• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 04:05 PM

Last April I posted pics of a Gilson built Lawnboy rear engine rider that I found. Yesterday I was able to ride it for the first time.lawn boy rider lf II.jpg

It was a couple of short rides  actually because the left rear tire will not stay"up". I knew the tire had gone down over the winter and figured it would be a simple matter of airing it up and riding. Not so. The tires already have tubes in them. Now the problem... I have tried to remove the wheel and tire from the axle without any success.I have tried breaking the tire loose from the wheel so I can stuff a tube in with no success either.lawn boy rider flat rear tire.jpg   I will get some penetrating oil tomorrow and begin soaking the wheel and axle I suppose. Anybody know a good method of breaking the tire from the wheel with it still on the mower? Thanks.

• zippy1 said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 04:40 PM

Sorry about the tire being short of breath! Hope you can get that figured out easily. First rides are always fun!

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,806 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 05:11 PM

How bad is the leak?  If it is not to bad try that green goop at tsc, it will usually get small leaks.  It works short term, but I would definitely try to get it off and fixed rite before the rim rots out.

Neat looking tractor!!!

#4 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 09:54 PM

I didn't figure any sealant or stopleak in a can would work on a tire with a tube already in it. Tubeless maybe ?

#5 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 11:30 PM

I don't think stop leak will work with a tube.

Is the wheel on the axle with a key way? Soak it with a "good" penetrating oil for a couple days. You may have to apply heat, I had to do that with a cub lawn tractor. Burnt up the paint, but it came off.

As for getting the tire off while on the machine. Pull the valve core and get some good tire irons and a good hammer. It has been done a time or two.

#6 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 09:15 PM

Joy Joy. I bought two wheels and tires today and put them on a spare rear axle I had. I was able to mow my yard with the Lawnboy rider. It does great. I will now pamper it a little with an oil change and fresh air filter. I have enough parts to put together a couple more Gilsons like the Lawnboy.I think I will use all my best parts on a restoration and use the rest to make another working mower. I like them.

• MH81 and pigsitter have said thanks