8 replies to this topic

#1 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 09:15 PM

Back in the middle of winter, my B110 quit moving. It would run and the transmission tube would turn, but it wouldn't move. I wasn't sure if the tube broke were I couldn't see, or something in the differential. I finally got around to pulling it out and pulling the differential hub off, and found something I never expected, the roll pins for the hub gear sheared off. Now to answer questions, the transmission I have in it if out of a B10, I found that they updated how they attach the gear on the tranny that is supposed to be on it. It still fits, so I can finally drive it again, I'm glad that it wasn't the axle tube because I really didn't feel like tearing a transmission apart.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2298.JPG
  • 100_2301.JPG
  • 100_2299.JPG
  • 100_2302.JPG

• hamman, sacsr, chris m and 2 others have said thanks

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 09:21 PM

Glad you found the problem and that it wasn't to bad of a fix.

Trowel (Jesse) just had this happen to his also.Must be a common problem? I do like the idea of roll pins, as they will shear before anything else (typically).

And it's funny you post about working on your B110 as I spent the day working on mine also :D

My problem was the bevel gear box though.

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 09:38 PM

I would assume that it was a fairly common problem back when they made them, why I am guessing they changed the design. The roll pins are nice, just not the best, you shouldn't need to worry about them shearing with the way the differential is set up. I may see if I can get what is left of the pins out and maybe fix it .

• Alc and chris m have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,624 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 07:11 AM

I see some kind of slide hammer in your future.
Glad it wasn't a major issue, hope the repair is easy.

#5 AlleyKatz51 OFFLINE  

AlleyKatz51
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 55758
  • 41 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 11:40 AM

First post on the AC/Simplicity section of this forum so hello to all. The wheel hubs with the pinned gear were a problem especially for tractors doing dozing or garden plowing. If a tractor only did mowing the pinned gears lasted quite awhile. It became common to replace the pinned hubs regardless when we found them. The next thing to break under heavy load would be a pinion in the differential unit. Glad it was an easy fix.

Chuck 

• MH81, sacsr, chris m and 1 other said thanks

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 06:03 PM

A few years ago I picked up a tractor locally here in town, the guy said it drove but would not turn corners.  the rear would lock up solid and then the tractor would quit.  when we got it home we found that the axle tube had been very badly welded to the differential housing then the end had also been welded together making it a solid rear end.  needless to say we cut the axle shaft apart and had to put a different trans in to get the tractor moving again.  The initial reason for the crappy repair was exactly the problem you are having but whoever did it did not know about the roll pins.

Best part is, trowel (jesse) is the one who has that tractor now and I see he is mentioned as having that trouble.   I personally have never had this happen to one of my machines and I use them allot.

• toppop52 said thank you

#7 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 08:35 PM

The wheel hubs with the pinned gear were a problem especially for tractors doing dozing or garden plowing. If a tractor only did mowing the pinned gears lasted quite awhile. It became common to replace the pinned hubs regardless when we found them. The next thing to break under heavy load would be a pinion in the differential unit. Glad it was an easy fix.

Chuck 

I was using it to plow snow when it broke, the only strange thing is that I have used it to plow for a few years and the snow I was pushing when it broke wasn't even heavy.

#8 AlleyKatz51 OFFLINE  

AlleyKatz51
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 55758
  • 41 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 10:35 AM

It was likely partially broke for some time. Snow plowing was the final straw. Hopefully you have found all the bits from the roll pins. Should a piece get into the pinions there could be more trouble. It wouldn't be the worst idea to tear down the differential unit and do a clean and check. It is a gummy & PITA job though. Good luck.

Chuck 

#9 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 06:48 PM

It was likely partially broke for some time. Snow plowing was the final straw. Hopefully you have found all the bits from the roll pins. Should a piece get into the pinions there could be more trouble. It wouldn't be the worst idea to tear down the differential unit and do a clean and check. It is a gummy & PITA job though. Good luck.

Chuck 

I know I should, and may do it over the summer. I know roughly how it will look inside since I recently rebuilt a hi/lo for the tranny that is supposed to be in it, and will eventually get fixed and put back in it.