sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 09:16 PM

Hope you can get it worked out at a reasonable price!
  • TAHOE said thank you

#18 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,948 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 11:29 AM

Talked to my BIL last night, looks like I get to learn how to rebuild an auto tranny. Once I get it out, he is going to brings his tranny tools, come over and help me do it.

All for just parts cost too and whatever I throw his way,... master overhaul kit, convertor, and upgraded sun shell. :dancingbanana:

• sacsr and EricR have said thanks

#19 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 11:41 AM

Get the Trans-go jr valve body kit too. It changes the PWM converter to an on-off like the old ones and stops the sticky valve and slam into 2nd. Wouldn't be a bad idea to put a new pressure control solenoid and the TCC solenoid in the pump in it too.

• TAHOE said thank you

#20 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,948 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 12:55 PM

Thanks, I'll look into those.

I know I replaced 3 or 4 of the solenoids a couple winters ago, very lazy shifting when it was cold, solenoids fixed that. I know it was a couple of the shift solenoids, the 3-2 downshift solenoid and I think the manual valve position switch.

This tranny has never had the hard 1-2 shift. Now my Firebird, when it gets hot, it will jerk your head off 1-2. I recently read GM changed that hard shift issue with upgrades in '99 which maybe why the Tahoe doesn't do it. The Firebird is a 98, maybe need to look into that.

#21 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 01:22 PM

The harsh shift is from the accumulator. Check the springs to see if the y may be broken or the piston is stuck . common issues with those old boogers.
Oh and make sure you get an intermediate sprag assembly too these things are always failing. ( related to 2nd and reverse) .

Edited by skyrydr2, April 23, 2014 - 01:29 PM.

• TAHOE said thank you

#22 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 01:54 PM

Sounds like a good deal. Cheap rebuild and get to learn something new.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#23 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,645 Thanks
  • 1,059 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 02:52 PM

When the trans crapped out in my 95 gmc my trany friend told me to toss it and put in a 700r4.Every thing fit up the same execpt for the kick down cabel and the big gear that goes into the transfer case(differant pitch)he gave me the right gear and sold me a kit for the converter lock up.Works like a champ.And I don't need a stinking computer to tell the trans when to shift

• TAHOE said thank you

#24 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,948 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 08:03 AM

The harsh shift is from the accumulator. Check the springs to see if the y may be broken or the piston is stuck . common issues with those old boogers.
Oh and make sure you get an intermediate sprag assembly too these things are always failing. ( related to 2nd and reverse) .

I think my hard shift in the Bird is from the sticky valve Doug mentioned. I saw a kit that replaced the spring with a heavier one to prevent it. There is also another kit that gives you a larger valve and a reamer, seems that aluminum can get wallered out and cause valve to get cocked in the bore and stick too.

My BIL will inspect and tell me if anything else I need to upgrade. #1 is the sun shell upgrade, all my heavier towing did it in I think, and the heavy right foot :D .

When the trans crapped out in my 95 gmc my trany friend told me to toss it and put in a 700r4.Every thing fit up the same execpt for the kick down cabel and the big gear that goes into the transfer case(differant pitch)he gave me the right gear and sold me a kit for the converter lock up.Works like a champ.And I don't need a stinking computer to tell the trans when to shift

Yea, would be nice, but since all my cables to my butterfly are on the opposite side, no way I would hook up the TV cable properly, the changed that set up in '96 when they went to the Sequential injection system over the throttle body setup/CPI system.  I'm not that froggy trying to re-invent the wheel when all I need is a rebuild.

• Bill 76 said thank you

#25 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 08:57 AM

I got 16X,00 miles out of my tranny in my 99 Yukon before it went and it had LOTS of heavy towing.

#26 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,948 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 10:01 AM

I got 16X,00 miles out of my tranny in my 99 Yukon before it went and it had LOTS of heavy towing.

I have had pretty much bad luck with this one. I replaced the Autotrac Transfer case at 125K (PO put in wrong oil) , motor at 132K ( cam or lifters)  and now tranny at 141K ( sun shell).

This is the first GM I've owned that has let me down at these early miles other than the '95 S10 blazer @ 108K that blew an oil cooler line and fried the bearings, but that was my fault, I put off fixing the hose I knew was leaking.

#27 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,645 Thanks
  • 1,059 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 02:19 PM

I think my hard shift in the Bird is from the sticky valve Doug mentioned. I saw a kit that replaced the spring with a heavier one to prevent it. There is also another kit that gives you a larger valve and a reamer, seems that aluminum can get wallered out and cause valve to get cocked in the bore and stick too.

My BIL will inspect and tell me if anything else I need to upgrade. #1 is the sun shell upgrade, all my heavier towing did it in I think, and the heavy right foot :D .

Yea, would be nice, but since all my cables to my butterfly are on the opposite side, no way I would hook up the TV cable properly, the changed that set up in '96 when they went to the Sequential injection system over the throttle body setup/CPI system.  I'm not that froggy trying to re-invent the wheel when all I need is a rebuild.

Sorry I forgot that they changed the injection system in 96,for sure it would be a pita to try and make the tv cable change over.

#28 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,948 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 08:47 AM

Now the Wife's jeep has developed a driveline vibration. Already pulled the front driveshaft and that actually helped a little, seems the front ujoint I put in there last spring is already developing slop. Still has vibration when slowing down, gonna rotate tires first and see if that helps. If not, told the wife to make sure she has her phone and AAA card on her, just wait until it blows then tow it home. I think it maybe from CV joint on the drivers side halfshaft, but feels tight, so I dunno.

Started pulling trany out of Tahoe last night, I figured all those bolts would be easy to remove since I replaced TC about 2 1/2 yrs ago, motor 1 1/2 yrs ago, but...NNnnoooooo. I had to quit and walk away from frustration.

I own 5 vehicles, maybe down to one driveable one soon :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

• olcowhand and Alc have said thanks

#29 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 01:26 PM

When it rains it pours!

Oddly my ranger tires went out of balance for no reason. Didn't lose a wheel weight just suddenly started shaking.

#30 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 05:23 PM

When it rains it pours!

Oddly my ranger tires went out of balance for no reason. Didn't lose a wheel weight just suddenly started shaking.

It is a Furd trying to self destruct.

• LTD said thank you