Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 11:21 PM

So, I sold my Bolens HT23 tonight... didn't get quite as much as I would have liked, but it's going to a good home.

Now, I have just about enough money to get a SCUT... and, whereas before I could hardly find anything, now I've come across several, and am having a hard time making up my mind. 

So, I thought I'd turn to this august body of accumulated wisdom and seek your opinion.

Here are the selections so far... prices are within $1000 of each other, hours are in the 800s, with the exception of the JD770, which has 1430.  All have front end loaders, all are 4x4s, all have power steering, all have a ROPS.

JD4100--hydrostatic drive

Yanmar YM1610D  Power shift trans

Kubota B2100  Turf tires, but includes a rear scraper

JD770--gear drive 4 speed, 2 range, has canopy.

Kubota B7200  Hydrostatic, has customer-added power steering. It's the cheapest of the lot--$4,500 whereas the rest are in the $7,500 to $9,000 range.

Kubota B2400 Hydrostatic.  Has cab and grapple on bucket.  Also has 2 speed steering, which were sometimes problematic, esp. when used with a FEL.

NH 1715. Gear; includes tiller.  The longest and heaviest.  It and the B2400 are the most expensive of the bunch at $9,900.

ALL of them are out of state except the Yanmar and New Holland. Freight will range from $700 to $1,200.

I'd actually like to find something relatively short, but all of these are about 103" long, and a 58-60 inch wheelbase.

So, oh wise and noble ones... what say ye??????

Smitty

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 11:51 PM

Wahhhh? Well, I can only speak of the kubotas, and the 7200 would be a great piece. Power steering a plus, and hydrostatic is the only way for me. Mine has a 3 range hydro, can't recall the 7200? Nice thing is kubota still supports it, unlike my 8200. If you need help shipping, I have access to a nice car transport trailer, maybe 500 miles or so, I can help,out.

Good luck!

Edited by Pager450n, April 23, 2014 - 11:58 PM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 01:25 AM

Wahhhh? Well, I can only speak of the kubotas, and the 7200 would be a great piece. Power steering a plus, and hydrostatic is the only way for me. Mine has a 3 range hydro, can't recall the 7200? Nice thing is kubota still supports it, unlike my 8200. If you need help shipping, I have access to a nice car transport trailer, maybe 500 miles or so, I can help,out.

Good luck!

Thanks, Ryan.  The 7200 is in Tyler, TX-- about 2 hours east of Dallas/Ft Worth.  The B2100 and B2400 are in Bayfield, Colorado--down by Durango.  The JDs are in Washington State--up by the Canadian border.

I may need help shipping it... my 6 x 10 trailer has held about 2,200 lbs, but that's pretty much it's max.  Most of these tractors weight 1,500 - 1,600 lbs dry, not counting the loader so it would be pretty close.

Smitty

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 06:09 AM

Sometimes when the decision is too hard, you are better off waiting awhile. I find that when I really need something it will just show up nearby. I hope that you find one that makes you happy. Good Luck, Rick

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,658 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:01 AM

Utah in the Boonies too much for closer dealers??   Someone is going to have to explain 2-Speed power steering to me. First time I've heard of that. Why is it needed?  How does it set speed? 

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:03 AM

The JD4100 and 770 were made by Yanmar for JD and are both solid tractors.  If you are looking for tight turning radius then the 4100 is a good choice. The 4100 does not have a lot of hydraulic pump capacity. The 770 is a lot more tractor. Have a look at tractordata.com and you can compare specs like hydraulic flow etc.  Having lots of choices is a good thing. One choice you will need to make is how big do I want to go. Bigger means more capabilities but also means less maneuverability, larger trailer required to transport etc.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:07 AM

Smitty,any of these tractors with a loader on it will be too big and heavy to fit onto a 10ft. 2000 lb trailer. The loaders add 5-700 lbs alone plus you need rear ballast. The weight will end up somewhere around 3000lbs +.

#8 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:44 AM

Smitty, I found a yanmar and a Mitsubishi on KSL online classifieds under "farm eqpt" and they are located in Idaho Might keep checking there.
Mike
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 11:46 AM

Utah in the Boonies too much for closer dealers??   Someone is going to have to explain 2-Speed power steering to me. First time I've heard of that. Why is it needed?  How does it set speed? 

None of the local dealers have used compact tractors. I've called them frequently--they keep trying to steer me into a new one for $13,000+. One did call me earlier this week about a used New Holland 1715, but it's a little too big for my needs.

Part of the problem is the population density in Utah.  There's about 3 million people, 2 1//2 million most living within the Wasatch Front --about 120 miles long and 30 miles wide that includes Salt Lake, Provo, & Ogden. It's much like LA--the agricultural ground is getting gobbled up by housing developments and it's wall to wall suburbia.

The rest of the population is scattered over 89,000 square miles.   So, the dealers with machines are in neighboring states or in Texas or California.

The two speed steering is a system that adjusts the speed of the front wheels to match to the specific diameter they're turning on.  It's meant for use with 4wd, but as I understand it, there have been some reliability problems with the system when using with a front end loader--perhaps too much weight--don't know for sure.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, April 24, 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#10 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 11:49 AM

Smitty, I found a yanmar and a Mitsubishi on KSL online classifieds under "farm eqpt" and they are located in Idaho Might keep checking there.
Mike

Thanks, Mike.

That's Don Romrell of Big Little Tractors out of the Rexburg/Sugar City area. I've talked with him several times. His prices are decent, but all of his machines are grey market, and most of them have poor parts support here in the US.  He uses a loader made up in Washington State--okay for light duty work, but not as rugged as I would like.

Regards,

Smitty

#11 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 11:51 AM

Smitty,any of these tractors with a loader on it will be too big and heavy to fit onto a 10ft. 2000 lb trailer. The loaders add 5-700 lbs alone plus you need rear ballast. The weight will end up somewhere around 3000lbs +.

Yeah, I know.  I've already been looking at getting a tandem axle boat trailer and putting a deck on it to handle heavier machines. I can get the machine to my house--until I get a bigger trailer I'll just road it to the big garden spot.

Smitty

#12 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 11:52 AM

The JD4100 and 770 were made by Yanmar for JD and are both solid tractors.  If you are looking for tight turning radius then the 4100 is a good choice. The 4100 does not have a lot of hydraulic pump capacity. The 770 is a lot more tractor. Have a look at tractordata.com and you can compare specs like hydraulic flow etc.  Having lots of choices is a good thing. One choice you will need to make is how big do I want to go. Bigger means more capabilities but also means less maneuverability, larger trailer required to transport etc.

Thanks, Brian.

I refer to Tractordata often, but I'm not too savvy on how much hydraulics I need to operate the machine with a loader, etc.

Smitty

#13 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 12:47 PM

Smith, I'm sure that I can use a car hauler from a co worker. Just let me know. I can help out if we are closer than Texas. With my schedule, I can take a good 6 days if needed.

Good luck!

#14 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 01:15 PM

If it were me I would take all the non hydro machines off the list, non hydros aren't as quick/well suited doing utility loader work.  Then any non JD or Kubota, lose the possible parts issues.  But that's what I would do.

#15 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 02:11 PM

John deere 770 as for the john deere because resale value is always there

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kubota, john deere, yanmar, new holland, b2100, jd4100