Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Vote Now Featured Tractor May 2014!

featured tractor voting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote Now Featured Tractor May 2014 (72 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Now Featured Tractor May 2014

1. Case 444 - bowtiebutler956 (25 votes [34.72%])

Percentage of vote: 34.72%

2. John Deere 317 - grnspot110 (19 votes [26.39%])

Percentage of vote: 26.39%

3. Voted John Deere 316 - Hammerdown (8 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. Simplicity Landlord 2010 - petrj6 (8 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

5. Simplicity 637 - dxman (6 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

6. Cub Cadet Puller - Dieselcubmike (6 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 08:19 PM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of May has now officially started and will end the last day of this month. This month's theme is custom tractor.

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of May and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. 

We have 6 nominations this month. Let the Voting Begin!

• Case 444 - bowtiebutler956
  • John Deere 317 - grnspot110
  • John Deere 316 - Hammerdown
  • Simplicity Landlord 2010 - petrj6
  • Simplicity 637 - dxman
  • Cub Cadet Puller - Dieselcubmike

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

• MYMF10, boyscout862, Cublover and 3 others have said thanks

#2 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 03:10 PM

This post has been promoted to an article

Attached Thumbnails

• P2170007 (800x600).jpg
  • P2170010 (800x600).jpg
  • P3020022 (800x600).jpg
  • P3020026 (800x600).jpg
  • P3020028 (800x600).jpg
  • P3090028 (800x600).jpg
  • P3200081 (1024x768).jpg
  • P3200085 (1024x768).jpg
  • P3270091 (1024x768).jpg
  • P3270095 (1024x768).jpg
  • P3280070 (1024x768).jpg
  • P4030091 (1024x768).jpg
  • P3280067 (1024x768).jpg
  • P3280069 (1024x768).jpg
  • P3110032 (800x600).jpg

Edited by bowtiebutler956, April 03, 2014 - 05:43 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, grnspot110 and 23 others have said thanks

#3 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 04:34 PM

Just how "modified"?   :D

My 317 "Special" started out as a rolling chassis I bought at a scrapper's auction for $40:

GARDEN TRACTORS 583 (Small).jpg

I wanted a parade tractor for area shows & just wanted to see if I could do it!   I'd been picking up parts here & there for some time with a project in mind, no "written" plans.  After posting for an engine, I found an 18 HP Kohler Command from a miller welder, $200.

1 (Small).jpg

After that, I quit keeping track of the costs!

I put it together to make sure everything worked as it should:

GARDEN TRACTORS 714 - Copy.jpg

Then back apart for the actual build!  I found another frame that came for the same auction, used it as it was in better condition.  Cut 28-1/2" off the back of the original frame & welded that to the back of the new frame:

GARDEN TRACTORS 724 (Small).jpg

Made new brake linkages, the hydraulic lines were extended with hoses.  Local machine shop mad a new drive shaft for me.  Found a pair of 4-bolt hubs on ebay, front fenders are trailer fenders attached to the spindles so they turn with the steering.  Front bumper is an ATV bumper from ebay:

GARDEN TRACTORS 719 (Custom).jpg

GARDEN TRACTORS 720 (Small).jpg

Local muffler shop made the exhaust system for me:

GARDEN TRACTORS 730 (Small).jpg

I made the "demonstrator" seat with aftermarket JD 420 cushion sets, I formed the aluminum footrests from used pickup running boards & had them welded at the muffler shop.  Gray color was just to be different, I had a gray pickup at that time & like the color.

GARDEN TRACTORS II 004 (Small).jpg

The Oak bed is made from White Oak from our farm:

GARDEN TRACTORS II 024 (Custom).jpg

GARDEN TRACTORS II 026 (Custom).jpg

Working saddle tanks are SS fire extingushers, plus the stock gas tank:

GARDEN TRACTORS II 027 (Custom).jpg

Buggy top is for sun & rain protection:

GARDEN TRACTORS II 031 (Custom).jpg

I've been using it to pull parade line-ups as long as 42':

HPIM1136 (640x477).jpg

HPIM0590 - Copy (640x477).jpg

Lowell

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse and 21 others have said thanks

#4 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • Member No: 46960
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 07:12 AM

Hello

I found an add on Craig's list for this 1991 John Deere 316 and answered it. The seller offered the Tractor, a 50" mowing deck a Power flow bagger and a spare floor pan for $200.00 Not running. When I got there we tried to start it using Jumper cables and the engine would Not turn over. He then dropped his price to $75.00 and I offered him $50.00 as I did not know what I was getting here and it looked to be only Parts. He accepted my offer so home it came, I just had to Rescue it as it was Not far from being scrapped and I felt it deserved to be rescued and Built back to how it used to be Rather than scrapped out. . The engine is a Factory Placed Onan P-218. I found it's wiring harness cut and wires in the wrong spot so once I hooked them, up where they belonged it turned over. I gave it a shot of either and it came to life, so we ran a temperorary gas line down into my 2-1/2 Gallon Gas Can and it started up and ran perfect. The Hour meter was working and showed just 349.2 Hours on it. The steering wheel still had the raised Nubbie portions on it so we feel as though the hour meter was correct on this Tractor, so I decided to Build it for my son in law who was wanting a John Deere Tractor. The reason it looked so rough was that it spent most of it's Life In Stuart, Florida very close to the ocean salt Air and the failed powder coat paint caused the body panels to rust badly. I stripped it to the rolling Chassis and repainted all of the Tractor in stages. The Original 50" Mowing deck was bent Badly so I located a part's Tractor model 317 and we robbed the 48" mowing deck off of it. I Transfered all of the Mowing deck blade spindles from the 50" deck to the 48" deck then painted it all as I did the entire Tractor. it is now completed and sitting in my son in law's Garage he has Mowed twice with it and it runs perfect. We have exactly $632.00 in it finished and the Project took me 6-1/2 weeks to complete the build. Regards, Hammerdown

Here is how it looked the day that I bought it and Brought it home

.001705.JPG

002609.JPG

004260.JPG

Here is how it turned out.

005466.JPG

001735.JPG

002648.JPG

004525.JPG

Here it is the first time he mowed with it he is very Pleased with it.

002338.JPG

003603.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse, Sparky, hamman and 10 others have said thanks

#5 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 12:53 PM

I would like to nominate my daughters pedal tractor, before you say anything this is no ordinary pedal tractor please read.

This started as a tractor that belonged to a very good friend of mine, it was a simplicity landlord 2010 with a hydraulic lift, he used it daily for many years and eventually it just got worn out, he parked it behind his sugar house and there it sat for many years.  me any my father collect tractors like this and use them, we knew it was there and were always after him to sell it to us but he never would.  finally after about 8 years he budged and decided to let it go but after all that time behind the barn it really was just about scrap weight.  we got it home and parted it out.

So here we are with a complete tractor in pieces, we want all the heavy stuff but don't need the tin, we are setting in the barn one night trying to decide what to do with all the tin work when my daughter walks in an begins to play on what was left of the tractor,  she chimes in that it would be fun to have in the yard to play on.  We took it one step further.

It took us almost on entire summer to get his rite, without the rear end I had to make a custom one up to hold the seat and axle, then the seat pan looked to big for the application so that had to be cut and narrowed to fit, used and old iron seat from a sears and the back rest it the seat from a weight bench, all the heavy stuff had to come of or be re-made out of aluminum, weeks worth of cutting and grinding and making new parts, once we finally got the tractor together we ripped apart a bmx bike for the pedals and gears.  used as many of the original parts as we could and it came out great.

allis tractors 001(1).JPG

That is the first round, after about a year and two injury's on it we decided to do more work, it needed a brake and a free wheel gear so when it was rolling the pedal would not hurt the kids, again another bmx bike donor was used for the free wheel gear, we used an original lift handle and the brake band and drum from the rear end for the brakes, got it all together and it looked good.  It had brakes and the pedal's would free wheel.

pedal tractor brakes 012.JPG pedal tractor brakes 008.JPG

Now for the tires, with the original tires on there the kids could pedal it around but it was to difficult in the grass or on a hill, the tires gave it to much resistance. I tried a bunch of different things. The fronts were easy, I was scrapping and happened across a set of high wheel mower wheels which were perfect for the front, just needed new bushings.  the rear were a bit more difficult, I tried about 4 different things,  bmx wheels were to small and didn't look rite, the same for most of what I could find around here, finally after most of the winter a friend was over and we were talking and he said something about needing new dirt bike wheels!!!!!!  Perfect they have the beefy tread to get around and are the rite size.  The set that is on there now are to tall but I have a set on order that will be perfect.  looks good right?  Wrong!  what does any gt have to have ?  A trailer!

The trailer was her birthday present last year.  I made it in the garage it is modeled after the IH trailer I use on my allis, again I used all the recycled stuff I could find but most of it had to be brand new just for ease of assembly.  It even dumps!!!

Yes she is the most spoiled kid on the block!

pedal tractor 002.JPG pedal tractor 001.JPG pedal tractor 003.JPG pedal tractor 004.JPG pedal tractor 005.JPG

Not sure what is next, but you never know!!

Edited by petrj6, April 12, 2014 - 09:00 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, grnspot110 and 19 others have said thanks

#6 dxman OFFLINE  

dxman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 39591
  • 31 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 04:05 PM

I was looking  for lawn tractors over winter that I could sell in the spring, so I placed an ad on craigslist.  Some guy called me and said he had a 1973 637 Simplicity lawn tractor for sale for $50.  He lives about 10 miles north of me, so I decided to go look at it.

It was a little small to my liking, but it was cheap so I took it.  It didn't run, so it sat at my place for about 3 months before a friend of mine saw it.  He wanted me to restore it so i loaded it up and took it to a small sandblasting place in my  neighborhood. In a  week it was done. I brought it back home and tore it down, then took it to be powder coated.  I had never herd of any one doing that to a lawn tractor, but it i decided to do it any way. Because the guy wanted something easy to start, I went with a used  5hp Honda engine.

Attached Thumbnails

• tren.jpg
  • tf.jpg
  • tre.jpg
  • tr.jpg
  • t.jpg

Edited by dxman, April 12, 2014 - 04:09 PM.

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, Sparky and 10 others have said thanks

#7 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 10:15 PM

Good evening everyone I'd like to nominate my Diesel powered cub cadet quiet line garden tractor puller. It started life off as a typical little quiet line series cub cadet serial number 2050550u608619. Was picked up a few years ago at a local garden tractor shop without a motor and a few other parts and was going to be turned into a gas engine puller until one day my father and a friend of his tried a frankensteined experiment. My father and his friend got a pair of small diesel engines from refrigerated trailers and came up with the idea to put them in a frame and turn them into a pair of pullers. At that time no one had really come up with the idea until then to put something like that together and trying to find ways to make everything work together evenly and not break parts or even how to set one of them up. 

Fast forward to 2011. After seeing my father and his good friend along with his grandson succeed it was my turn to build one. I started off with my quiet line cub frame. I repowered it with a 13 horsepower  yanmar three cylinder diesel and added the 3000 series sheet metal to the frame. After not having enough room under the hood for a radiator and turbo, we had to make a decision to use something else for the time being. We ended up using the existing quiet line series sheet metal since we were running short on time. Well I was on the internet one day and I came across a different engine. After seeing what everyone else was running for engines I decided to buy a 26hp Kubota D1105 diesel to replace the little yanmar. After cramming the Kubota under the hood everything was a tight fit and the hood and side shields fit just right without any modifications or cutting involved. 

Had a great year with it but I figured it was time to move on to a little more customizing . So with that being said, hile searching through the garage I found a pair of custom fenders my dad made but wasn't able to use. So I took the old heavy cub cadet fenders off and replaced them with the aluminum fenders built to resemble the international 1066 style fenders. Ended up having a custom seat pan installed with the fenders to further lighten the tractor up. Found a pair of Vogel Manufacturing 09 series pulling tires to replace my old Dick Cepek big bar tires too. I have over 8500$ invested so far and its continually climbing. But as said everything is 100% custom with the exception of the frame and transmission. Its all aluminum and custom bent, professionally tig welded together by my father and lightweight.

Fast forward to 2014. After finally finding some time and materials it was my turn to have custom sheet metal made. So my father being the great metal fabricator he is and having a good tig welding setup, it was time to begin. After taking dimensions and making drawings it was time to set to work. After piece my little he started the nose piece with the headlight assembly and the IH logo. Next we moved onto the grille area. Making the grille inserts to make it resemble an actual 1066 grille and making sure there was enough air flow for the radiator and fan to pull in air properly. Next was the hood. It was just simply bended including the bends on the bottom to line up with the grille. Next was the side panels. Instead of making the hood fold up, we made the side panels swing out to easily access the motor if we needed to. We also gave it a new custom dash along with a new dash tower as well. Also put a shorter exhaust stack on it to give it better look.

For right now its staying the polished aluminum look until next year when its ready for paint. Im very happy the way it turned out and and it was fun to help my dad go wild with the custom work he did and both of our ideas. I have videos of it running at the 2014 Keystone national Garden Tractor Pulls including the 3rd place I managed!

Everything has been completely modified on this. The only that remains that is true garden tractor is the frame and the transmission. Acquired a smaller turbo and a new sets of gears for it as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• diesel 1.jpg
  • IMAG0092.jpg
  • 01b505da7aaf776e7f9e123ced3ef770734c064f96.jpg
  • IMG_0003.JPG
  • 010a379d1deb792d1cc4b5279bb0b9a3d1a619cb40.jpg
  • 01ffa064281b81bf4fb1d73d24e5b393d4a57d6c69.jpg
  • tractor.jpg
  • 0189e301a41442073efb077c97e40cac8dc2bf3580.jpg

Edited by Dieselcubmike, April 19, 2014 - 10:36 PM.

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, LUKEW and 6 others have said thanks

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 08:05 PM

Let the voting begin :D

• BTS said thank you

#9 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 08:34 AM

They all look great!

• grnspot110 said thank you

#10 tractorman1998 OFFLINE  

tractorman1998
  • Member No: 43941
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 08:43 AM

its good to see

#11 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,446 Thanks
  • 3,993 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 09:13 AM

Let the voting begin :D

yep! but where are all the Deere guys!?

• grnspot110 said thank you

#12 brrly1 OFFLINE  

brrly1

• Member No: 673
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 11:10 AM

I am liking the Case tractor, they all look good. Its difficult to choose.

#13 101 senior ONLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 180 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 06:37 PM

I can't vote

there are 3 that I think did an outstanding job, The others are only a tiny step behind. Thank you all on your fine craftsmanship.

#14 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 10:14 PM

yep! but where are all the Deere guys!?

im still working on mine 

• jd.rasentrac said thank you

#15 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1