• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 10:11 AM

OK all of you southern guys pay ATTENTION...........heck we will even accept you yankee guys and gals too........lol

I was harassing a relative about plowing his land on garden tractors and he has actually accepted my offer and says that "I will ALWAYS have ground for you to plow"  He lives in Preston, GA (that is about 2 hours due south of Atlanta, and about an hour and half due East of Montgomery)  I am not sure how much land that he currently farms but I know for a fact that there is a field in front of my aunts house that is over 100 acres.  Most of the ground in that area is a VERY sandy red clay............EASY Plowing!  If I can get enough guys interested and committed, I will start making the arrangements to hold the First Annual "PROTHO FARMS" plow day this fall.

AS of right now, I know that we have a plow day in Guntersville, AL, one in Ball Hollow, KY and possibly one in South Carolina this fall..............This would give us one more venue to get our tractors out and have some fun.

I am also looking at a couple of pieces of land in the Birmingham area to possibly host a plow day here in the future.......

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 10:16 AM

When would you think about having it Robert?

#3 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 10:53 AM

This fall..............He has already done the Spring plowing and is in the middle of planting right now.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#4 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 12:22 PM

I would be interested.

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 01:20 PM

I would be interested in your plow day also Robert.. :thumbs:

#6 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 05:10 PM

Since the event will be in South Ga......it can be held a little later in the year and not have to worry about killer cold temps. All of his fields are being planted in Cotton and Peanuts and he is usually done harvesting in October.  The peanut fields would be good plowing because in the process of harvesting the peanuts, they actually plow the peanuts up .......nice loose soil... The cotton fields might be a little bit of a challenge if they do not bush hog the fields after harvest.  Will start working with him to see what kind of details we can work out.  For those of you that want to "camp out" That dont wont be a problem I think but will double check that as well.  There is one "chain" motel that I know of as well as one "family owned" hotel.  Since this is in the middle of farm country, it is 20-30 miles in either direction to get to "civilization"  There are a couple of small restaurants within 10 miles or so for those that want somewhere to eat.  I will start brain storming with him and see what we can come up with..............would love to see this happen. Might even talk my other cousin in to bring out the Twin Engine Cub Cadet.  Like I said this is a very agricultural area and I am sure that we would get a warm welcome from the neighbors.

If we get enough interest and participation, this could work into being a Spring/Fall Plow Day event.  He has enough fields that we could rotate from season/season and year/year.

Edited by Robert Webb, April 27, 2014 - 05:12 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 05:29 PM

Doubt I can make it down there, but it sounds like it would be a whole lot of fun!

#8 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 06:23 AM

I am looking at doing this the weekend of Novermber 9th.  We could plow Friday and ALL DAY Saturday and not run out of ground to plow.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 07:29 AM

Would be nice if I could make it, but I'll have to wait & see.......hoping!

#10 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 08:19 AM

OK so that you guys can get an idea of where the plow day will be ..........

W Centerpoint Rd
Preston, GA 31824
32.031337, -84.601132

That is not the exact location of the plow fields but will be within 5 miles of there. So....start making your plans to attend........lol

Daniel............dont make me send someone to pick you up and DRAG you kicking and screaming all the way to Ga..........lol  Yeah right, like you would be kicking and screaming...............ONLY if they were driving to slow.

Daniel....I will probably be calling you some time in the next couple of weeks to pick your brain since you have done this a couple of times already....

• olcowhand said thank you

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 09:14 AM

Shoot, That's closer then I thought. Only 14hrs, just a short drive. :D

#12 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 09:59 AM

Shoot, That's closer then I thought. Only 14hrs, just a short drive. :D

Ok I will you to the "EXPECTED" list.............lol

• Texas Deere and Horse and mrmd have said thanks

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 10:59 AM

8hrs one way for me, so it would require overnight for me to handle it.  All depends on how things are around here, and if I can get away for 2 days in a row.  I will definitely try!

#14 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 04:49 AM

Just thought that I would update all of you and tease you a little............I am going to start planning this event for the weekend of November 7-8th.... For those of you that are close enough to be there Friday afternoon, we will be plowing Friday and Saturday.

This is a picture of a field that he plowed a week or so ago...........NICE soil and LONG furrows.

South Ga Dirt

• olcowhand, MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#15 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 08:02 PM

Ok guys and gals...........I know that this has been mentioned in a couple of other places but this Plow Day is a GO................November 7&8th................I am still working on the final details but as I get them nailed down I will pass them along.  I talked to Willie this morning and he is trying to decide which is the best field for us to plow and the most convenient field.

If you THINK you might be able to come, please post a comment so that I can get a possible head count.  Hamburgers and Hot Dogs will be provided for lunch on Saturday.