3 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 07:54 AM

As I mentioned in another thread, I picked up a Waterloo 30 on Wednesday.  Jtrojek helped me get it from the PO.  It is in rough shape, but at least it exists.  

Ken Arnold - data plate.JPG Ken Arnold - entire tractor.JPG Ken Arnold - left side.JPG

I was impressed that someone bothered to re-manufacture one of the ratchet hubs, complete with the locking teeth.

DSCN3478.JPG DSCN3479.JPG DSCN3480.JPG DSCN3487.JPG

I had always thought the 40 was just the 30 with a more powerful engine.  That doesn't seem to be the case for two reasons, one of which I will get to later.  The first reason is that the 40 uses an idler pulley as a clutching system to engage the drive wheels.  The 30 rotated the entire gearbox to tension the drive belt. One of the main problems with this 30 is that the drive engagement mechanism has been replaced.  Does anyone have a walk behind with a similar mechanism?  Maybe a Simplicity?

DSCN3495.JPG DSCN3494.JPG DSCN3482.JPG DSCN3481.JPG

The second problem is that the long plow hanger arm has been snapped & repaired.  I would like to replace it.  If someone has a spare, or has one they can take measurements from, that would be great. 

DSCN3497.JPG

Another none-standard, but funny, repair is that they welded an axe head on to replace the plow point.

DSCN3498.JPG

The second reason I now doubt that the 40 is simply a re-powered 30 is that popped up on Thursday night.  It has an ABN, just like the 40.

IMG_0186.JPG IMG_0524.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN3492.JPG

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, April 20, 2014 - 08:05 AM.

• Gtractor, IamSherwood and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 09:13 AM

I would leave the axe head thing on the plow. It was common at one time for a smith to add a piece on to the point of a worn plow, don't remember any one using an ax, but its a good looking repair.

#3 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,159 Thanks
  • 1,161 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 09:22 AM

The one on this wards made by midland is close to the same but operates on the other side of tractor

http://gardentractor...heelers/page-10

Post 147 has a picture

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#4 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 12:06 PM

Further update:  I have been emailing the owner of the second 30 I mentioned above.  The engine appears to be a factory replacement engine, not the original.