6 replies to this topic

#1 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 10:43 PM

I took a few minutes to service up my Massey 12 this morning.  It has been sitting in one place since I pushed it off the back of the trailer, and I wanted to get it out of the way and into some kind of protection. 

That old Tecumseh OH140 fired right up with fresh oil, fresh fuel, and a little love.  14 HP on a 12 HP tractor!
At least for a repower it is still the right brand...  It smokes like a mosquito fogger, but that is repairable.  I think the rings are stuck from how it sounds and from how compression is.  I can fix that.  :D

I do have a question about lights.  Most Masseys I see have the two headlights in the front, and sometimes one in the back. 

Did the 12 come both ways, with or without lights?  Mine is "lightless". 

The reason I ask is that I still have a 4 position ignition switch for a light system.  When I get a decal set, will it come with "eyeball holes" cut out in the front logo, or will it be fine and dandy for my tractor?

What size tires are correct?  My rear tires are ags, but the rims look much bigger than the tire does width wise. 

I'll probably restore this thing as soon as I get room in the shop to get it inside. 

Ben W.

• MFDAC, Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 11:06 PM

Glad you had it running today.

Yes they came both ways, with and with out lights.

When you get the decals they will be for what you have, if you added the lights you would just cut it out.

The tires where 23x8.50x12 originally. larger look great on them! You are limited on how large if you decide to use a deck though.

Good luck! And where are the pictures :poke: :D

• IamSherwood, HowardsMF155, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 06:58 AM

Glad you had it running today.

Yes they came both ways, with and with out lights.

When you get the decals they will be for what you have, if you added the lights you would just cut it out.

The tires where 23x8.50x12 originally. larger look great on them! You are limited on how large if you decide to use a deck though.

Good luck! And where are the pictures.

I agree. Noel
  • superaben said thank you

#4 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 07:24 AM

Here is a pic with two of my 12s, one with headlights, the other without.

post-4243-0-41104300-1380414801.jpg

Edited by HowardsMF155, April 20, 2014 - 07:25 AM.

• MH81, IamSherwood, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 09:36 PM

Here is a pic with two of my 12s, one with headlights, the other without.

attachicon.gifpost-4243-0-41104300-1380414801.jpg

Nice pair, there, Howard.  I love the stacks. 

Ben W.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 09:53 PM

Nice pair, there, Howard.  I love the stacks. 

Ben W.

I was wondering what you where referencing!? :D  :poke:  :rolling: Ok I'll go back to researching now  LOL.

• superaben said thank you

#7 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 05:27 PM

I took a few minutes to service up my Massey 12 this morning.  It has been sitting in one place since I pushed it off the back of the trailer, and I wanted to get it out of the way and into some kind of protection. 

That old Tecumseh OH140 fired right up with fresh oil, fresh fuel, and a little love.  14 HP on a 12 HP tractor!
At least for a repower it is still the right brand...  It smokes like a mosquito fogger, but that is repairable.  I think the rings are stuck from how it sounds and from how compression is.  I can fix that.  :D

I do have a question about lights.  Most Masseys I see have the two headlights in the front, and sometimes one in the back. 

Did the 12 come both ways, with or without lights?  Mine is "lightless". 

The reason I ask is that I still have a 4 position ignition switch for a light system.  When I get a decal set, will it come with "eyeball holes" cut out in the front logo, or will it be fine and dandy for my tractor?

What size tires are correct?  My rear tires are ags, but the rims look much bigger than the tire does width wise. 

I'll probably restore this thing as soon as I get room in the shop to get it inside. 

Ben W.

Mine is lightless too, and I'm sure the original tires are still on it, the 23x8.50x12 like was already said. Turf tires still in nice shape for 39 years old. Is yours a "G" or "H"? The 14 horse is kind of a bonus for you! I was wondering where the pics are too!

My fronts which I think are also original are 16x6.50x8.

DAC