• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 07:33 PM

I am helping a neighbor out with selling a few tractors. One is a cub cadet (I don't know the model right off hand) but anyway it has a twin cylinder horizontal shaft kohler. He said it runs. He has used it to mow with in the past. But when the engine gets warm it wont start again until it cools down. It still turns over just doesn't start. Would that be the coil starting to go bad? Any ideas. Thanks.

#2 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,399 Thanks
  • 4,609 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 07:50 PM

That or a bad condenser would be the first thing I'd look at.

• superaben said thank you

#3 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 460 Thanks
  • 307 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 08:49 PM

Could be that or depending on how many hours it has it could need to be decarbond.  A lot of the older KT and Magnum twins need to have it done starting around 600 hours.            Stewart

#4 Jlaws OFFLINE  

• Member No: 31172
  • 541 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 09:40 PM

A model number would be nice .

It could have an older KT17 or a newer Magnum 18 . One is a points/coil ignition the other is magneto ignition . The Magnum 18 did have magneto coils that  tend to run fine cold and fail after they warmed up acting just like you describe .

I have a 1535 Cyclops Cub that has a 15 hp Magnum twin ( basically the same as the 18 hp it just has smaller jetting in the carb ).

It ran fine for about 25 minutes and then would sputter and stall . The warmer the weather the shorter time it would run .

After 15 minute cool down it would run fine until it warmed up and would repeat the stalling issue .

Drove me crazy trying to figure out what was wrong with it .

After changing out the usual things , a friend who heard of my problem told me of someone he knew that had a similar problem and what he did to fix his .

The 1535 has its fuel tank under the seat and about 4 ft. of rubber fuel line that went from the tank to a vacuum fuel pump under the hood near the engine .

The fuel line had softened with todays ethanol gas and with the heat of the engine would collapse after it got hot .

Kind of like trying to suck soda through a straw thats pinched .

After the engine compartment and fuel line cooled off it would start and run fine till it got hot again.

The crazy thing was it would run all day in the late fall or winter , but in the warmer weather of summer it was useless .

Changed out the fuel line and haven't had a problem since .

Edited by Jlaws, April 23, 2014 - 10:45 AM.

• Alc and superaben have said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 09:41 PM

That or a bad condenser would be the first thing I'd look at.

I'd check for spark first, then vapor lock if the fuel lines are routed wrong.  On some of the K series twins or Magnums, the fuel lines can drape across a hot cylinder or block if they aren't routed right. 

Ben W.