sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 01:47 PM

I read last year like pigsitter mentioned they would only be sold in China. I've had a 99 Grand Cherokee since 2000...one of the best vehicles I've owned.

Jim you did better than me - I replaced 2 sets of rear bearings in my daughters 99 Grand Waggoner plus it had electrical gremlins. I have had 3 grand waggoneers. I loved my 1987 but it was a piece junk......still every time I see an old gun metal grey one, I want to chase them down and buy it....even though I know better!
  • Sawdust said thank you

#17 Kentucky OFFLINE  

Kentucky
  • Member No: 55814
  • 106 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 07:41 PM

I have had huge problems from dodge trucks the last two years. Rear end and transmission in a 98' then bought a 08. Within two months the rear end locked up, breaking the drive shaft and shearing the transfer case right off the transmission at 109K easy miles. Pieces of my rear end and transfer case strewn for 100' down the road. :mad2:

• HDWildBill and toppop52 have said thanks

#18 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 07:53 PM

My ram was a good truck. Ton of miles. Wheel bearings, front axles, and the sludge problem. Not bad really considering that truck was ran hard.

my dad had 2 grand Cherokee. A 97 and a 2001. One of my old bosses had a 2000 grand Cherokee with over 300k. No major failures. Most people I've know with jeep products I know only complain about fuel economy.

I said this in another post and got beat on. The only thing I will buy is an import.

My next truck will be a Toyota Tacoma quad cab.

Edited by toomanytoys84, April 20, 2014 - 07:56 PM.

#19 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 09:27 PM

.... then bought a 08. Within two months the rear end locked up,

Out of curiosity, what brand rear axle did that have?  That would've been around the time they switched to American Axle rears.

#20 Kentucky OFFLINE  

Kentucky
  • 106 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 10:28 PM

Out of curiosity, what brand rear axle did that have?  That would've been around the time they switched to American Axle rears.

You in all honesty I don't know..Im sure I still have the VIN around here somewhere..I was lucky I was doing 30mph with no traffic. I still skidded for 70'+ when it locked up.

#21 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 09:50 AM

She hated her 09 Lib, I didn't mind it as much since it was a lot more comfortable for me. It was a piece of junk though.

my wifes loves hers, I hate the piece of junk. I find the seats like Willie says, hard at a board and they stain if you look at them wrong.

Pulled the front driveshaft last night, starting to shake something aweful during acceleration. I Just replaced that ujoint last spring, already shot.

Edited by TAHOE, April 21, 2014 - 09:51 AM.

#22 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 10:01 AM

When I first saw this thread title I figured you were refering to this:

2014cherokee43-opt-1.jpg

They took the most popular SUV in history and turned it into a crossover. WTF.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#23 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 10:19 AM

2014cherokee43-opt-1.jpg

Ahhhh the nearsighted Jeep

#24 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 11:30 AM

2014cherokee43-opt-1.jpg

That's what happens when an Italian company takes it over. It's supposedly a very capable off roader, but man, is it ugly!

• HDWildBill said thank you

#25 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 11:50 AM

It is indeed ugly! My son has driven Jeeps for most of his life, started with a CJ-7 and moved to Wranglers, he's on Wrangler number 5, his third Unlimited and second 4 door, a 2013 Rubicon I believe, he's had great luck with his. He did have the little Comanche pickup that was a clunker, but it was worn out when he bought it as a project. He also had a 90's Cherokee that he bought to off road with when he was in his Firebird Firehawk/Cadillac CTSv stage . That was a good little vehicle. My daughter drove 2 Wranglers then bought a new '99 Cherokee and it was very good truck. I owned 3 Grand Cherokee's, 2 Limiteds that I drove and 1 my wife drove, all three were good vehicles with nothing but normal service to well over 100k miles. I had a '77 J-10 that I loved but it was old when I got it, and I had a Grand Wagoneer that got 9 mpg, so I put a new carb on it, made sure it was tuned well, checked the exhaust and made it right, shot up to 10 mpg!  I'm not a Jeep guy, but my experience has been good overall.

• HDWildBill, twostep and Sawdust have said thanks

#26 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 04:26 PM

I have had huge problems from dodge trucks the last two years. Rear end and transmission in a 98' then bought a 08. Within two months the rear end locked up, breaking the drive shaft and shearing the transfer case right off the transmission at 109K easy miles. Pieces of my rear end and transfer case strewn for 100' down the road. :mad2:

Father in law had the same problems with his work trucks. The company kept buying Dodge 2500 4x4s. He would take one up to camp, and it would come back on a trailer everytime. After 2 years of this, the company sold off its Dodge fleet, and went to Fords. No more problems.

Have a buddy that had a hemi pickup, lasted 46k before the rear end piled up. He was pretty hard on it though.

Used to have driveline problems on my 76 Charger as well, couldn't keep u-joints and pinion yokes in it. In my experience, Chrysler has always had great engines, but weak drivelines.

Edited by Chopperhed, April 21, 2014 - 04:27 PM.

• toppop52 said thank you

#27 Kentucky OFFLINE  

Kentucky
  • 106 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 04:34 PM

Yea, Im not hating on dodge honestly just telling the truth. I know  5 people personally who had transmission and rear end problems from newer model dodge trucks. At least three of then catastrophic failures.

#28 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 07:52 PM

I never had a Dodge newer than '02, but they had some of the best rears and trannies in the business with the 8 3/4" and Dana 60, and the Torqeflite was a good transmission in its day. The newer transmissions were problematic and old fashioned, not going to electronic controls for full operation until 10 years after GM and Ford. So I wouldn't say they were behind always.