• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Stumpgrinder OFFLINE  

Stumpgrinder
  • Member No: 50816
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 06:22 PM

Hello, soon I will move to a place with a few acres and will need a garden tractor. My initial needs will be to mow about 1 acre of grass and plow a driveway that is 20 yards long. Once I have acquired the tractor, I will begin to look for some ground engineering implements in order to have an acre+ garden at some point. My budget is anywhere from 0 to 1,000 but I want to be sure I buy a machine that is very versatile. As a kid, we had a very old Simplicity that had a mower deck, snow blade and tiller. It was a tank but it worked great. I have been searching Craig's List and am just lost. There is a little of everything out there.

Any suggestions? I will plan on working on the tractor myself as long as I can find parts. I don't need anything fancy and am not brand specific.

Thanks.

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,806 Thanks
  • 2,218 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 06:35 PM

Look around locally and see what you like then ask if they are good, there are so many different style and type of gt that it is difficult to give advise.  Look for what is common around you so parts are easily accessible.  Good luck and take your time, find what you like, you will have to use it every day and live with it for awhile.

• WNYTractorTinkerer, Chopperhed and Stumpgrinder have said thanks

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 06:45 PM

Some brands are pretty easy to find parts for if you check the internet. Wheel Horse, Cub Cadet, Bolens and John Deere, for example. Some of our sponsors sell some or all the parts for these. There are other brands out there that I've never heard of. You might not ever get the part you need.

#4 Stumpgrinder OFFLINE  

Stumpgrinder
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 06:46 PM

There seems to be a few JD 212 around and a couple Simplicity 738. Is the 212 heavy duty enough for some decent garden work? There is also a Wheel Horse 318a that looks like a great machine..

Edited by Stumpgrinder, April 24, 2014 - 06:49 PM.

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,806 Thanks
  • 2,218 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 06:53 PM

I personally love the old simplicity and allis tractors but if it were me I would stay away from the 738, to new and not big enough.  the jd would be the better of the two but usually green parts are more expensive and attachments may be harder to get.  Honestly that will probably be your biggest trouble is getting the attachments you want for the tractor you  like.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 Stumpgrinder OFFLINE  

Stumpgrinder
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 06:55 PM

I personally love the old simplicity and allis tractors but if it were me I would stay away from the 738, to new and not big enough.  the jd would be the better of the two but usually green parts are more expensive and attachments may be harder to get.  Honestly that will probably be your biggest trouble is getting the attachments you want for the tractor you  like.

That is what I'm afraid of. What about the Craftsman with a sleeve hitch? Seems implements for the sleeve are available.

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:06 PM

There seems to be a few JD 212 around and a couple Simplicity 738. Is the 212 heavy duty enough for some decent garden work? There is also a Wheel Horse 318a that looks like a great machine..

The WH 318 would be great if it's in good condition. One thing about WH, all of the B and C series tractors from 1973 - 2006 will interchange most implements. Also, WHs are pretty simple and straight forward in design, making them relatively easy to work on. Others will beat the drum for their favorite brand. :thumbs:

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#8 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,806 Thanks
  • 2,218 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:09 PM

Unfortunately I think you are going to have the same trouble with all the tractors out there, the attachments especially the one's you want will run as much as another machine would.  I collect the old allis tractors, I have bought entire packages of 6 or 10 pieces just to get one attachment.  A really good idea is to look around for a locale scrap yard, get to know them and stop by once a week or so, you would be amazed what others will throw away.

As for the craftsman I had one an old sears suburban years ago, I loved it but don't know much about them or there attachments.

#9 Stumpgrinder OFFLINE  

Stumpgrinder
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:16 PM

Excellent. Thanks.

#10 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:18 PM

While I am not a fan of John Deere tractors----Don't hate 'em, don't love 'em--- the 212 you mention should do a reasonable job of doing some gardening.  John deere MAY have a better parts availability than most older brands, but you will probably pay for it.  

Most any tractor with a sleeve hitch will accept the Brinly style implements.  You may need to run a "wanted" ad yourself to coax some out of the weeds and backyards.  From what you describe, the tractor specific things you need will be the deck and the plow.  

#11 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:22 PM

PS:

You need find a site called "tractordata.com" when you are looking at CL ads.  That can help you know things like engine brands, types of transmissions, and wheel sizes, and dimensions.

#12 Stumpgrinder OFFLINE  

Stumpgrinder
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:37 PM

Any thoughts on a Craftsman DGT4000 with a 27hp Kohler?

#13 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:40 PM

I can't tell from your posts where your hunting. Say! Did anyone welcome you to the forum yet? :welcome:

#14 Stumpgrinder OFFLINE  

Stumpgrinder
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for the welcome. Southern Michigan is my area which explains the need for a snow machine given the winter we just had.

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,691 Thanks
  • 8,886 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:59 PM

JD 212's are well built and easy to work on. They are not nimble; they have a larger than average turning radius. (if that matters at your place) They do have the most reasonably priced implements and attachments in the JD lineup. Finding a snowblower is a piece of cake. Tons of 37a blowers out there, and they are well built. Finding a tiller for one is an exercise in patience, and being able to spot a good deal and go get it quick. The 47 mowing deck for these are tough, parts are cheap and plentiful, and they cut very well.

The 212 has a 4 speed manual transmission. Very reliable, but not as handy as a hydrostatic tranny, imo.

• MH81 said thank you