#1 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 10:12 AM

It's early in the life of this forum and I think it's great to see the projects that are already being posted here. That said I thought it would be interesting to see what tractors members think make the best candidates for diesel conversions.

It appears that so far MF GTs have garnered most of the attention. While I am not knowledgeable about the Massey Ferguson stable of GT models it does appear that their original design lends them to easily accommodating the (relatively) affordable and available China made single cylinder air cooled engines.

When time, finances and an available project tractor come available I want to re-power an Ingersoll 448. It seems to me that the hydraulic drive system open up some interesting possibilities regarding the engine output shaft orientation and location. Hopefully this will be something I can embark on sooner instead of later.

What do others here think?

JN

BTW - I still like the idea suggested in an earlier thread about creating a list or chart of diesel engines listing specs such as water or air cooled, HP, output shaft orientation, dimensions, etc. It would certainly help people matching their project tractors to the right power plant. It would also be interesting if someone were to do a comparison of their tractor powered by a gasoline engine before the transplant and then by the diesel afterward. I would especially like to see a direct comparison on fuel economy - especially in an application like mowing a large yard.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 11:21 AM

I think it would be great to have a listing of any of the diesels engines would work for a repower project for the garden tractors.

Maybe a wiki for it might be the best option or a chart. It would be nice to have something easily editable by any members that can add information to it.

#3 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 11:28 AM

Hmmm.....

I'm not an expert on it but I think that Google Docs provides a way to accomplish what you are describing.

BTW George...... I notice that you refuse to take the bait I have been putting out for you to put a diesel engine in that new (used) 448 Ingersoll you acquired recently. What's it going to take to convince you that diesel is your best option, hmmm....?:spanka:

JN

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 11:34 AM

Hmmm.....

I'm not an expert on it but I think that Google Docs provides a way to accomplish what you are describing.

BTW George...... I notice that you refuse to take the bait I have been putting out for you to put a diesel engine in that new (used) 448 Ingersoll you acquired recently. What's it going to take to convince you that diesel is your best option, hmmm....?:spanka:

JN

If I had the money to buy a diesel for it I would definitely put a diesel in it. I already know that diesel power is better. That is why I have been debating on what to do with the Case. Maybe sell it for parts to make money to be able to buy a diesel to power something. Everyone can throw me under the bus too for saying that I might actually sell a tractor for parts LOL.

#5 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 12:06 PM

Oh my heavens above George has lost it, Selling PARTS LOL

#6 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 12:25 PM

George,

I kid you, of course. If the Onan is in good shape I would certainly rather see you freshen it, complete your project and join the ranks of us happy Ingersoll/Case owners than to part it out. They truly are remarkable tractors. On the other hand if the Onan needs more than just a freshening will your investment in it be much less than finding a good deal on a diesel? And we also realize that a restore will probably be easier to perform than a re-power.

I am not familiar with any of the other brands of GTs out there and from what I have been seeing here I might want to broaden my search for a project tractor to include MF, WheelHorse, etc. Then again I am at least reasonably familiar with the Ingersolls and I already own a number of implements for one. I guess it will boil down to what I can find the best bargain on. We'll see......

JN

#7 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• Member No: 1521
  • 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 01:28 PM

George,

I kid you, of course. If the Onan is in good shape I would certainly rather see you freshen it, complete your project and join the ranks of us happy Ingersoll/Case owners than to part it out. They truly are remarkable tractors. On the other hand if the Onan needs more than just a freshening will your investment in it be much less than finding a good deal on a diesel? And we also realize that a restore will probably be easier to perform than a re-power.

I am not familiar with any of the other brands of GTs out there and from what I have been seeing here I might want to broaden my search for a project tractor to include MF, WheelHorse, etc. Then again I am at least reasonably familiar with the Ingersolls and I already own a number of implements for one. I guess it will boil down to what I can find the best bargain on. We'll see......

JN

So far I've seen conversions using a similar engine to mine in John Deere's, Bolens, Ropers, WheelHorse, and an older Sears.

#8 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 01:53 PM

JTS,

Yes, I think that the single cylinder air cooled diesel engines similar to yours have dimensions and output orientations very similar to their gasoline counterparts that make them ideal for these projects. I also think that this changes considerably when you start to look at twin and three cylinder diesel engines where they tend to have vertical cylinder designs while gasoline twins tend to have horizontal cylinder layouts. I think that the project you are currently working on is a great example of a practical and sensible re-power that most of us could probably undertake. Getting into conversions using the various diesel twins (both air and water cooled) available will tend to be more complicated. Still, with the skill levels exhibited by many of the members of this forum I think we will be seeing some remarkable projects as time goes on.

I am really looking forward to reports from yourself and others that have completed projects after you have used your repower creation for a while. I think everyone will be impressed with the power and especially the fuel economy.

JN

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 05:36 PM

I wouldn't mind having a diesel in my Massey 1655.I think with the two speed rear end, it would be pretty much unstoppable .As to which diesel,not sure.