• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 hillbillyd-luxx OFFLINE  

hillbillyd-luxx
  • Member No: 55939
  • 7 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 10:06 PM

Hey guys, new to the forum. Picked up my Case (Ingersoll) 446 today. Been looking to get one for awhile, we used to have one when i was a kid. My mom mowed with one for about 20 years or so. I know they never had any trouble with it, so I decided to get one after having issues with my 3 year old crapsman. Wanted to get a mower that had some meat and potatoes to it, and was worth repairing when it needed something. Read a lot of good things about  Onan motors, so I felt comfortable buying one. My dad stopped by today and was checking out the new digs, said he never had to mess with much of anything at all on ours. Only thing he could think of that he had to fix was the air cleaner nut rattled loose into the carb and ended up getting stuck in a valve. He said it still ran like that before he fixed it. Anyhow, I got a 44" blade with it, but it's missing the lift plate adapter so i'll have to make one. I'm going to clean the underside of it up in the next few days to determine where some oil leakage is coming from. Also plan on trying to widen the snow blade, as I think that's a bit narrow for that machine. I hope to have some pics loaded soon.

• sacsr, bgkid2966, zippy1 and 1 other said thanks

#2 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 12:26 AM

Congrats on the 446 :thumbs:

• hillbillyd-luxx said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,660 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 05:25 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the 446! Pics are simple, check out the video on uploading here.

#4 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 06:48 AM

Welcome to GTTalk! Congratulations on the 446. Post some pics. WE like pics.

Geno

#5 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 07:09 AM

Welcome and congrats on the Case. It's a heavy duty GT for sure.

#6 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 08:41 AM

:welcometogttalk:  The Case GT's are great machines, and very well built. I own a 222, and a 444, and I love them both. I look forward to seeing some pics of your 446, and its great to have you here. :thumbs:

Matt

#7 hillbillyd-luxx OFFLINE  

hillbillyd-luxx
  • 7 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 04:59 PM

Here are done pics guys. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Attached Thumbnails

• $_3-3.JPG
  • $_3-2.JPG
  • $_3-1.JPG
  • $_3.JPG

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#8 hillbillyd-luxx OFFLINE  

hillbillyd-luxx
  • 7 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 05:01 PM

One with the kiddo too. She loves playing on it already.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20140419_193814_285.jpg

Edited by hillbillyd-luxx, April 20, 2014 - 05:02 PM.

• coldone said thank you

#9 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 05:06 PM

That is a great looking Case! :thumbs:

Geno

#10 hillbillyd-luxx OFFLINE  

hillbillyd-luxx
  • 7 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 05:10 PM

One thing i did notice when i checked the air filter was there was a puddle of oil in the filter housing and the filter was pretty oil soaked. Is this common on these? Is it a problem? I assume the crank case breather is vented into the air filter housing, wasn't sure if it was an issue to have oil in there. Might be from loading and unloading it or possibly from the road trip home on the trailer?

#11 hillbillyd-luxx OFFLINE  

hillbillyd-luxx
  • 7 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 05:11 PM

Just have to get a good battery for it, the one in it is smoked. Also need a front tire, going to look into these and see where i can get that tire at a good price.

#12 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 05:20 PM

One thing i did notice when i checked the air filter was there was a puddle of oil in the filter housing and the filter was pretty oil soaked. Is this common on these? Is it a problem? I assume the crank case breather is vented into the air filter housing, wasn't sure if it was an issue to have oil in there. Might be from loading and unloading it or possibly from the road trip home on the trailer?

Check the seal on the dipstick, if its not sealing good it will cause the oil to shoot up into the air filter. I used a couple of wraps of electrical tape to help mine seal and I had no more oil problems.

• Rock farmer said thank you

#13 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,397 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 10:12 PM

Congrats on the Case/Ingersoll. Looks like you got a good one. I have a few myself (226, 442, 444, 446, 448). I kind of like them. Great mowing and all around work horses. I would definitely get an upper engine gasket kit and pull the heads and valve covers. A common cause for major failure on Onan engines are carbon buildup and out of adjustment valves causing rod failure. In the manual its supposed to be done every 500 hours. Wouldn't hurt for a little piece of mind on yours. Also the 44" blade was sold for the 200 series (12" wheel) machines. It will mount on yours but will not cover the tires. It should have a 54" blade. Not hard to find and you could probably sell that one and get the 54" with that money. They usually sell for the same price. Enjoy the machine! The only limit it has is what your willing to do with it.

Eric

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, April 20, 2014 - 10:15 PM.

#14 hillbillyd-luxx OFFLINE  

hillbillyd-luxx
  • 7 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 10:17 AM

Congrats on the Case/Ingersoll. Looks like you got a good one. I have a few myself (226, 442, 444, 446, 448). I kind of like them. Great mowing and all around work horses. I would definitely get an upper engine gasket kit and pull the heads and valve covers. A common cause for major failure on Onan engines are carbon buildup and out of adjustment valves causing rod failure. In the manual its supposed to be done every 500 hours. Wouldn't hurt for a little piece of mind on yours. Also the 44" blade was sold for the 200 series (12" wheel) machines. It will mount on yours but will not cover the tires. It should have a 54" blade. Not hard to find and you could probably sell that one and get the 54" with that money. They usually sell for the same price. Enjoy the machine! The only limit it has is what your willing to do with it.

Eric

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. I was considering pulling the heads and re ringing it in the near future. Have to check the valves and clean the carbon while i'm at it. Does your 446 bog/stumble a bit when you are in high gear and try to move forward quickly? while at a stop, if i give the travel lever(forward/reverse lever)  a good bump (atleast half speed on the travel lever) , it bogs and stumbles a second while it takes off, then clears up. Wondering if thats normal or if it is suffering from some power loss. I want to go through everything like clean out the carb, take the heads off, re ring it, fix any leaks, etc but now that i have a plowing machine for the winter, it seems that there isn't a good time for the machine to be down for repairs.