• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dandenham OFFLINE  

dandenham
  • Member No: 56227
  • 5 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 10:02 PM

I have a John Deere 445 tractor with 1200 hrs use. I purchased it in 1998. I have several implements including a 40 loader, tiller, 54 inch mower, snow blower and plow blade.

The tractor chattering occurs when lifting any of my implements, also when steering. Action is not smooth, but jumpy. I can feel the chatter in the steering wheel. Steering is not smooth until the tractor has been operating for some time. Now it has gotten to the point where it never does get real smooth.

This has occured in the past, and changing hydraulic fluid resolved the issue.  However this time new fluid did nothing to resolve it. The chattering lessens when the tractor has been in operation for a while. It has gotten to the point it takes too much time to do any useful work.

My local dealer says it sounds like cavitation. My question is, has anyone out there had this problem, and if so did you or your repair person find the problem, and how was it repaired.

I like to do my own repairs when possible, but I don't know where to start on this issue.

Thanks,

Dan

#2 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 06:57 AM

I am assuming you also changed the filter.Was there any debris in the oil and did it appear to be clean?

#3 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 07:16 AM

I've had issues in the past using Napa or other filters on some of our JD equipment. They fit and worked but flow was reduced and caused overheating and cavitation.

Edited by bh115577, April 26, 2014 - 07:17 AM.

• Alc and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,741 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 07:27 AM

First off, welcome to the forum Dan. :wave:

It sounds like you are low on fluid, getting air in the system, or the pump is not building pressure up to spec.

We'll skip the low on fluid, but you are using low viscosity hy-trans, correct?

Does the tractor do it no matter what implement is attached? Does it do it when you have no attachments on the tractor?

I was going to go with a relief valve issue, but your statement of it doing when cold has thrown me. Normally, a bad seal issue gets worse at it warms. But, we'll concentrate on the relief valve and try to rule it out.

First off, have you messed with the hydro tow valve at all? The freewheeling knob, make sure it is turned back all the way.

Next culprit could be the relief valve in the pump. You need to pull it and make sure it is clean, the o-rings are in good shape, and it doesn't have any crud in it. I hope that isn't it, that little devil is spendy.

The box on the right labeled #18 is the one I'm referring to: (click on pic to enlarge)

MP30454________UN08NOV02.gif

• olcowhand said thank you

#5 dandenham OFFLINE  

dandenham
  • 5 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for the replies and suggestions on possible problem areas. To answer a few questions:

I have always used HyGard JD20 hydraulic fluid, changing it every 2 to 3 years. I'm not sure about the filter. I had a NAPA filter in my shop cabinet and may used it this time. I'll check on that.

The chattering is there with or without any attachments. Without attachments it exhibits the problem in the power steering with very jumpy steering.

I will check on the filter this AM after it warms up a bit, it's about 23 deg out this morning here in beautiful Central Oregon at 4200 feet elevation. :D

My grandson and I will be hauling and splitting wood this morning. I'll check on the filter and the fluid level at that time. I have been checking the fluid level with the dipstick all the way in. I noticed in the Owner's Manual it says i should be checking it w/o screwing in the filler cap/dipstick, so I may be a little low on fluid.

I'll let all know what I find and if I make any progress towards resolution.

Dan

• Alc said thank you

#6 dandenham OFFLINE  

dandenham
  • 5 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 12:20 PM

Well, it seems I did not have enough fluid. The Operator's Manual emphasizes not over filling, and I erred in not putting enough fluid in. It didn't even reach the dipstick when measured properly (which I was not doing). So now it is operating as it should with no chattering or excessive whining. After all these years I should know better.

So, make sure your system is full, but no too full. It is very sensitive.

BTW, it does have a JD filter.

Thanks

D

• olcowhand and Alc have said thanks

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,741 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 12:33 PM

Leave the NAPA filter on the shelf, use JD filters on the hydro. Glad to hear you're back up and running.

#8 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 03:51 PM

Leave the NAPA filter on the shelf, use JD filters on the hydro. Glad to hear you're back up and running.

You don't think Wix filters are a good filter?

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,741 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 05:07 PM

You don't think Wix filters are a good filter?

Personally, I think Wix makes the best filters out there. But that particular JD filter is made to a different spec. Problems have been reported using several brands of filters, including a Wix on a 700 hour 445 that had nothing wrong with it before that service.
  • Username and dandenham have said thanks

#10 dandenham OFFLINE  

dandenham
  • 5 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 03:02 PM

My grandson and I cut, hauled and split a couple cords of firewood yesterday, and my 445 performed as usual.

After warming up the 445, I shut it down and waited about 5 minutes then checked the fluid level. It was right at the full mark. However, I noticed a lot of small bubbles. Almost like a froth. So maybe I'm not out of the woods yet? Or should I expect to see a lot of air mixed into the fluid?

Thoughts anyone?

Dan

#11 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 05:09 PM

Personally, I think Wix makes the best filters out there. But that particular JD filter is made to a different spec. Problems have been reported using several brands of filters, including a Wix on a 700 hour 445 that had nothing wrong with it before that service.

That's good to know as I have a 445.