FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 08:49 AM

I just received my strobe lights in yesterday. I bought the cheap ones on e-bay for less than $20 shipped for 4 lights and control pack. I have to plow out into a road and while it's not busy, one side does have a slight curve. Anyway, I have two amber ones to mount to the top of my weight box, and two clear ones to mount behind the grille. The control pack has to be accessible because you must turn on the power and the pattern. I could not find a good place to mount this other than the seat pan. Even in there, to turn it on, I would have to get off and open the seat. In itself, that would be ok... However, I would need to drill holes through my bed liner in there.

So, I decided to (gasp) cut a hole to flush mount the box in the panel that bolts on under the dash. Now this decision allows for a perfect flush fit and I can get right to it. (However, water and snow may be an issue.) But being metal, I can easily patch the hole and you will never know it was cut out. Plus, it just happens to be my "spare" and was not the one I planned to use. I can remove the plate and power box in the summer and put the good one back on. I can live with myself. I just need some sealer to seal the box to the plate and wire them up. I took the box apart and the front plate sits over the housing with a lip to slip into the back housing. I cut the hole so that it has the same ID as the housing. This allowed the front thin plate to mount into the dash plate flush and overlapping. You do not see the hole cut out at all.

Photos to come!
PS: these tiny lights (3-led per lamp) are very tiny, maybe 3/4" x 3" but when seen straight on are super bright! I am pretty impressed with them so far!

#2 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 12:23 AM

Sure... no photos and the post just is ignored! OK, here you are... the photos! :thumbs:

Like I said, this brutal hack can be repaired and never seen, plus it's my spare.... The pack is easy to get to, and very secure. I am not sure how it will hold up to snow and water. The unit has a power button that can stay on when pressed, but you need to turn the flash pattern on every time. This spring, I will see if there is a way to hard wire the rapid flash pattern "on". If I can do that, a remote power switch will be added, and the box will be sealed. If that is an option, the whole control head can mount behind the dash. For now, it works great!

Posted Image

Posted Image

The front strobes mount to the later model grille reinforcement bracket. This proved to be a perfect spot even though I thought they would be too low. With the plow all the way up, you can easily see them. However, hidden from view when not in use!

Posted Image

On the back, the amber lights are mounted to the weight box. This spring when I take the weight box off, and add on to it, I may design space for them to flush mount inside the back of the box. This is still up in the air, as I may also mount them to the bottom of the original seat pan I am working on.

Posted Image

Then, if you want to see how they look, I took a quick video and tossed it onto you-tube for you. They are much brighter than the camera shows... even more so in the dark! :smilewink:

YouTube - Massey Ferguson / Plow strobes

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 12:31 AM

I don't think I'd call that a brutal hack by any stretch of the imagination! Looks pretty neat to me. Those are bright enough to affect you cameras' ambient light sensors and they actually hurt my eyes a little even just on the video LOL! They ought to see you coming with those on there!

#4 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 12:31 AM

Looks like you can see this baby all the way down the block now

#5 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 01:02 AM

Now I am kinda wishing I had bought the ones with more lights! I could of easily put four in the grille and four in the back to really get it glowing! When I get the cab built for my John Deere, and spend the money to buy a snow-blower for it, I will have plenty on that one! In fact, I just thought of something.... the rear lights will fit the hydro better. The seat pan is higher on the hydro, so the lights can tuck up under the seat pan and above the weight box. On the hydro, the weight box fits, but has about an inch and a half of clearance above the weight box.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 05:34 AM

Great idea.:thumbs:

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 06:10 AM

I think you did a great job on the install and wouldn't call it a hack at all. What is even better is the dash access plate can easily be replaced with a piece of flat stock if you didn't have a spare.

I think maybe one of the reasons you didn't get a response right away is even with me I wasn't exactly sure how you were going about mounting the stuff but once you posted the pictures it all made sense.

You did a good job on the install.

#8 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 06:52 AM

I'd say you did a good job mounting the strobe lights. They should certainly be seen and keep you and your tractor from getting hit.

#9 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 08:34 AM

Thanks guys... Just to be clear, when I used the term "hack" I really was meaning the act of chopping a bog old hole into a very visible area of the tractor. I did it neat, and carefully measured so that it is exactly centered in width, and in height (between the bottom of the plate and the lowest cutout for the hood rod.) I am very pleased with how the box looks, but it does have to go.... I will try to make it work off just one switch when I tear the tractor down to build up the hydro. The hydro is getting the grille, hood, & cowl from this tractor.

Well, time to go try them out and plow some MORE freaking snow! We are getting hit with big storms every couple days!

#10 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 12:50 PM

Hahaha, i saw that with no pics=no comment. i almost did, but as George said, I wasnt really clear on what you were doing. but now its all clear, er i mean bright.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 12:56 PM

Very nice job! And VERY safe having them on there too! Nobody can say they didn't see you now! Very reasonable price too.

#12 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 01:30 PM

Nice installation job!! and they look like they work well. Good idea on a garden tractor that gets used close to the road.
P

#13 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 03:49 PM

You did a great job. I was waiting for the pictures and thinking you would need a video too. Nice work. It will make it much safer near the road.

#14 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 05:08 PM

After watching the video again, I think that the only thing you'll have to worry about is drivers thinking you're pulling them over LOL! Greta job and VERY visible!

#15 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 22, 2011 - 02:39 AM

Well, I got to try them out today twice... Once to clean up another 6 inches or so that we got, and some clean up when I got home from work. At night, the headlights do cut down the intensity of the front strobes, but those headlights are wicked bright... They are sure getting a workout. We are running about two feet of snow depth right now and looking at the weather, if the storm out west comes up our way and not out to sea, we could get another two feet next week!

This photo was from today... I had to inspect a car in this snow bank...
PS: I hope this shows up, I used the link off Facebook. If not, let me know and I will toss it on my server. I got lucky, the car I had to look at started and moved so once I FOUND it, and was able to clear enough snow to get into it, I was able to pull it out of the snow bank. It still sucked though!
Posted Image