• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 Stumpgrinder OFFLINE  

Stumpgrinder
  • Member No: 50816
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 08:25 PM

JD 212's are well built and easy to work on. They are not nimble; they have a larger than average turning radius. (if that matters at your place) They do have the most reasonably priced implements and attachments in the JD lineup. Finding a snowblower is a piece of cake. Tons of 37a blowers out there, and they are well built. Finding a tiller for one is an exercise in patience, and being able to spot a good deal and go get it quick. The 47 mowing deck for these are tough, parts are cheap and plentiful, and they cut very well.

The 212 has a 4 speed manual transmission. Very reliable, but not as handy as a hydrostatic tranny, imo.

Yes looking very closely at one for sale with 47 deck, push blade and snow blower with the rear lift in place. I could find an integral hitch for it and pull a small plow and disc which would be cheaper than a tiller I would expect. Could it handle that work.

#17 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,708 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 09:09 PM

Easily. You don't neccesarily need to find a JD hitch for it. The Craftsman sleeve hitch for garden tractors made in the 90's and early 2000's will work on a 212 with very little modifications.
  • MH81 said thank you

#18 Stumpgrinder OFFLINE  

Stumpgrinder
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 05:06 AM

Thanks

#19 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 06:20 AM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. You can download manuals from our Manuals Section(3 for free per day). You will probably be best off with the common brands for your area. For me that is Bolens and Simplicities. Also check with friends, relatives and coworkers, you will be amazed what is hiding in peoples yards. Good Luck, Rick

#20 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,940 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 08:33 AM

Welcome to GTT.

This is one of those loaded questions, ask 10 people, get 10 different answers and recommendations.

I have to ask on your mechanical abilities?? Seeing as you have limited the budget to under $1K, you will be in the market for something older that most likley will require repair upfront or inthe future.

I can't help on the green stuff, don't know about them and usually too much $$$ for me.

As for other brands, the simplicity/allis lines are good tractors, but stay with the 60's -70's stuff. I have a '70 Allis HB212, it was the best cutting tractor I ever used, currently waiting a motor transplant after 20 yrs of hibernation. Implements can be hard to find and sometimes expensive. The newer Legacy I believe is heavy built tractor, but doubt you will find one under $2000 with implements.

I have a collection of Older sears, Good tractors but they have their issues too. They use a "sub Cat 0" rear 3pt hitch meaning their implements have closer attachment points than standard Cat 0. Not to be scared though, they are plentiful if you look. Sears also switched to a SSI module ignition in '68 up through late 70's on their Tecumseh engines. They burn out and are very epxensive to find an exact replacement, but there are updated conversions for around $150. Sears also used the twin onan's in their SS machines which are powerhouses, but parts can be expensive. Sears did have a 3 speed tranny with high/low, very nice feature.

You mentioned the Craftsman. I shy away from the newer ones for anything other than mowing, but I know there are members I've seen add a rear hitch and work the ground hard, even a few with some types of front buckets. I think that 4000 you mentioned is a decent newer garden tractor.

Bolens and  Wheel horse are also both decent brands

Of course Cub cadet will be close to the top too. Had I not gotten into the Sears, I would've went the Cub route.

One thing about implements, if you go with a sleeve hitch on your tractor, basically any brand of implement with a sleeve style hitch will fit that tractor. That will open you door some if you are looking for attachments.

Look through our tractor brands section and browse some. Maybe that will give you a decent idea of something that would catch your eye.

#21 Stumpgrinder OFFLINE  

Stumpgrinder
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for the help. Mechanical abilities are good I actually enjoy working on old motors, motor cycles, cars, etc. as long as I have a manual, I don't shy away from mechanical repairs. Any tractor I buy will probably never see a shop unless I get stuck on a major repair. I will keep searching!

#22 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the welcome. Southern Michigan is my area which explains the need for a snow machine given the winter we just had.

That's prime hunting area for the Bolens tractors.

There were a LOT of Bolens tractors sold in that area, and you should be able to search CraigsList and find a decent tractor, and just about any of the more common attachments like a front blade, snowblower, etc.

For instance:

http://detroit.craig...4424845023.html

Edited by OldBuzzard, April 26, 2014 - 11:41 AM.

#23 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,465 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 12:32 PM

I wouldn't worry about brand or specific model, find something in good shape that does what you want it to do, or can easily be modified to. Most people over think these things.

#24 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,309 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 12:39 PM

Although the Bolens are great machines parts are sometimes another story..

You will need a sturdy GT to accomplish what you want.  An older tractor is more cost effective but may let you down when you need it most..  That's why you gotta buy 2 or 3 or...  4!  LOL..  

Another consideration is what the lay of the land is @ your place and just what attachments you want..  It will dictate your needs further..  

(Diff lock?  4 W/D?  PTO?  etc..)  Look around and see what's available..  It's prime time right now to pick up used machines for a bargain as folks are buying new equipment or just unloading the shed..  If you see a worthy machine for a good price-  Don't hesitate as they get grabbed up quick!

BTW-  Welcome to GTTalk!!   :wave:

• petrj6 said thank you

#25 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 02:41 PM

To the contrary, Bolens parts are very easy to find, especially for the tube frames which were produced from 1963-1978.

There was very little difference in the various models, and parts will interchange.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#26 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 03:02 PM

Your not looking in the right areas then!

Replacement Parts are plentiful for just about every machine made 1970 and up!

#27 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,309 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 03:11 PM

Your not looking in the right areas then!

Replacement Parts are plentiful for just about every machine made 1970 and up!

I stand corrected..   :oh_shucks:

Still, he needs to assess his needs and shop accordingly..  Get a machine that will do it all or more shopping ($$$) and time will be needed..

#28 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 03:24 PM

Probably should add this....... Everything but the "Q" series parts can be easily found.

Things are getting a bit dicey with those tractors.....

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#29 Stumpgrinder OFFLINE  

Stumpgrinder
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 04:44 PM

I think I may have found one. Simplicity 2210 with 42" mowing deck, snow blower, hydro lift and 10hp. Price is about a third of my budget so there is room to buy a rear tiller and needed parts. Starts up, all gears and hydro lift work. Any thoughts on the tractor??
  • Gabriel said thank you

#30 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 10:18 PM

I think I may have found one. Simplicity 2210 with 42" mowing deck, snow blower, hydro lift and 10hp. Price is about a third of my budget so there is room to buy a rear tiller and needed parts. Starts up, all gears and hydro lift work. Any thoughts on the tractor??

WELCOME! Sounds like a good tractor.

Edited by Gabriel, April 26, 2014 - 10:19 PM.