12 replies to this topic

#1 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 07:34 PM

Hey guys, If I get a Hughes Net high speed internet, can i go to Wallyworld and get a wireless [router, switch, thingie] and the other peice that plugs into usb port for my PC? Daughter who lives 150 feet away, has wireless already on her new laptop. Do you think this will work for the two of us?

As you know, I am "TC", [technology challenged] George

#2 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 08:48 PM

I am certainly not an expert on computers but I'll tell you how well our wireless router works. We have a netgear wireless router hooked up for my wife's laptop and our son's net book.It works great in any part of the house but only gets about 25 feet away from the house outside. It works well out on our deck but much past that and you loose signal. I'd like it if it would make 15o feet because then it would work in my garage. Maybe there are bigger and more powerful routers available.
  • dryrun said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 09:17 PM

I think 150' wouldn't be that hard , I could get online with my laptop when I got within that 150' range of my neighbors , straight line with only one exterior wall. Good router and if that doesn't work they have external antennas for laptops .
  • dryrun said thank you

#4 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 09:38 PM

Yes, you should be able to setup the router to work. If any computer can be plugged into your Hughes net without setup or password (DHCP, dynamic host configuration protocol) then you wont need to set up the router. Just plug a "telephony" looking cable (did you get that one? LOL) from the WAN port on the router to the the Hughes net modem. If the computer has to be set up with pass and username that is easy to set up on the router. All cable and dsl providers I have dealt with do not need any information but I dont know if the satelite companys want you tying up their network? Not sure how the satelite works. I know the timing is bad, but the transfer rate is good. And how far the wireless goes will be dependent on what the walls are made of, how much radio interference, how powerful the radios are. I would get a 802.11 N router. And a matching 802.11 N adapter for your computer. If you get an older G or find a A card in the attic your network will go to "legacy mode" where the router will only transmit as fast as the oldest card.

#5 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 09:48 PM

Newegg.com - BUFFALO WZR-HP-G300NH 802.11b/g/n Nfiniti Wireless High Power Gigabit Router up to 300Mbps/ Open Source DD-WRT Support

Newegg.com - Buffalo Nfiniti Wireless-N WLI-UC-G300N - Network adapter - Hi-Speed USB - 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n (draft) 2x2 antenna 300Mbps
no, you dont need to buy the same brand. I have had good luck with the Buffalo line. Especially the old G routers with the high power radio.

If it were me I would install an internal card. All that you would do is shut the computer down, pop the side off, slide the card in, then install the software like you would for a usb adapter. The internal cards are cheaper and have more power. If you give me your model of computer I can tell you what will work
Newegg.com - TP-LINK TL-WN781ND IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express Wireless Adapter Up to 150Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, WPA, WPA2
  • dryrun said thank you

#6 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 10:22 PM

Thanks for response guys, I think I am going to go ahead and talk to Hughes Net dealer and see what happens.

Computer is DELL Dimension C521/ Windows 7 home.

I kind of like those prices, 80.00 for router, and 20.00 for adapter. I think that is better than Wworld.

Thanks George

#7 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 12:15 AM

That internal, pci-express card will fit. The only problem you will have is the backing plate will need to be bent or removed because of your low profile case.
  • dryrun said thank you

#8 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 02:14 AM

I didn't look at the routers posted, but newegg is good way to go. I'm partal to linksys myself, but I know there are other good ones.
There is no reason for you to get a wireless adapter for your desktop computer you'll be much better off going with hardline(rj45) to the router for that. For your daughters laptop, if its new than it is most likely N capable so you want a router that will support that. The G standard is plenty fast enugh, but N allowes for a differant frequncy that gets it away from common interferance, microwaves for example produce radio noise in the 2400 MHz range as well as some cordless phones, and that is in the same spectrum as the A,B and G wireless network standards.
hope this helps george.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 11:51 AM

I think a wireless N would reach, but at only 150', you could also hardwire it. You can hardwire with a network cable with great results up to 300'.

#10 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 12:17 PM

I had hughes net for a couple years and i belive for the price they charge you would not be happy with it.Every time it rained,snowed or was realy cloudy it was out.They also have a system that only lets you have some much use they allow each day.They may have changed that by now but when we had it if the kids used it alot during the day i could not get on at night.So sundays was the day a did alot online and no one could use it that day so i could at night.So if your daughter uses it alot you may find that you will not be able to until it resets for you.If it was me i would not recommened them to anyone or use them.But if you do go with them just have the daughters laptop there when they install the epuipment and the will set the laptop up also.Just make sure you get the wireless modem they have and it would run the laptop.I belive they now offer a wirless modem.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 12:18 PM

I am guessing you are going to be getting the high speed service at your place? If that is the case make sure the modem and wireless router are setup at the wall closest to your daughters place preferable close to a window. If that isn't the room where you want your pc then you can either run a network cable to your pc or get a wireless adapter for your pc, if you are lucky and the room that is closest to her place is also the room where you want your pc then just use a network cable to run from the router to your pc. The more walls the signal has to pass through the less distance you will get out of it. Also depends on what materials the houses are made out of.

Make sure you setup wireless security even if it is just WEP, you would be surprised how many open wireless networks are out there and if it is open people can get on your network and do some nasty stuff if they wanted to.

I am a big fan of Linksys stuff also. I also love Newegg and there are a lot of things that they have that is cheaper then Wally world. You can also find deals on free shipping.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 12:22 PM

I had hughes net for a couple years and i belive for the price they charge you would not be happy with it.Every time it rained,snowed or was realy cloudy it was out.They also have a system that only lets you have some much use they allow each day.They may have changed that by now but when we had it if the kids used it alot during the day i could not get on at night.So sundays was the day a did alot online and no one could use it that day so i could at night.So if your daughter uses it alot you may find that you will not be able to until it resets for you.If it was me i would not recommened them to anyone or use them.But if you do go with them just have the daughters laptop there when they install the epuipment and the will set the laptop up also.Just make sure you get the wireless modem they have and it would run the laptop.I belive they now offer a wirless modem.

Bob does bring up a good point. Hughes bought another company and combined the two and their network is overloaded. They use cache servers to help cut down the amount of bandwidth used and out of the people that we have had where they had trouble with the site or downloading manuals about 50% of them were on hughes. It is just a heads up and I don't know what all services are available in your area but it wouldn't hurt to shop around.

#13 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 12:28 PM

This is what I setup for a friend of mine. I setup a Linksys WRT54G router in his Neighbors house basement window with a Linksys Range Extender in my friends garage window and he uses a wireless laptop. Only 1 service call in 2 years. This is a wireless G set up approximately 250 ft with line of site except for some bushes.

I did the same set up for my neighbor and I can see his wireless in my house 400 ft away. Signal is to weak to be reliable though but I can use it.

Should be a piece of cake with wireless N. Better range and less chance of interference. The less walls you have between the two the stronger the signal received so router placement will make a big difference in signal strength.