• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 04:24 PM

Well, I finally quit talking about it and bought one.

Ordered it today and should be delivered Thursday. I have several tires that need some attention/replacemnt, so this will make the job much easier.

I wanted one that I could use for motorcycle tires also, and this one fit the requirements.

Hopefully in the next few days you will either hear me bragging about my investment and not crying about getting screwed!

HTRK60001-2.jpg

• Alc, hamman, tinbender7 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 04:48 PM

That looks a bit like the HF one I have except I have a separate MC adapter.  It sure comes in handy changing out tires.  I mentioned this in another thread but I just got the no-mar mount/demount which makes changing out a tire much easier then the tire tools that came with mine.  I think you will enjoy not having to wrestle with the tire on the floor with tire iron's.

• Alc, boyscout862, GlenPettit and 2 others have said thanks

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 05:06 PM

That looks a bit like the HF one I have except I have a separate MC adapter.  It sure comes in handy changing out tires.  I mentioned this in another thread but I just got the no-mar mount/demount which makes changing out a tire much easier then the tire tools that came with mine.  I think you will enjoy not having to wrestle with the tire on the floor with tire iron's.

I read about the No-Mar products. I have looked and looked and read until my head was spinning.

I was just afraid the HF one was too small or weaker that I wanted. I was just about ready to build one that would have looked very much like the one I bought.

My family calls me "Overkill Ken" because I build things very solid......But I don't have very many redo jobs!!

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 06:35 PM

It is better to over do it once than to have to redo it. I always over designed as an engineer. There are alot less headaches that way. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 07:50 PM

Let me know what you think of it.  Something like that would be the only way I would work on tires.  I hate working with tires like the plague.

Ben W.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 08:19 PM

Have one of those HF ones and similar to this, diff clamping on top. I can tear them off real easy, but have little luck getting the tool to stay in tire to roll them back on again. Think the curling end on tool needs re-design or ??  I use soapy water.  AND, one of biggest bummers is the center post is kinda big and you can't put front wheels from GT on it, they are smaller axle hole than the post is. Anything that unbolts from a hub seems to be big enough to slip over. I made mine mount to go into my hitch receiver on truck to hold it, but is a little high on some bigger tires.

• propane1 said thank you

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 08:24 PM

I have one of the small HF tire changers and it works great but is slow. When the center hole of the wheel is too small, I just knock out the bearings. I change the tire and put the bearings back in. I mounted mine off the end of a large steel work bench. The center shaft is horizontal, which seems to make it easier. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill said thank you

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 09:41 PM

Are you using an MC adapter with your HF changer?  I got 2 different center posts with the MC adapter and have no problem with any tires.  I did have to drill a new set of holes for the finger grip's to hold smaller front tires.

GlGrumpy, do you use some lube in the drop zone and on the top lip of the rim?  I can usually force the first bead over the rim then I use a block of wood and put it between the rim and tire to hold the tire down in the drop zone. Then use the mount bar hook into the tire and use my hip and right arm to put the mount bar around and use the left to keep both top and bottom bead in the drop zone. Tire usually slides right one.  If I have difficulty it is usually where I let some of the bead drop out of the drop zone.  No-mar has some really good video's on changing all kinds of tires.

• Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks