#41 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 08:48 PM

Well, you could give it to your daughter to use for soccer practise  :dancingbanana:  or give it to the dog :deadhorse:  then buy satin red paint close to the original red, paint the tool box rust colored and with a paint brush lightly dab on some dark brown paint, let dry then paint a coat or two of the red, while it is drying take a screw driver and throw on some random scratched around high wear areas, then some rocks thrown at it for good measure, when dry sand down the edges and top until the rust paint shows.

:smilewink:

• petrj6 said thank you

#42 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 08:50 PM

Im not so sure about the blue engine,.....

#43 JakeKuhn OFFLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 03:59 PM

Here's a picture of a rj with a blue engine. The old kohlers used to be blue and this looks like it was meant to be. Again, this is completely up to you, but a shiny red engine on a rusty red tractor might not be the greatest match.

stevebo.jpg

#44 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 08:23 PM

I have the engine out due to lack of spark, got that straightened out and gave the engine a quick shot of flat black for now.  will be better than the green.   I think I am going for a cleanup not a resto.  repaint the rims and seat white, make the tools box and paint the engine and that some sort of faded red to try and match the rest of the tractor.  I used to paint when I was little and in order to do that I think you would need to spray black then while the paint is still wet you would spray the proper red color on there and it would darken and make it look faded.  I am going to play with tool box when I get it done and see what I come up with. 

I am looking for the rite air cleaner, intake tube and recoil for it now.  Thanks for the pics :thumbs:

• trowel said thank you

#45 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 08:32 PM

The oil cup air cleaner is made by United and is of the up draft type, the recoil starter is made by Schancke, the Kohler adapter plate will be needed for the recoil to bolt to the shroud.