Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Who Knows Anything About This Book: World-Wide Guide To Massey 100 And 1000 Series Tractors?

/book recommendation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 02:04 PM

Who knows anything about this book about Massey tractors which I found on Amazon? 

http://www.amazon.co...series tractor 

There are no reviews on site, and thus far I haven't turned up any previews.

Anyone?

Thanks!

• GlenPettit and Gabriel have said thanks

#2 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 03:33 PM

Anybody ? 

<bump>

• Gabriel said thank you

#3 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • Member No: 45112
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 03:48 PM

No, but I'm anxious to hear your review of it!  :)

• HowardsMF155 and Gabriel have said thanks

#4 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 09:03 PM

I have one! It is a great book!

#5 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 09:04 PM

If you buy one, you won't regret it!

#6 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 09:08 PM

Who knows anything about this book about Massey tractors which I found on Amazon? 
http://www.amazon.co...series tractor 
There are no reviews on site, and thus far I haven't turned up any previews.

Anyone?

Thanks!

A friend of mine helped with info for that book.
  • MH81 said thank you

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 07:59 PM

Got the book this afternoon, I've only spent a few minutes leafing through it.  I'll post more thoughts on it once I've had a chance to read it.

• ENafziger and Gabriel have said thanks

#8 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 10:29 PM

Got the book this afternoon, I've only spent a few minutes leafing through it.  I'll post more thoughts on it once I've had a chance to read it.

Thanks, looking forward to your thoughts!

#9 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 10:38 AM

I've had a chance to read through this book now and share some thoughts.

1)  Chapters 1 though 6, roughly 80 pages, feature a few first hand accounts of a non-technical description of the improved features of the new tractors, the actual rollout of the tractors, a few accounts of how reliable operators found the new tractors, and some other personal anecdotes about Massey's international operations.

2)  Chapter 7 is a series of photos of 1xx series tractors working and resting from the Massey Archives.

3)  Chapter 8 is a bit of a training guide on how to demonstrate the new tractors to potential customers.

4)  Pages 128 to 311 consist mostly of dimensional data and pictures of the different tractors.  While the data is logically organized, with base models listed first, then the variations, I was disappointed to find only dry data, with no discussion about why the "vineyard" or "orchard" or "high clearance" models were modified in their respective fashions. 

5)  It was very interesting to glean a bit of information about the kits which converted these tractors from two-wheel drive to 4-wheel drive and the resulting changes to the tractor.  To summarize, the kits would either attach to the PTO which would be used in ground-speed mode rather than engine mode, or an adapter/spacer would be inserted into the frame behind the transmission and power would be used from there, in which case the tractor would be 7 inches longer and the turning radius would change slightly as well.  I once found a magazine article which talked about modifications to the 145, 175 and I think the 185 tractors which added a spacer which increased the wheelbase leading to better handling of heavy implements and increased clearance for the driver.  The new series was badged as the 148, 178, and 188.  I wonder which came first, the idea of the spacer for the xx8 tractors, or if someone at MF noticed the other positive effects of the adapter kit on tractor handling.  While those tractors were specifically mentioned in the article, I also found in the dimensional data a 158 and a 168 which appear to have been modified in this fashion also.

I found myself somewhat disappointed by this book.  As can be seen from point 4, the vast majority of this book is little more than tables of information about engines, transmissions, overall dimensions, tires and fluid capacities.  Although as noted, the information is organized logically into "families" such as the "130 family", it simply lists the tractors in numerical order, any variations available, and no timeline or reasons offered as to why the basic 135 diverged into a 130,132,133, 134V, and 139 tractors.  

While the personal anecdotes are interesting, they revolve more around operations and details of the unveiling of the "Red Giants" and cover little if any of the design decisions which led to the initial release of these tractors and the development of all the variations on the design.  So, for someone looking for information surrounding the unveiling of these tractors and raw data about the designs of the 100 series tractors, this book will fit the bill.  

• ENafziger and Gabriel have said thanks