Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Should Be A Little Warranty.............

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 09:45 PM

left on a 42 yr old drive belt don't ya think ?  Today I took " Bob " (Homelite T-16 H) out to do a little tilling. It started acting strange from the time I left the garage. I made 2 passes and it would hardly move forward. I had filled the hydro canister earlier. I decided to put it away and check later after pulling some small bushes with the truck. I looked at it and with the clutch out and I could move the drive belt/ Knew then that the belt was shot. It had been adjusted out as far as it could go. I'll take it off tomorrow and go see if I can get a new one. Think I will try to get a Kevelar belt. Not sure on the size but I think it is either a 47" or 48". Nothing on the belt to show the length. Used to have it written down in the book but can't find it. Pictures as I take it apart tomorrow. Still think there should be some warranty left in that belt !  LOL    

Roger.

• tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 05:05 AM

It always amazes me how durable good quality rubber products are. Belts and the old original tires you see on tractors, for instance. I'm not sure the new stuff is made that well.

• hamman, boyscout862 and toppop52 have said thanks

#3 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 06:35 AM

Write the company and demand your money back !!  :D

• hamman and toppop52 have said thanks

#4 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 07:27 AM

Write the company and demand your money back !!  :D

Yep, tell 'em you want the whole $2.99!

• hamman said thank you

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 08:52 AM

If the new belt will just last half that long..............

• hamman said thank you

#6 AlleyKatz51 OFFLINE  

AlleyKatz51
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 55758
  • 41 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 09:28 AM

Actually according to the Gates catalog the T-16H uses a 48" belt for the trans. Unfortunately it is getting hard to find a decent USA made belt anymore. Everything now is from China and will be shot in a couple years. The Gates number if you had a Gates dealer near by is 6848 for the Power Rated. Whatever you get be sure it is a jacketed belt with either a canvas or Kevlar cover and a width of 1/2".

Chuck

• hamman said thank you

#7 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,772 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 10:48 AM

Wow what junk. You would think they could make a belt that would last a little while.

• hamman said thank you

#8 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 06:27 PM

I must apologize to ya all ! I said I would take some pictures and I failed...........(sad face).     I went out this morning and got the belt off in about 20 min.. You have to remove the fan housing fot the hydro and take the brake and clutch levers , rods loose. I went to NAPA and got a new made in " MEXICO "  48" kevlar belt. We are expecting rain and I wanted to get the job done so I forgot the pictures. Well after about 45 min of wrestling with with the reinstallation I finally broke down and removed the rear wheel and got it finally installed. Not having had to do this before I wasn't sure how this was going to go. Next time, if necessary, removal of the rear wheel wil be the first thing I do. While I was there I looked at the brake band and it actually looked pretty good.  

I finished it up and took it for a test run and it runs good. Wind was blowing in the door of the garage at a fast pace. ( gusting to 40 mph) with temps at just about 55*,  and I just couldn't bring myself to close the door after being cooped up all winter.  I think I learned  couple of new words today while trying to finish it up.   Thanks.                                                          Roger. 

#9 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 07:58 PM

vbeltsforless.com  I buy mostly all my v-belt from there, they have really nice stuff and it is cheap.  as long as you don't need them rite away, they do ship very quickly as well. 

• hamman said thank you