Posted April 29, 2014 - 06:26 PM

She looks real good, nice job!

#17 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • Member No: 48125
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 03:48 AM

Great looking machine , and very nice job on the rebuild!! Just a word of caution tho, the front spindles are not as tough as the loader requires, and could fail under a heavy load.. This is greatly increased as the traction is increased... so be careful :thumbs:  :wave:

Thanks! I am planning on upgrading the spindles down the road a little bit to 1" thick spindles.

I have a learned quite a bit in doing this.

Some lessons I learned so far:

1. Every bolt should have a locking washer, or Loctite. If it doesn't it will shake loose!

2. My hydraulic Pump was mounted too low. It kept hitting stuff as I drove over it. I have since shortened the belt size and raised it up to give me about 6 inches of clearance from the ground.

That's it so far! Other than that, it has been awesome. I have run it every day for 2 weeks moving horse manure around, bulldozing an old garden, and leveling some dirt and it has held up easily.

Some planned upgrades are:

1. New Seat with Armrests

2. Change from Tire Chains to Ag Lug Tires

3. Add dual rear tires for stability

4. Build a Landscape Rake

5. Build a new bucket with Cutting Teeth, and pallet fork attachment

Busy, Busy!

I almost bought a Kubota BX series tractor, and I think this Garden Tractor can do almost everything I wanted to do with the BX and it has only cost me $1,500 so far vs $15,000.

If anyone has any other tips or advice, if I am missing something please feel free to let me know! This is all pretty new to me!

• Alc said thank you

#18 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 02:54 PM

For a guy thats says "This is all pretty new to me"..... I'd say your on the track;)

the front spindles will hold up fine if you remember the GT buckets are only rated for about 400-500lbs usually.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ford lgt front end loader, ford lgt, front end loader