• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 01:43 PM

So I purchased this Case 190 with FEL, during the winter and have not had much time to play around on it.  Now that the weather is better I have been driving the tractor.

I HAVE FOUND THAT THE forward/reverse DRIVE IS VERY WEAK.  Sometimes it can't make it up a hill.  The tires don't spin.  The motor does not strain much.  It just seams like the pump can't push the unit.  The FEL works great.  

The previous owner installed a new Northern Tool pump in it about one year ago.  I would think that he installed the correct oil.  Maybe he installed winter weight oil?

My question is why is there a lack of power. Could winter weight cause the lack of power?  Or something else?  I am very ignorant of drive systems of the old Case's.  Help! Help!

Attached Thumbnails

• photo-204.jpg

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 01:50 PM

I think the first thing I would do is change out the fluid and change the filter (if it has one) and then see how it does.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 04:26 PM

Does the loader work properly. If the loader has good speed and lift capacity then you are getting pressure and flow from the pump to the loader. We need someone with experience with the hydrive system.  Perhaps there is a problem with a relief valve for the hydraulic drive motor or with the motor itself. Just guessing here. 

#4 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,804 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 04:31 PM

I have an older case 155 here and it does the same thing.  it does not seem to have the power of my other machines, the tires will not spin out when under load.  this may be a common problem I don't know.  My daughter uses this to ride around on so it never really gets used.

#5 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 05:43 PM

I have an older case 155 here and it does the same thing.  it does not seem to have the power of my other machines, the tires will not spin out when under load.  this may be a common problem I don't know.  My daughter uses this to ride around on so it never really gets used.

What oil do you use in your 155?

Also what oil do I use.  The tractor says to use 20w 40.  I can only find 15w 40 in gallon containers sold at local stores.  Thoughts?

Edited by tom tractor, April 21, 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,804 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 07:35 PM

Whatever is in mine is what was in there when I got it,   I should change it but for now my daughter just rides it around so I am not doing much with it.  I would not guess about the oil, one of the other guys here could help better than me.  Good luck.

Pete

#7 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 09:09 AM

I'm using 15-40 in mine.
Sources I've found recommend it.
On weak drive power, one thing to check is the adjustment of the spool valve.
That valve directly under the center of the tractor has two valves in the center of it.
One is for the lift. The other is for the drive.
Get a manual and adjust per the procedure in there.

Joe
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#8 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 04:03 PM

Thanks.  I will investigate adjusting the spool valve.  

-The fluid is also down about one inch. Do you think that could make a difference?  

Edited by tom tractor, April 23, 2014 - 05:30 PM.

#9 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 07:05 PM

No, fluid level won't matter.

Joe

#10 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,226 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 09:33 PM

The Case drive systems are very simple. Pump, valve, motor. Nothing else. 15/40 is what I use in all 5 of mine. I found she'll rotella works well. Im sure other brands are great too. As for the drive, first thing is to change the fluid. Especially if you don't know whats in there. The valve adjustment is fairly simple. Just put it in neutral and center the valve underneath. How is reverse? Is there a squealing sound while trying to move? Also how is the loader valve plumbed?

Eric

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

#11 Karlos OFFLINE  

Karlos
  • Member No: 55793
  • 2 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 11:48 PM

If it doesnt drive with power when tilling or lift very good only full throttle to lift the tiller would that be the same problem ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk