#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 12:11 AM

Have new 88 Speedex Eagle with 12hp vertical briggs. Starter works but found the drive retainer broken and gear jambed. I want the whole gear drive kit. Has 16hp gear, but finding diff parts for rest in kits or else kits come with more than needed, or PO has diff parts from other rigs?? Mine as removed does not have a spring, but could have been lost. Has the roll pin to hold a plastic retainer with slots for pin. Then I think gear just sets down over the spiral gear that has the big flat end at motor end. The gear can't pass the retainer. The spec number says starter is a starte AND alternator, part I don't get. Is the thing supposed to stay engaged when running to be an Alt?? Or, does that just mean engine has alt under flywheel like most?  This is NOT a starter/gen like old units. PO also had a metal washer like  retainer over the plastic one and didn't allow the pin to go into the retainer then. I'm thinking that is not right part on it and should not be there at all. Seems that washer was jambing up into the flywheel teeth is why it didn't look right and as noted, pin not in slot then either. Still not sure on coil spring tho under the retainer. SO, need parts book for my  Type number engine maybe?  I went to Briggs site and could put in model  281707  and only part of spec 0187-01, it left off the 01 at end. Then instead of Code 88041811 it wanted a Trim number, which I don't have and didn't work. Re-tried with two xx in that spot and lit up at first, but didn't work again. So, lost on how to get parts book for my spec. OR, can I just get one of those bigger kits on epay and NOT use all the parts then? I have saved several to study and most look the same with same kit numbers or close.  Searched here for 280000 model. Closest was 240000 and it is diff, mine is vertical and next model shown is 320000 bigger rigs. Wouldn't you know I would get some newer hard to find one. Must be my luck it always seems I get the odd ones.

Edited by glgrumpy, April 19, 2014 - 12:21 AM.

#2 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,167 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 05:08 AM

Here is your IPL

http://www.ereplacem...650_224749.html

Part number 696540

part_696540.gif

Edited by drbish, April 19, 2014 - 05:16 AM.

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 07:51 AM

Dr Bish, been looking at those, most offered on epay. But, mine has none of the taller parts above gear or that spring. BUT, as mentioned, might just be PO messed up. That was why I was wanting a parts book. I'll look at your link.

Looked at link, is good. Why didn't I find that?  Couldn't even get the whole ID thing into place. I didn't try to print it out, not sure you can?  Will look later when more time. Thanks for that link. Going to my local dealer now and see what he has and his opinion too.

Edited by glgrumpy, April 19, 2014 - 08:01 AM.

#4 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,167 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 08:10 AM

I probably have the IPL out in the shed,It is pouring down rain here will go out and get my book when it lets up.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 08:26 AM

If its the one pictured above, this is for the "Old Style" B&S starters

My list for that is $21.50 if you cant find it locally.

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 09:10 PM

Guys, the local shop didn't have the 40 model, but had older 39 number and it was about same and I got it. Dropped it on and mounted and worked!  I have started many  times now. I DID go buy new battery, one one shot, and jumping not as good. Smoked like a Fogger, kinda  dissapoined, but more I ran, less smoke and now nothing. I'm happy on that. Even got the Hydro tested and goes back/forth, just no steering yet, so didn't really drive.