• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crokit OFFLINE  

crokit
  • Member No: 31952
  • 11 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 06:43 AM

Turn key, nothing.  Battery is full charged,  starter and selonoid are fine.  Appears that the fuse that USED to be off seloniod has been eliminated by previous owner.  What roll does the rectifier/regulator play, and the test to see if it is functioning properly?  Also, how can I test that ignition switch is good/bad? Amp gauge shows no + reading when key is turned, just the normal slight -.

Year of this Tech motor appears to be a 1986

Thanks inadvance for any help.    

Edited by crokit, April 20, 2014 - 06:46 AM.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 06:49 AM

Sounds to me that you have a bad ignition switch or at least the solenoid is not responding to it. If you replace the switch MAKE SURE you get the right one or else you will burn up some very expensive stuff.

Do you have a test light or meter?
  • crokit said thank you

#3 crokit OFFLINE  

crokit
  • Member No: 31952
  • 11 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 07:40 AM

Yup, I have a test light and ohm meter

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 08:41 AM

Sorry, had to open some Easter baskets with a 4 yr old. :D

I would start with cleaning ground connections at battery and at frame. Make sure good, then do tests.

Put the test light wire on the battery negative and the probe on the small solenoid stud with the wire that comes from the switch. (stay away from actual switch for now)
When you turn the key to start, you should have light. (Always be prepared for things to suddenly start moving)
Assuming you have light, does the solenoid click? If no light, bad switch, hot wire to switch, battery, main hot cable or solenoid. If light and no click, connections or bad solenoid.

If you don't have light, move probe to wire at small stud if you have light, does it click? If no, probably bad ground, switch or solenoid, if yes, maybe bad starter, or solenoid.

If you still don't have light, move probe to big stud at solenoid that has wire from battery. With or without the key on, it should have light.

If no light, bad cable, battery, connection.

The reason why I said to stay away from switch; get to poking around in there and accidentally short hot to the terminal for the CDI and we are all sad... We can do many tests that tell us much without getting back in there.

Let us know what you find and get back to us.
  • crokit said thank you