• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DJ54 OFFLINE  

DJ54

• Member No: 8535
  • 75 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 10:31 PM

Brought another DB out of the stable. It's a 5752. It's been re-powered with a 80's model Tecumseh, and doubt it has very many running hours on that particular engine. Just had to post a few pics of the fuel line, and funky exhaust installed by the PO, before Dad bought it. Looks like a disaster waiting to happen..!!

Having a hard time finding the exact model of the Tecumseh. No tags found yet with a model number. The only good hit on a part number was the ignition cam, and it was used on nearly 150 different models.

Magnets were pretty rusty, so got them buffed off. Will try to see if it has spark hopefully later tomorrow. Don't have much faith in a approx. 35 year old condenser, but we'll see...

Hoping to get at least 3, possibly 4 Bradley's up & going for in the garden this year. So much easier to have one harnessed up for one specific purpose.  :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 917.5752 DB 002.jpg
  • 917.5752 DB 003.jpg
  • 917.5752 DB 004.jpg

• Alc, bgkid2966 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 11:03 PM

wow those are some cool tires. i think the numbers are stamped into the cover over the flywheel by the three head bolts in your last picture, but i might be wrong on that 

#3 DJ54 OFFLINE  

DJ54

• 75 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 06:15 AM

I'll take a closer look today. Thanks..!!

The tires are recaps. I have another one with the same tread. All are on Moore's brand tires. Moore's was a really neat little store, up until sometime in the 70's I believe that had everything from Automotive/Lawn & Garden, to house paint, and general hardware, to bicycle parts. But not sure if they were capped locally with that particular tread or not. Maybe bought through Moore's with that tread. Nothing like REAL rubber tires, LOL... 

Edited by DJ54, April 25, 2014 - 06:25 AM.

#4 DJ54 OFFLINE  

DJ54

• 75 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 09:56 AM

Thanks nbent, found the number. Couldn't see it yesterday evening because, #1 the funky exhaust system was blocking that particular view from my stool. #2, it was pretty rusty as you can see in the picture.

Wire brushed it off, and got the numbers.  H30  35346P   Ser. #  3327B. So I'm going to take a wild stab and guess the engine is an '83 model, made on the 327th day of said year, from what I quickly gleaned from checking a couple pages surfing for dating an engine's manufacture date.

Went to Tecumseh, and found the part number for the condenser if I need one. Will see if this one is OK first.

Gawd, I just love the 'net for looking up stuff like this..!!  :)

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#5 DJ54 OFFLINE  

DJ54

• 75 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 08:31 PM

We've got spark..!! Tried the original condenser, and nuttin'. Took the flywheel back off, removed the condenser, and took it to town to get another one. Took a few minutes to get the engine info, and part number. We've got the greatest 'lil shop for parts, that is a Wheel Horse/Toro Dealer. Been in business since the early 60's. A guy I went to school with married the owners daughter, and now runs the place. Bob knows his stuff..!! Never even looked at the paper I had with the info, just glanced at it, and headed for the parts bins. Less than a minute later, he laid it on the counter.

Love that place..!! 99% of the time I go in there for the older engine parts, or  parts for my Wheel Horse's, they have it in stock. And always seems to cost less than the best price on the net, for OEM parts. I give them all of the business I can, not many Mom & Pop places like that around anymore.

Got a couple of days of volunteer work to do on Bridle Trails in a State Forest, so will be Monday before I get back to the project. Got the gas tank off, and looked inside. Kinda' rusty, so got some stuff in it soaking for the weekend. Carb. needs removed and cleaned too, while I'm at it. Got new fuel line today to replace what's on it. Supposed to withstand the ethanol/additives in gas nowadays. Was only 70 cents more per foot.

#6 DJ54 OFFLINE  

DJ54

• 75 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 06:02 AM

Got the 5752 up and running..!! Put the new condenser in, filed & re-adjusted the points and I got good spark. Got the engine reassembled, then on to the fuel tank.

The inside of the tank was pretty rusty. More of a surface rust, but somewhat scaly in the bottom. After doing some searching on the net, I found a product called "Metal Rescue". A water based rust remover that a few guys in forum's swore by. Found the best price at a local Mennards, so got a gallon jug. Right at $25.00 for the jug. I threw a good sized handful of nails that came with some electric fence insulators in the tank, and shook them around for a bit to get the rough stuff loose. Poured the Metal Rescue in the tank, and let it set for 24 hrs. I then emptied the contents back in the jug, as it is reusable, up to a point, until it gets too diluted with rust particles, according to the directions. Rinsed with water a couple of times, then put a bit of Acetone in the tank, and swished it around so as to dry it out. I'm happy to report, it did a pretty decent job!! A bit of gas for a final rinse, then filled the tank.

I added a sediment bowl, and put the new fuel line on. Primed the fuel system, and in 4 pulls it was running. Had to do some tweeking on the carb settings, but got her to idle right down to a putt.

I hooked up to a set of cultivators that Dad had modified in the mid 80's. He'd taken a spare set of cultivators, and attached the partial framework of a 12 shank spike type, horse drawn cultivator frame to it, using 4 old bent/broken DB shanks. One end has spikes, and the other spoon like teeth. The front two, I left the spikes down, but the rest I flipped from what he had to the spoon end down. He'd made this to cultivate when plants were just first coming up.  Just enough to stir the ground, and get the weeds in the two leaf button stage. I got all of the teeth adjusted, setting it on the concrete floor in the shop. Time to try it out..!!

As you can see, the garden dirt had a bit of a crust from all of the rain, but still a bit damp. I'm pleased to report it did very well..!! I did make a pass out a row, then came back the same row. Stirred just the top 1-1/2" or so of the surface, and seemed like thousands of the tiny silver thread roots from weeds brought to the top..!! I had to stop 3 times cultivating 4 rows, to get a lump of dirt off of a Pea plant. Not bad... The little Tecumseh idled right along, nice & easy. Seems to be a torquey little devil..!!

Here's a few pics... Two of the cultivator, and one showing the crusty damp ground. I tried to upload a video of it in action, but says I'm not permitted to upload this kind of file. So, I possibly  have to upload to say like YouTube first, then attach the link to that..??

I do need to replace the adjuster on the left hand side. It is worn so bad where it pivot's, there is close to an inch difference in depth. There are several spares hanging in the shed, so may dig them out sometime this week, and replace it.

Since I've got this one up and going, and going to rain for a few days this week, I may dig out the set with the 5 tine weeders attached, and see how they work.

LUV my toys..!! Especially when they can save me a LOT of work..!!  :) 

Attached Thumbnails

• 12 shank cultivators 001.jpg
  • 12 shank cultivators 002.jpg
  • 12 shank cultivators 003.jpg

• Alc and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#7 DJ54 OFFLINE  

DJ54

• 75 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 08:36 AM

Got the video loaded..!!  :)