Garden Tractor Forums banner

A Disappointing Moment

5K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  shorty 
#1 ·
Yesterday, after a long and stressful day. I thought I would take the S-16 for a short workout in the garden. My plans were to run the cultivator through it and stirr it a bit to help it dry out. After several passes to get the cultivator set right, it was finally going good. Then, a loud snap between my legs, brought all things to a halt. Drive shaft broke off resulting in a buch of carnage underneath.

Motor vehicle Car Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Gas Nut
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system

In its split second path of terror, it managed to snap one hydraulic line, crush another beyond repair, tried to crush the oil filter. Wouldn't surprise me if the shaft got bent also. I didn't get time to tear it apart to check the engine side at all yet. So who knows what all might be messed up there. So the tired little LT got the job of pulling it back into the shed where it will sit for a while til I find time to tear into it. Almost thought I was going to have to call a neighbor to come over and pull with his Gravely, but the little tractor got it done.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
That's too bad. Feel bad for you.

The fiber disc can be replaced with two or three layers of sheet metal stacked together. I did this on one tractor (kubota) and have had no problems with it yet. Just cut them the same shape as the fiber disc and drill the holes the same. They need to lay flat with each other when bolted together so remove all burs or imperfections.

#12 ·
It will be a week or two til I get it tore down complete. It is a really busy time for us right now, so a few things gotta slide to the back burner. I think I will check out some of those suggestions above. It wonders me now if the fiber disc was the problem or if it shattered because of another problem.

#17 ·
Thanks shorty. I keep looking at what is left of mine wondering where in the world I would find something to replace it with.

Can I ask something else?? What kind of cover pan goes over the area in your picture? Mine was missing when I got the tractor but I need to put something over that area so that I do get anything IMPORTANT caught up in that spinning driveshaft. :dancingbanana:

#18 ·
Right now I am thinking that it might have been a Dayton motor fan. I still have the factory tunnel cover yet, It had to get cut to fit the fan in. It is about 1/8 or 3/16 and has a lip that slips under the steering console and extends under the rear fender pan. I will try to get a pic of it for you.

#19 ·
Thanks shorty. I keep looking at what is left of mine wondering where in the world I would find something to replace it with.

Can I ask something else?? What kind of cover pan goes over the area in your picture? Mine was missing when I got the tractor but I need to put something over that area so that I do get anything IMPORTANT caught up in that spinning driveshaft. :dancingbanana:
There are numerous places on the internet to purchase ariens parts (including the fan). I've had good luck with Jacks small engine parts website. You'll need your model # (931----) and in some cases, serial # and then you'll find diagrams of all the various components. The only change I have found is sometimes the fan is black instead of white!!

#20 ·
There are numerous places on the internet to purchase ariens parts (including the fan). I've had good luck with Jacks small engine parts website. You'll need your model # (931----) and in some cases, serial # and then you'll find diagrams of all the various components. The only change I have found is sometimes the fan is black instead of white!!
I have checked Jack's a few times already. They have a great parts section, easy to use and figure out. Partstree is another good place. Only thing is, I have yet to buy something online. One thing that I didn't do yet. It is local or on the phone.

#26 ·
I have a few of those disc laying around if you need any just pay postage. I sold my ariens.

I have a box of parts I'll snap some pictures and post them. If you are interested.

Unless my dad did something with the parts.
Thanks, If you can get a picture, that would be great. I am not in a hurry to get on it right now. Too many other projects higher on the list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.