• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ironcub OFFLINE  

ironcub
  • Member No: 56184
  • 12 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 11:17 PM

In my search for a brinly sleeve hitch a guy told me that you can rip bolts out of your tractor from plowing. Has anyone ever experienced this or heard of it to be true?

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 06:05 AM

If your tractor is designed to pull a plow and you keep the bolts tight and don't try to plow too fast the chances of damage are minimal IMO. It could happen, but if your equipment is in good shape and setup properly for the job I wouldn't let the remote chance of damage stop me from using the tractor for a job it was designed to do. 

• tractorgarden said thank you

#3 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 07:25 AM

SURE !! It will happen to the big ones too LOL . As Brian said, keep things tight and don't go too fast(pretty hard to do ) and you will be just fine. Just be sure your tractor is designed for ground engaging and it should be fine. :thumbs:

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 07:50 AM

Walking can lead to a broken leg too, but we don't let that stop us!  You can have a bolt break while not even pulling a load.  Usually it's operator error, or just bad luck.  Don't let it keep you from using your tractor.

#5 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 09:43 AM

Check everything over carefully and then put your tractor to work. They are built to work as long as it was designed for ground engaging as previously stated.

Geno

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 10:11 AM

Ironcub, it might not hurt to give us a little more information about your tractor.  

#7 ironcub OFFLINE  

ironcub
  • 12 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 01:00 PM

Its a 1650 ih cub. Im very much familiar with plowing growing up farming but I've always used 4020s and 806s and so on. But I have never used a small tractor like this before. Im sure it will be fine but I got the double tap hitch receiver with ears for extra support. Cause otherwise the plow would be pulled by only 3 bolts.. another guy mentioned to me about the 3 bolts at the lower part of the rearend cover have been known to pull out before. So I was a little curious.
  • MH81 said thank you

#8 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 29, 2014 - 10:02 PM

If you use the correct bolt length on the 1650 you will be fine and of course keep them tight but not to tight .  The very bottom bolt has by some owners been either installed to tight or the bolt was to long and the casting has broken out.  That said,  use the correct length and you will have a great time plowing.  

• MH81 said thank you

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 07:32 AM

Its a 1650 ih cub. Im very much familiar with plowing growing up farming but I've always used 4020s and 806s and so on. But I have never used a small tractor like this before. Im sure it will be fine but I got the double tap hitch receiver with ears for extra support. Cause otherwise the plow would be pulled by only 3 bolts.. another guy mentioned to me about the 3 bolts at the lower part of the rearend cover have been known to pull out before. So I was a little curious.

Now that I know what tractor, I can understand the concern for breakage. I think the ones that broke had incorrect length bolts in the hitch receiver. They probably used the stock bolts with the thicker part in there.

#10 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 08:53 AM

And it looks like telling us what you had brought some knowledgeable folks into the discussion!!

Good luck to you, take some pictures if you have a chance and post them.

#11 ironcub OFFLINE  

ironcub
  • 12 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 02:22 PM

Sure will post pictures. Im a dummy when it comes to posting pictures and stuff but I'll get my wife to do it. She somehow posted the picture of my cub on here.

#12 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 02:40 PM

A 1650 will be fine as long as like has been said the bolts going into the lower 3 point bracket are tight and the right length.  I think were this is coming from is experience with the Cub Cadet Corp. built 82 series and the following series they built up till they built the "cyclops" models as these tractors had cast aluminum rear ends in them and they did in fact have issues with this problem.  1650 though, run it and don't worry.