• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 case1man OFFLINE  

case1man
  • Member No: 40153
  • 101 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 08:14 PM

working ground with the tiller today and was doing a great job then hit a hard pack of ground tines are locked up cant move by hand belts still spin . I was wondering if I stripped something or a shear pin  its a IH 1a tiller on a cub 128 any help where to start looking thanks

#2 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 08:50 PM

You might have a rock jammed in the tines.  I've had it happen multiple times on mine and depending on how tight the belts were it would either throw them off or they would still turn but the tines wouldn't.  Try looking under it on the back side up to about the middle top.  That's where they jam in when it happens to me.  You might need a flash light to see the rock.  Hope this helps.       Stewart

• case1man said thank you

#3 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 24, 2014 - 09:09 PM

I second that ... check the tines for a small rock or a root or something between the tines and the shroud.

Edited by rdehli, April 24, 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#4 case1man OFFLINE  

case1man
  • Member No: 40153
  • 101 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 05:17 PM

checked the tines didn't see any thing tines are locked tight

#5 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 09:00 PM

If there's nothing stuck then it probably broke one or both of the chains inside the case.  There is a key on the big pulley on the tiller but it probably would have made a lot of noise rubbing on the cover if is was loose enough to shear.  There is no adjustment or shear pins on them so when they get worn it makes it easy for them to knuckle over on themselves and eventually break.  If that's what hapend I'd get prices on everything before I started ordering parts.  It might be cheaper to find a good used one.  My dad had a customer at work 25+ years ago that wore a tiller out and insisted it be rebuilt and when he got the bill made the comment that it would have been cheaper to just buy a new one.           Stewart