• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Kentucky OFFLINE  

Kentucky
  • Member No: 55814
  • 106 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 08:28 PM

I was wondering if your area seems to on or off with what guys say around the forum? The guys here are very knowledgeable. I swear when I see posts like "Price? "Is it worth it?" etc The prices often mentioned are so,so much lower than Im use to seeing :wallbanging:  Tractors that most say are worth $450 would sell around here for $600-$750 all day long...Do the garden tractor prices seem to run low,high or in the middle in your area? In area I say like 2-3 hours in any direction. Thanks

• hamman and T Guiles have said thanks

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,809 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 08:36 PM

They vary widely wherever you are, I live in upstate ny and have seen the same type of tractor in my area listed for huge price differences, just depends on the seller and how much time they spend on e-bay!!!!!!!!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 08:37 PM

What people ask and what they get are two different numbers a lot of times. I think it depends on how smooth a talker you are and how bad you want it.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 08:38 PM

I complain about this a lot, but you asked. The Minneapolis CL has some of the highest prices around for gt's. Anything close to reasonable is gone in hours. You can sell repainted 318's around here for $2,500 with just a mowing deck. A JD 430 or 455 is worth 4-6 grand.
  • hamman said thank you

#5 Kentucky OFFLINE  

Kentucky
  • 106 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 08:47 PM

I complain about this a lot, but you asked. The Minneapolis CL has some of the highest prices around for gt's. Anything close to reasonable is gone in hours. You can sell repainted 318's around here for $2,500 with just a mowing deck. A JD 430 or 455 is worth 4-6 grand.

You know that sounds VERY close to what I see..Just saw a 445 listed for $4800 with over 1.2K hours. That's about what I see them listed for regularly too.Almost everything even remotely reasonable will be gone within the day. Saw a 420 yeaterday that was used, well used with a rusty deck priced at $3000. I laughed about it last night and it was gone today :wallbanging:

Edited by Kentucky, April 27, 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#6 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 08:48 PM

I'm typically only shopping Simplicity/AC, but feel prices are very reasonable around here...sometimes too reasonable to sell anything locally.  I've begun shipping most stuff.  WI, IL, MN, IA, NE & MO all seem to run about 20%+ higher than MI (this is sale prices from tlaking with folks who have sold vs my sale prices for the same items here).  OH, PA & NY tend to run about 10% lower, and IN & KY are about dead even with my area.

I see deals and astronomical prices everywhere...there are always some I laugh at around home.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 junkyard junky OFFLINE  

junkyard junky
  • Member No: 52497
  • 50 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 08:49 PM

When I sell old car parts and cars I usually list it a little higher and then come down. Everyone wants to talk you down on price.

#8 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 08:51 PM

You know that sounds VERY close to what I see..Just saw a 445 listed for $4800 with over 1.2K hours. That's about what I see them listed for regularly too.Almost everything even remotely reasonable will be gone within the day. Saw a 420 yeaterday that was used, well used with a rusty deck priced at $3000. I laughed about it last night and it was gone today :wallbanging:

Now, I've asked folks in both KY and MN if they would ship stuff because they were quite a bargain.  Just a few months ago, a Legacy loader in prestine condition sat on CL for nearly a month...$1200.  A great deal.

Likewise, there was a beautiful, Power Steering equipped Command powere Sovereign with deck and dozer in KY for 2 weeks...$950.  A flat out steal.

I was in contact with both sellers, and their phones were NOT ringing off the hook.  Either item would have been sold and gone by supper here.

• hamman said thank you

#9 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 09:01 PM

I was just looking at CL last night and found a Simplicity rear tiller. The guy said it was " Like New " ! From the picture it appeared to be in relatively good shape but not for $ 1000.00 he is asking for it.  I would say here in N. Michigan prices are very high. They ask a lot but not sure what they get for them ultimately.    Thanks.                                                                                   Roger.

#10 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 10:15 PM

I buy low, sell low, not good at flipping.  Where i live scrapping is big so there's not many deals at the low end.  Other places have more deals but... near me there's some old quality stuff and i don't mind paying for quality long as it checks out.

Also where i live some brands are low, some high, 60's Fords are cheap near me so that's what i have, maybe you can find something like that near you.

Edited by Oldford, April 27, 2014 - 10:39 PM.

#11 zippy1 ONLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 11:20 PM

Here in WI tractor prices went through the roof the last two years. The better collector tractors are a couple hundred more than a couple years ago.

Some are so high priced they've been advertised for three months at the same price. They are not coming down at all. Some they can't give away.

If you find a deal, best get on it, because the next day they are gone. Even attachments are extremely high.

But what get's me is some guy has a broken down, beat up, scrap dog at best tractor for sale, and because it has a pedigree he thinks he should get prime pedigree price.

#12 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 12:57 AM

Anything with age on it around here has the gold price tag on it.  They just don't understand old does not mean worth alot.  I see alot of GTs I would love to have, but I'm not about to pay more for it than a new one goes for.  What really gets me is how these guys advertise an old GT or utility tractor for a high price, with rotten tires.  Spend 2k to put new ags on the rear, pay 2k for the tractor and have 4k in an old tractor that is only worth 1.5k at most.  I just don't get it.  AND, don't talk to me about auctions around here .... they are a large gathering of idiots with more money than brains.... just say'n....

Anyone want to buy an old WD for 1.5k?  Tires are shot, u will have to buy new rubber and it needs a new radiator.   LOL

• boyscout862 and zippy1 have said thanks

#13 Kentucky OFFLINE  

Kentucky
  • 106 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 12:57 AM

Now, I've asked folks in both KY and MN if they would ship stuff because they were quite a bargain.  Just a few months ago, a Legacy loader in prestine condition sat on CL for nearly a month...$1200.  A great deal.

Likewise, there was a beautiful, Power Steering equipped Command powere Sovereign with deck and dozer in KY for 2 weeks...$950.  A flat out steal.

I was in contact with both sellers, and their phones were NOT ringing off the hook.  Either item would have been sold and gone by supper here.

What part of Ky? Im in far Eastern,Ky. In the mountains..We are about 375 miles from say Paducah and on the other end of the state. Plenty of farming down that way, more machines. Its a different world over here. Big tractors arnt that bad really but garden tractors are sky high in my part of Ky. You just don't see many of them.

Edited by Kentucky, April 28, 2014 - 01:15 AM.

#14 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 04:58 AM

Same here if you want a deal better jump     Road trip?

Deutz Allis w/ps 600

http://lexington.cra...4435282927.html

Landlord w/hitch 550

http://lexington.cra...4439673964.html

MF14 400

http://tricities.cra...4429708737.html

Did you try ebay sometimes can get a local deal if you can pickup

#15 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff