• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • Member No: 15926
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:13 AM

I noticed that I have exhaust coming out from my breather.  It is enough that there, at times, I could see it from my seat.  Is this normal or does it indicate some problem.  The motor is a 14hp K321S.

Thanks for any help

#2 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 08:50 AM

usually thats not a good sign. if it is blow by thats the sign of a worn out engine 

#3 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 10:10 AM

usually thats not a good sign. if it is blow by thats the sign of a worn out engine 

Yeah, that's what I have been reading but everything I found was for cars.  I wasn't sure if these engines allow for it.  I seem to have plenty of power going up a very steep hill.  Would this be a stop using it now situation or could I use it until winter?

Thanks again

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 11:12 AM

It may be carbon buildup contributing to this problem. I had a lot of oil coming out the crankcase vent into my air filter box on a K321 in a JD314. I removed the head and found a lot of carbon build up below the exhaust valve on the top of the cylinder wall. It was actually wearing away the top of the piston in that spot and I figure it was also pushing the piston away from the cylinder on that side and causing the rings to loose their seal. I removed all the carbon, put on a new Head Gasket and the blowby was no longer an issue. You could try running some Sea foam through it if you don't want to pull the head.

• HDWildBill and willy1094 have said thanks

#5 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 12:05 PM

It may be carbon buildup contributing to this problem. I had a lot of oil coming out the crankcase vent into my air filter box on a K321 in a JD314. I removed the head and found a lot of carbon build up below the exhaust valve on the top of the cylinder wall. It was actually wearing away the top of the piston in that spot and I figure it was also pushing the piston away from the cylinder on that side and causing the rings to loose their seal. I removed all the carbon, put on a new Head Gasket and the blowby was no longer an issue. You could try running some Sea foam through it if you don't want to pull the head.

Thanks, I may try the seafoam (I think I have some sitting around).  It wouldn't be that much work to pull the head off and take a look either.

#6 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 02:09 PM

Thanks, I may try the seafoam (I think I have some sitting around).  It wouldn't be that much work to pull the head off and take a look either.

thats would be your best bet then you would have a better idea of what it is 

• willy1094 said thank you