• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 10:46 PM

OK, I've got some more photos of the 2 tractors for Y'all to help figure out what I've got. Both have the same controls in the same locations best I can tell. Both engines have the same head on them from what I can tell.

IMG_20140506_200858_968.jpg

IMG_20140506_200918_521.jpg

IMG_20140506_201010_457.jpg

IMG_20140506_201015_134.jpg

IMG_20140506_201045_632.jpg

IMG_20140506_201252_239.jpg

IMG_20140506_200858_968.jpg

Plus a box full of parts that I haven't really gone thru yet.

IMG_20140506_201116_667.jpg

IMG_20140506_201004_012.jpg

IMG_20140506_201155_371.jpg

IMG_20140506_200954_507.jpg

IMG_20140506_201102_557.jpg

IMG_20140506_201030_854.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#17 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 11:20 PM

I suppose to be more concise I should call them C models and not L models as both "appear" to be newer.  The one is definetly a C8 as it has 3 levers on the right handlebar, one for F/R, one for the H/L planetary and one aside the fuel tank for the swiftmatic (H/L axle), the second machine your pics aren't descriptive enough your leaving stuff out like a whole right side shot so we can see the levers.  In any case all the parts pretty much swap around from various years and its possible to have "frankenmachines",,,,there are folks who can tell you from slight differences in mags, carbs, filter housings etc if they are original, but Im not one of those guys. As said the model (gearing) and serials should be stamped into the plate on the gas tanks.  I believe when they started putting Kohlers on em they put a tag on the lower left side of the front advance housing or that's where my Com12 has its serial. 

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#18 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:19 AM

js5020, I'm going to disagree with you about "C" vs "L" tractors.  I think the most defining feature of a "C" tractor is the change in the forward/reverse control.  The "L" model tractors have the HI/LO and Forward/Reverse lever on the same bolt through the handle, which I can see in the pictures above. The "C" model tractors moved the Forward/Reverse handle away from the HI/LO lever, mounted separately, and about 3-6 inches closer to the handle.  Further, Gravely reversed their traditional "Push the lever backward to go forward" so that you now pushed forward to go forward,  

With the slanted plug, the engines are pre 1967 or whenever it was exactly that Gravely switched to the "C" model production.  The fact that the carberator has the air intake facing forward also indicates pre "C" production.  I think the cannister air filter indicates later model "L" production.  I think the official timeline is: 5 hp from start of production till around 1963??, then an increase in rated hp to 6.6 until around 1967? when two changes were made, the spark changed from slanted to straight up and down, and the air filter location moved from under the hood next to the cylinder to out on the handlebar, and the carb air intake moved from facing forward to facing backward.  That configuration was rated at 7.6 hp.  

I don't know all the ins and outs of the air filter, but early models that I am aware of used an oil bath filter.  At some point, (MAYBE in 1963?) that filter was changed to a pleated paper type that still needed to be oiled and the mounting location was left unchanged.  Then in 1967, the air filter was moved to mount on the side of the engine over the carb, and changed to the same style filter used by most Kohler engines of the time.

The oil system provides some clues as well.  Again, I am not familiar with all the nuances, but there was an early low pressure, then a high pressure but with only partial fitration, then finally high pressure full flow filtration.  Full flow filtration was characterized by a spin-on automotive type filter (Fram 8A, but the shorter versions like maybe a 43? fit more easily into the space.)  Non-full flow was characterized by multiple oil line connections directly into the filter.  I have a hunch that tractors like that were strong candidates for conversion to a spin-on type filter, as I think the multi-connect style filter is NLA.

Anyway, check for a plaque about 2x3 just to the right of the gas fill cap.  We'll know more when we know the serial number.

#19 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:59 AM

js5020, I'm going to disagree with you about "C" vs "L" tractors.  I think the most defining feature of a "C" tractor is the change in the forward/reverse control.  The "L" model tractors have the HI/LO and Forward/Reverse lever on the same bolt through the handle, which I can see in the pictures above. The "C" model tractors moved the Forward/Reverse handle away from the HI/LO lever, mounted separately, and about 3-6 inches closer to the handle.  Further, Gravely reversed their traditional "Push the lever backward to go forward" so that you now pushed forward to go forward,  

With the slanted plug, the engines are pre 1967 or whenever it was exactly that Gravely switched to the "C" model production.  The fact that the carberator has the air intake facing forward also indicates pre "C" production.  I think the cannister air filter indicates later model "L" production.  I think the official timeline is: 5 hp from start of production till around 1963??, then an increase in rated hp to 6.6 until around 1967? when two changes were made, the spark changed from slanted to straight up and down, and the air filter location moved from under the hood next to the cylinder to out on the handlebar, and the carb air intake moved from facing forward to facing backward.  That configuration was rated at 7.6 hp.  

I don't know all the ins and outs of the air filter, but early models that I am aware of used an oil bath filter.  At some point, (MAYBE in 1963?) that filter was changed to a pleated paper type that still needed to be oiled and the mounting location was left unchanged.  Then in 1967, the air filter was moved to mount on the side of the engine over the carb, and changed to the same style filter used by most Kohler engines of the time.

The oil system provides some clues as well.  Again, I am not familiar with all the nuances, but there was an early low pressure, then a high pressure but with only partial fitration, then finally high pressure full flow filtration.  Full flow filtration was characterized by a spin-on automotive type filter (Fram 8A, but the shorter versions like maybe a 43? fit more easily into the space.)  Non-full flow was characterized by multiple oil line connections directly into the filter.  I have a hunch that tractors like that were strong candidates for conversion to a spin-on type filter, as I think the multi-connect style filter is NLA.

Anyway, check for a plaque about 2x3 just to the right of the gas fill cap.  We'll know more when we know the serial number.

Well not being a fan of the T head engine machines Im inclined to think I got the spark plug configurations reversed and you are correct.  Many folk refer to the later T head equipped machines as C standing for convertible not commercial, in any case its another hair splitting discussion within collector circles.

#20 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 09:13 AM

Here's a better photo of the second tractor.

IMG_20140507_072741_743.jpg IMG_20140507_072811_765.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#21 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 09:25 AM

The machine above (second tractor) does not have the swiftmatic lever and the "hood" looks like it started out as a straight L/C convertible, not a super.  Check the data plate on the gas tank it should be stamped with the model and gearing (ie. CI, LI, C,L).  Some folk don't mind a 4 speed machine and say the diff asm is stronger than the swiftmatic 8 speed.  The 8 speed is nice as it covers all the gearing options in one machine, however Im pretty certain the gear reduction wheels don't work on the 8 speed as they don't have the mount holes in the axle castings.  Maybe you found a chip of gold and its a C/L S???

#22 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 10:09 AM

Hopefully this will clear up what these are,

First tractor, orange

IMG_20140507_095424_123.jpg

This is a 1966 by the serial and a 1967 by the Man. number??

Second tractor, red

IMG_20140507_095647_702.jpg

So this is a 1947 model L?

• Alc said thank you

#23 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 10:44 AM

Gravely Serial Number List

Attached File  GravelySerialNumber.pdf   40.4KB   45 downloads

#24 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 05:17 PM

Slant plug is 6.6hp. Get the L8 running and use the L for parts. The L should have been named the "R" for run. High gear on the L will have you running to keep up. The L8 is the cadillac of the 2. Once you get one up and running you will find all kinds of uses for it. Dont want to tear up your good mower, grab the L8 and bush hog. That rotary plow will impress you too.

#25 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 06:04 PM

Is the "L" just a run of the mill common gt? Are both of them 6.6 HP?

#26 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 06:19 PM

Not necessarily "run of the mill" the designation of L denotes speed. L high speed best for mowing/ running for us over 50 folks, LI intermediate speed (most folks like these) best of both worlds?  and the somewhat rare LS slow speed best for gardening, snowblowing etc.

As others have said the L8 is the one you want, if necessary rob parts from the L to make the 8 the runner.

#27 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 07:56 PM

If both have the slanted spark plug they are 6.6hp. The L seems to be the most common found nowdays. The HP is kinda misleading, its not like a Briggs 6hp. The T heads have huge flywheels inside, they are part of the crankshaft. The Torque of these are big. I think they reach peak torque around 1800-2000rpm. I think the max rpm is around 2600. I hardly ever run my brush hog above a fast idle and it will cut what ever i can run over. Same for the rotary plow. Gravely started going to the higher rpm engines (kohlers) when they started making mowing decks bigger than 40 inches.

#28 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:36 PM

You got a good rotary plow and the best 30 inch brush hog. The brush hog should have a blade about 3/8 inch thick on it for brush cutting, if it can go over it, it can cut it. The tiller is the old style, dont  use it for breaking hard ground, it will bust the casting.

oldgravelys.net should have you IPLs and manuals. Richards lawn and Garden in WV will have any part you need.

Yes, they both have very thick blades on them. Massive mowers for sure.

#29 Rick OFFLINE  

Rick

Tractorholic

• Member No: 344
  • 15 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 10:49 AM

I have an electric start 6.6 super convertable as well as a rope start 7.6 super convertable. They are both real good machines I use them alot.