Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 02:18 PM

Howdy All--

Well, I sold my HT23 last week, and while I'm finishing saving up the money for a CUT, I'm looking to get my 1886 to plow the garden.  Fortunately it has a 3 pt hitch.  The engine runs pretty strong, but the stator (alternator) is not working. I bought a NOS unit to install in the engine, BUT, since I didn't sell my Mitsi L3E diesel with the HT23, I may put it in the 1886 instead.

Which leads to my main question-- The Eaton 12 hydro in the 1886 works, but it's noisy--even after an oil and filter change. The tractor is usable now, but if I put the 20 hp diesel in it, it might stress it more than it can handle. I know repair parts for the E-12 have just about dried up, so I'm wondering about putting a different transaxle in the machine.

I looked at the HT 23 Transaxle compared to the 1886, and it looks like it can physically bolt up to the frame. Question is--could it be swapped and what kind of job would it be.

I know the 1886 doesn't have dual disk brakes, though I have a set of CC disk brakes that I might try to install... I know the HT23 has a Hi-Low range with the shifter on the left side under the seat... any other major impediments to making this swap?

Thanks, as always, for any input.

Smitty

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,198 Thanks
  • 5,215 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 04:04 PM

All Eaton 12 are noisy if it works and the tractor moves fine why hack the thing up.......................... :wallbanging:

Edited by wilberj, April 28, 2014 - 04:04 PM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 06:07 PM

All Eaton 12 are noisy if it works and the tractor moves fine why hack the thing up.......................... :wallbanging:

I don't plan to swap it out unless the E12 quits working--just wanted to know the feasibility of the swap before I swapped out the engine.

Smitty

#4 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 06:15 PM

I've wondered about swapping in an eaton11 from an ht23 also. As far as your 1886 goes Wilbur is correct. They whine and make a lot of noise. Mine has been that way for years. 

#5 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 06:42 PM

I just did swap. A HT23 rear end into a HT20 so now it is a HT21.5. As far as yours it will be a little harder but not to bad. The biggest problem you will have is the brake setup. As the HT frame rails have the slot for the brakes and the 1886 does not. So you will have to slot the rails and if done right will be easy. You will also need a driveshaft from the 23 and the complete brake linkage and a few other things.

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 07:29 PM

I plan to swap everything when I do it--transaxle and hydro pump. But, if it ain't broke, I won't fix it...

Smitty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens 1886-2, bolens, 1886 transmission, ht23, transmission swap