• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 04:12 PM

Let it down easy is like asking a teenager to hold the flash lite where you need it...
  • trowel, TAHOE and Bill 76 have said thanks

#47 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 05:35 PM

My jack is a crap shoot putting it down easy. One time you can get it down easy and the next time it falls like a stone.

• TAHOE and Bill 76 have said thanks

#48 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 05:11 AM

Let it down easy is like asking a teenager to hold the flash lite where you need it...

Or the wife, but at least the teenager doesn't run off and pout.

• MH81, HowardsMF155, TAHOE and 1 other said thanks

#49 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,477 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 09:03 AM

Success!!!! 

I think I taught my son how to get in a rush, not drain the pan, then proceed to dump copious amounts of tranny fluid on the drive  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

He said "don't worry dad, it just matches the other oil stains from my Bronco"   :mad2:  :D

I could see fine metal particles in the rear tail shaft housing, something definitely got chewed up.

Redneck tranny drain stand, -old rim/tire, two cinder blocks and a drain pan  :thumbs:

tranny drain.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, July 30, 2014 - 09:04 AM.

• TheFarm2004, MH81, UncleWillie and 1 other said thanks

#50 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,477 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 09:05 AM

Or the wife, but at least the teenager doesn't run off and pout.

At least you got her to come out and try to help  :D

#51 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,477 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 08:39 AM

Well, she is back home and I'm $900 poorer. 

Guy did a good job, especially with my damage. I guess the planetaries busted, took out the parking ring, a clutch shell and the sun shell coupler was worn out. He said he had over $600 in new parts including converter and all new solenoids so I am overall happy. He said he did some upgrades to help with the towing I do so it should last.

When I took converter to him, he questioned the date saying it was from 2014. He Checked with supplier and they told him it was actually Jan -2004 and when he tore it down, he found non factory rebuild parts so it appears this tranny was rebuilt in 2004. Guess they just re-used most of the hard parts and they let go on me, especially with all the heavy hauling I do.

Hopefully I can get it installed in the next week to two and back on the road. Need to make sure it's working fine before I take this one trip to Ky in Sept  :smilewink:

My carnage.....

tranny parts.jpg

• olcowhand, MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#52 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 09:02 AM

I think I'll lay my money on the back planetary set. That's the one being used in 1st. Usually when the sun shell breaks it doesn't make a consistant noise. It's more random and usually faint.. You lose 2nd, 4th, and rev but still have 1st and 3rd. It just results in a late shift feel and goes straight from 1st to 3rd.

Looks like I had the lucky guess back in April. I've seen too many of those fail. Glad its back together. Do some serious cleaning of the cooler and lines. Or, better yet, just eliminate it and replace it with an external one. they make trans cooler flush in a spray can but I use brake cleaner and compressed air.

• TAHOE said thank you

#53 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,477 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 11:42 AM

Yep you were dead on, it was the low gear set. He thinks when it jerked in reverse early in my trip that day, pieces of the small gears broke then just grinded away as I drove then when I was at the light it broke good. He think the parking ring busted when we pulled up on the roll back, I was manning the wheel and forgot to put in neutral when truck drive winched it up. It was already too late when we realized it. 

He said same thing, use some brake or carb cleaner and blow out lines. I would like to buy a nice big cooler and replace it all, but I gotta buy tires and shocks for it too like real soon so.....'mo money, 'mo money, 'mo money! 

• MH81 said thank you

#54 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 07:44 PM

Glad you are getting it back on the road!

Always something to spend money on.

500 dollars worth of tires on my camry 200 dollars for struts on my wife's kia. Timing belt on the ranger(cheap but time consuming)
  • TAHOE said thank you

#55 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 06:50 AM

If cars and trucks had 3 pedals under the steering wheel and shaft we could take hundreds of thousands of Americans and Canadians off the road. they just wouldn't want to teach that left leg and foot what to do.

So much easier to change a clutch disk and pressure plate every couple hundred thousand miles too.

:D   Al

• TAHOE and Bill 76 have said thanks

#56 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,477 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 08:32 AM

Spent 5-6 hrs Saturday under the Tahoe getting tranny ans transfer case back in. Man, I'm getting too old to be lying under a vehicle on a creaper with just a floor jack doing this stuff, I hurt all over Sunday and Monday. Put about a quart in convertor, another 4 quarts down tube, fire it up to circulate fluid. Son yells "dad, oil or something is all over ground". Shut it down....I broke little plastic line going to manual oil pressure guage while I was up top tightening the top housing bolts :wallbanging:  Of course, it takes a special compression ferrel :wallbanging:

Sunday, get that fixed, fire it up again. Now I have tranny fluid all over drive.... what the ???? :wallbanging:  The top tranny line is leaking at fitting. Removed, check Oring, good, still no good. Took Monday off work, new Oring, still no good. Called rebuild guy, he says to replace fitting, then if still not fixed to check line as they can crack around the flaring on end. New fitting did not fix so off comes the line....typical my luck, it is the long one the goes to cooler in front of the line rad, grill had to come out. Once line is out, I see there was a small crack around flare. Thinking back, I used a small screwdriver to drive line into fitting cause it was tight, I made a puncture in the flaring. Of course it's also the $57 line with a lfexible hose on it, not the $15 hard line :wallbanging:  :wallbanging: :wallbanging:  and won't be in until Thurs :wallbanging:

I sure hope this will be the end with the tranny, tired of dropping money in this thing. Still needs shocks and tires too.

• olcowhand said thank you

#57 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 04:48 PM

Ouch.

Had to put a transmission into my Chev 4x4.  I had the mechanic replace the rad and lines because the old transmission had gernaded a bearing and there were filings throughout the system.  The lines were due and the rad appeared to be original (12 years old).

Hopefully you are not in this position.

#58 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,477 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 10, 2014 - 08:18 AM

No, I broke parts, but there was very little metal particles in pan or on magnet, parts just all broke. Rebuilder said this tranny had been rebuilt before i got it and they probably just re-used all the hard parts which were probably worn and then add me towing more than I should, I all finally gave up the ghost.

Radiator is new last year and lines are in good condition, I just boogered up the end on the line causing my issue.

• motobreeder said thank you

#59 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,477 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 08:55 AM

Got line replace all back together. Warmed it up, checked fluid and top off level. :mad2:

Put in reverse, good, back out of drive, drop in drive, takes off, not bad.....no shifting and no speedo   :mad2:   :mad2: :mad2:     :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

I am so ready to push this into the river!  I can put in Drive and it taks off, I think in 2nd, but will not shift. I can down shift into 1st and manually shift into 2nd, but then no 3rd or OD. :mad2:

From my research, seems the no speedo thing is due to a bad VSS or wire on transfer case, of course, I have 2 sensors. Computer is not ready speed so it won't shift. GGGGRRRRRRR  It worked fine before I pulled it, hoping it's just a dirty connection.

I needed this thing Saturday morning to get a load of hay, down to 6 bales. :(

#60 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,477 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 08:58 PM

All I can say is.,.....  :oh_shucks:  :loosing_it:  

It helps to plug in ALL the VSS sensors  :hitting_self_roller:

Got Tahoe shifting properly over all now, but now it seems to go into Neutral in between shifts, just for a second, like you would push the clutch in on a standard right before you left off the gas. Gotta call my rebuilder, maybe just a simple adjustment.... I hope! 

• olcowhand, MH81, EricR and 1 other said thanks