• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kentucky OFFLINE  

Kentucky
  • Member No: 55814
  • 106 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 03:12 PM

Ive read several posts about repowering with predator engines. Im thinking of the 13 hp engine with electric start(two year replacement warranty). Ive read that it has a 3 amp recharge, anyone confirm this? Also were you able to take the electric start off and wire it directly to the key on your dash? I have no problems with some fabrication. thanks

• Traill95 said thank you

#2 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 06:43 PM

Hi Kentucky,

I've put one of those Predator engines in one of my tractors, a Massey 12 Hydro.  Here is my installation:  

http://gardentractor...10395-it-lives/

My wiring was pretty shot on this machine, so I moved the engine key start around to a place on the steering tower where I could access it.  I can't confirm a 3 amp charge, but I can say its pretty low.  It has been enough to keep my battery charged for two years though, so no complaints there.  The engine itself has done well since I bought it, this tractor has been my main mower through two seasons.  Until yesterday, I never ran into a situation where it lacked power.  Yesterday I tackled the right of way outside our neighborhood, where the grass has grown up nearly a foot high and thick.  There was finally enough load on the mower to pull the engine down if I moved too fast, however I haven't sharpened the blades since last season either.

You might also want to look at the Lifan engines at Home Depot.  Reports are that some of them are available with up to a 15 amp charger. 

• Alc and Kentucky have said thanks

#3 Kentucky OFFLINE  

Kentucky
  • 106 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 06:52 PM

Thanks very much for the info, I do appreciate it..

#4 Kentucky OFFLINE  

Kentucky
  • 106 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 06:59 PM

Just to let you know I looked at home depots site, they do offer a 15 hp Lifan with 18 amp charger for $409

• Alc said thank you