#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 08:39 AM

Well, yesterday we sold off both of our cows, the one (mother) was a Irish Dexter and then her calf which was 9 months old.

We had a guy coming out to get the calf, he showed up at 4:00 and he bought him.

The guy left and then called 5 minutes later saying his truck broke down :( .

Well I headed off to find him and sure enough he barely made it a half mile when the wheel bearing went out on the front of his pickup ('96 ford f250 4x4)

So I drove him to town (4 miles away) and since it's a small town there isn't any parts houses, just a hardware store and tire repair shop.

I stopped by the hardware because they do carry some car parts, but as I figured they didn't have anything.

So then I checked with the tire shop, but they don't carry any parts on hand.

I then drove him to the next "big city" (18 miles one way) and they have a O'Reilly's and luckily they had the parts. So while I was in town I called my brother to gather up the tools and go over to get started on it, we got back to his pickup right when my brother got there.

We pulled it apart just to find out we needed a specialized tool, so my brother and I headed to the shop to make a tool and the guy called a friend of his to come down because he has the right tools.

The tool we made worked pretty good, but we still couldn't get it apart, the big nut that we where trying to get off was goofed up and it was cross threaded and would not come off.

We waited around a little bit waiting for the guys friend to show up, it took them a while because they where 65miles way.

Then when they finally came they where on motorcycles and the tool he brought was the wrong one :wallbanging: .

The friend said the wheel bearings are good, but it is the 4x4 locking hub that has gone out, so he said to tighten the wheel bearings and reassemble it and it should be fine. I guess when the front locking hub went out it loosened the bearings which was causing the problem, once the bearings where tight, it all seemed to be fine.
Well 5 hours went past and it was dark, and the idiots on motorcycles said that whey where surprised on how cold it had gotten now that it is dark and they have a hour and a half drive back. So we then loaded two big motorcycles one in the back of the pickup and one in the back of the stock trailer (the cow was in the front of the trailer) and we finally finished just after 9:00.

What a day, but at least we got him back on the road,

• powerking56, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 7 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,791 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 09:07 AM

Hopefully today goes better. Good Luck, Rick

• BTS said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 09:31 AM

That's quite a story! You really went out of your way to help! Well done!

#4 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 10:40 AM

Wow. That was a lot to sell some cows LOL. I hope he at least thanked you for spending a day working on his junk.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 11:09 AM

Was worth a lot more than just a "thanks", but if he at least showed appreciation, then it takes the sting out of that kind of day.

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 12:07 PM

Very seldom will I take the bike when I'm going to do a repair.  You just don't know what you are going to run into and you can't carry that much on a bike.  They really should have come better prepared.  I do hope that guy offered you more then just a thank you.

#7 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 10:55 PM

Yeah, the guy couldn't of been nicer and he was really thankful for us helping him.

He paid for the gas to town and he offered to pay us for the help, but we told him not to worry about it.

We where glad to help him get on his way.

• sacsr, pigsitter and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,868 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 11:16 PM

Everything my Olde Deere has said about the folks on this site is true. You are a considerate, generous, and selfless group of people.
  • DougT, grnspot110, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks