• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Likesspace OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54810
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 06:24 PM

Today has been a long one.

I started off at 5:30 a.m. going to pick up over 2000 lbs. of composted cow manure.

The loading part was easy since my wife's cousin used his front end loader.

Unloading...not so easy.

After a couple of hours of shovel work I was able to grab the David Bradley and plow the manure into the garden. After about 20 minutes I realized that this is not a job for the old and weak but regardless it did 100 times better than any rear tine tiller could ever do. 

I then hooked up to the disc and broke and leveled the soil. I was amazed at how good it looked after running the disc over what I had just plowed.

I then hooked up the cultivator, (with the five finger tines), and used it as a field cultivator running at an angle.

After running at an angle I then went over it again, running straight and I was absolutely amazed at the job the DB had done on my garden!

This is without a doubt the best that my garden has looked this early in the season. The soil could be seeded right now with no further preparation.

I already had some short rows of lettuce, spinach, radishes and onions growing so I simply side dressed with manure and then tilled it in with my Mantis tiller. Other than that, all was done with the DB.

This is NOT an easy machine to use. Going through the garden was a piece of cake but I have short rows and the turns were killers. Even though it's not easy I plan on using this tractor until I'm unable to do so.  I was amazed at what a quality job it is able to do. 

After working on the garden I then cleaned and coated the plow....fertilized my lawn.....scooped out the rest of the manure and spread it on a garden at our home and did a little work in the garage.

Like I said it was a long but productive day and I'm sitting here now feeling really good about what has been accomplished.

Time to throw some rib eyes on the grill and do some serious relaxing.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Attached Thumbnails

• garden1.JPG
  • garden2.JPG

• daytime dave, Gtractor, MH81 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,293 Thanks
  • 6,497 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 06:36 PM

I   used my DB  last week to plow part of the garden and your right it wasn't easy for me lol  I do believe there  are   a few members  whom could have set my tractor & plow much better then  I did . I've  seen some of their videos  and they sure didn't look like they were struggling like me . 

• Likesspace said thank you

• Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 06:37 PM

Nice job on the garden!

Yes, the DB can be a bear to handle until you get used to it. After while you figure out ways to maneuver them better and it gets easier. If you ever find one that has the differential axle and reverse they're the Cadillac. The differential axle makes it much easier to turn and the reverse is probably the best feature one could have.

• superaben and Likesspace have said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 10:47 PM

Nice looking garden.  You are aware that gardens prepared by antique equipment generally have better tasting produce, right?  Science proved it.

The differential axle makes it much easier to turn and the reverse is probably the best feature one could have.

That's the truth.  I learned fast: don't drive a David Bradley into a spot where you will have to back it up.  You will hurt yourself pulling it back out. 

Ben W.

• Alc and Likesspace have said thanks

• Member No: 8535
  • 75 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 08:02 AM

You're a better man than me..!! I leave the plowing to the IH 240 w/Fast Hitch 2 bottom, and disking to the Ford 2000 w/ Massey 3 pt, disk.

I leave the rest to the Bradley's for row marking, hill making, some planting and most cultivating. When things get too big for the Bradley to straddle, and still need attention in the weeding dept., I use my Lodge & Shipley 1 wheeler, with a 5 tine weeder attachment. Sure beats a push plow..!! 

• Alc and Likesspace have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,693 Thanks
  • 28,340 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 01:45 PM

Nice looking plot. Glad the DB did what you wanted, even if it was a workout to do.
  • Likesspace said thank you

#7 Likesspace OFFLINE  

• 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 03:05 PM

First off, thanks for the comments.

Today I had planned on widening the garden after we finished sunrise services. There is about 30 feet on the south side of the garden that is currently in sod.

Well when I got out of bed this morning and had to take a couple of ibuprofen before even brushing my teeth I decided that little project was on hold until later this week or possibly next weekend.

I've decided that my winter muscles just aren't quite ready for all of this summer work but slowly and surely I'm getting there. 

Hopefully within another couple of weeks I'll be able to put in a full day without feeling like I'm close to death. 

#8 Likesspace OFFLINE  

• 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 06:22 PM

Oh and one more thing.....

I've mostly complained about how much of a workout the David Bradley is to use but I wanted to say that in the end it is so worth the effort. 

A few years ago I owned a 5 hp Craftsman rear tine tiller that could not have come close to the deep tilling that the DB accomplished.

I also once owned an 8 hp MTD rear tine tiller that could have come close to working the soil to the depth that the DB did but it was just as much of a workout as the DB

When I found my tractor I was fully planning on picking up a new Husqvarna rear tine tiller but I'm so glad that I decided on the DB instead. For one it was half the price of the Husqvarna and I'm certain that when all is said and done it does a better job. 

Pretty amazing for a 64 year old machine. 

• heatseaker1 said thank you