#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 06:13 PM

Had the whole family and a friend in Tahoe, picked up 4 goats today, they were riding in cages in the back. 

About half way home, sitting at a light, hit the gas and it all fell apart. Would barely move and had a rapid clicking noise like a baseball card in the bike spokes. Pulled in a parking lot, put in reverse.....no reverse it's gone. Figured the reverse went out but still had drive so decided to drive her home or bust. Well, shifted into 2nd and whole truck about feel apart, jerking, banging, the works!! Thankfully my uncle lived around the corner, stopped at his house and he let me park it in the front yard until I can get AAA to go get it. 

My sister lives near, she took the boys home, got the friend's truck and they came back and got me and the goats. 

Sooo..... now I have no Tahoe, this is time of the year I need it the most pulling the trailer. I'm thinking the Sun shell finally broke lose, common problem in the 4L60E. I know it's just not solenoids, something inside broke. 

• MH81, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 07:29 PM

OOPS! Sorry to hear it let you down!

• boyscout862 and TAHOE have said thanks

#3 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,637 Thanks
  • 1,330 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 07:45 PM

My brother had the same thing happen to him this winter. The thing that sucks for him is no one has a decently price used one around here and the truck isn't worth sticking a reman 4L60 in it.

Hope you can find a trans cheap. Its no fun being with out a truck.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 07:59 PM

That's a real bummer.  I hope you get 'er fixed up soon, otherwise you'll have to change your username!

How many miles is on that thing?

Ben W.

#5 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 08:20 PM

I feel for you.  Last summer, I went to pull out from a stop and there was a grinding sound.  Reverse worked, but had a 10second delay.

Put in 2nd and was able to get going and drive to a garage.

Findig a replacement was a challenge.  Mine was detroyed.  None at any of the local wreckers.  Had to get a GM factory recon.  They were on sale last August and included a 3yr/60km warrantee.

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,626 Thanks
  • 7,669 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 08:20 PM

Sooo..... now I have no Tahoe, this is time of the year I need it the most pulling the trailer.

Uhmmmmm. . .  but you've still got four goats to pull it with!

• TAHOE said thank you

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 08:35 PM

Same problem with my s-10 chev 4x4 a few years ago. And in the trailer pulling season. My sons buddy is a transmission guy, so he fixed it. Still not good at any time, but I was on the road again within a week or so, and less money in pocket. But what do you do? Noel
  • TAHOE said thank you

#8 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 08:53 PM

Chevy needs to bring back the powerglide.
  • WNYTractorTinkerer and TAHOE have said thanks

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 09:18 PM

I used to find old tranny's to put in and save money over rebuilds or servicing. Now days there are so many Letter Codes on them and you need right one to work in your system, makes it harder to find. Can't stray over so many years like in past. I would pull it and  check for a sticker with 3 letter code like 2DCA  or similar and try to match that. Think might be stamped on the plate on side near back too. The first number is the year. I just used 2 as sample, not sure what year yours was. Some are electric shifting, ratios may differ, torque convertors are diff sizes depending on size of engines, lots of stuff to look for now. I know you have at least a little money to start, heh!   Can rent trucks many places for $19.95 for the day if needed real bad.

• TAHOE said thank you

#10 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 10:00 PM

You sure it is the trans and not the rear end. The clicking sounds to me like a rear broke. But I wasn't there to hear it so I will take you word for it.

#11 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 10:58 PM

I think I'll lay my money on the back planetary set. That's the one being used in 1st. Usually when the sun shell breaks it doesn't make a consistant noise. It's more random and usually faint.. You lose 2nd, 4th, and rev but still have 1st and 3rd. It just results in a late shift feel and goes straight from 1st to 3rd.

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and TAHOE have said thanks

#12 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 1,604 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 11:07 PM

I went bow hunting one morning about 8 miles from home in a beat 78' GMC 1/2 ton pick up. This was like 20 years ago. The truck was 4WD and had a TH 350 short tail tranny in it. When I was done hunting, I got in the truck and it wouldn't move. All I had was reverse, so what the heck, I drove it home backwards. It sure beat walking except for the kinked neck, HA! I had a rebuilt TH 350 long tail trans with a cracked case. My friends mom backed into the trans while it was on the garage floor, and that's how the case got cracked, so he gave it to me for parts.
Anyway, I couldn't find a cheap short tail trans for the truck, so I put both transmissions side by side and disassembled them. The clutch packs were smoked in the short tail trans, so I just put the guts from the long tail in it. I never had a transmission apart and I didn't have a manual. Somehow I got it all back together and torqued all of the bolts down to " I hope it stays together " specs. I put the trans back in the truck, started it up, prayed to God, then put it in drive. Son of a ..... it works! I drove the truck for 6 months and my brother ended up driving it to Colorado from NY. He needed a truck since he was moving out there, and he traded me his 69 Olds Cutlass convertible for it. He drove the truck in Colorado until he traded it in on another vehicle.
  • sacsr, boyscout862 and TAHOE have said thanks

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 07:25 AM

Yes, bring back the TH350!  So many auto parts could be standardized, but then the designers wouldn't be happy.  Sorry for your issues Marty.

• TAHOE said thank you

#14 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 08:21 PM

That's a real bummer.  I hope you get 'er fixed up soon, otherwise you'll have to change your username!

How many miles is on that thing?

Ben W.

140K, won't be changing my screen name. Can't afford to fix it, but even less able to afford a different one. 

Uhmmmmm. . .  but you've still got four goats to pull it with!

4 baby goats don't pull much

I know you have at least a little money to start, heh!   Can rent trucks many places for $19.95 for the day if needed real bad.

No need for a rental, I have the Firebird which is my daily driver anyway.

You sure it is the trans and not the rear end. The clicking sounds to me like a rear broke. But I wasn't there to hear it so I will take you word for it.

Oh yea, it's definitely the tranny. It pulled okay in 1st, but nothing else. 

I think I'll lay my money on the back planetary set. That's the one being used in 1st. Usually when the sun shell breaks it doesn't make a consistant noise. It's more random and usually faint.. You lose 2nd, 4th, and rev but still have 1st and 3rd. It just results in a late shift feel and goes straight from 1st to 3rd.

Everything I've read points to sun shell. The clicking is the splines stripping on the sun shell shaft. I'm not sure if I have third, when it tried to shift, I thought the truck was going to explode, wouldn't shift and jerked, banged and clanged!

My BIL use to rebuilds, gonna ask him tomorrow if he still does them, should get it done for under hopefully $400, but I want upgraded sun shell and at least a rebuild convertor too. If he doesn't, my neighbor has a good friend who does it for a living, he's gonna get me a price. 

I followed the roll back driver to the house after he picked up Tahoe from my uncle's, when we got there he said he talked to the owner

( his dad) of their junkyard, they happened to have a '98 or 99 Tahoe with bad motor, he said they would sell me the tranny for $350.

Sounds great, but if it's only a couple hundred more a complete rebuild of mine, may go that route just for a piece of mind. 

Good old powerglide, my neighbor has two of them, doubt either of his '79 Malibu drag cars would miss them  :smilewink:  :D

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#15 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 08:30 PM

Junkyard transmissions usually turn out to be a waste of time. At least for me...
  • GTTinkerer and TAHOE have said thanks