• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DJ54 OFFLINE  

DJ54

• Member No: 8535
  • 75 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 09:31 PM

Got the garden disked up today, then took the Super 3 with cultivators and marked out a few rows. Then put the disk on, and made a hill to plant 200 onion sets and 14 Bok Choy seeds to finish out the row. 

Planted some Alaska peas for canning, in the row to the left of the hill. Used the Earthway to plant the peas, since it was just the one row. Not worth hooking up the DB planter & changing the plates & drive chains out. Just hoping we don't get anymore hard freeze's..!!

The DB fired right up after a few pulls, and ran very well. Felt great to be playin' in the dirt..!! 

Onion Hill 001.jpg

Onion Hill 003.jpg

• Alc, hamman, bgkid2966 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 10:00 PM

Your garden looks nice!

• DJ54 said thank you

#3 DJ54 OFFLINE  

DJ54

• 75 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 10:16 PM

Thanks..!! This is part of the old garden plot here at the home place. Dad started the first garden here in 1954. He stopped gardening in '88, when he retired and bought a sawmill. It's been in grass & hay until last year, until I turned it over & started gardening in it again. I had a soil test ran on it last year. Tests showed it needed 1 lb. of N per 1,000 sq. ft. & 1 lb. of potash per 1,000 sq. ft. and was high on phosphorous, from years of 12-12-12 as starter fertilizer and lots of cow manure. Grows some awesome green beans..!!

Trying to get away from commercial fertilizer. Things did great last year feeding it quite a bit of compost tea, so we'll see how it does again this year on the same recipe. 

• Alc, bgkid2966 and A.C.T. have said thanks

#4 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,446 Thanks
  • 3,993 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 04:27 AM

nice row :thumbs:

• DJ54 said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 04:48 AM

Nice big garden plot. I'm in the woods and just don't have the space to have a big plot like that. WE are still too cold here to plant yet. The last 2 nights we had hard frosts. 

#6 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 05:19 AM

Nice looking soil you have

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 05:55 AM

Nice garden . I never planted onions in a hill would you mind explaining more, my onions never get as big as I would like so maybe try your way . Thanks Al

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,566 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 06:44 AM

Looking good. Last year I had planted the onions in a raised bed for the first time. I tried it because of trouble with rotting. I thought it might do a bit better. Last time I checked, my garden was still a mud hole. Seeing these threads about planting is really giving the itch to get started.

Edited by shorty, April 18, 2014 - 06:47 AM.

#9 DJ54 OFFLINE  

DJ54

• 75 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 07:41 AM

Nice garden . I never planted onions in a hill would you mind explaining more, my onions never get as big as I would like so maybe try your way . Thanks Al

Last year was the first time I really tried growing them in a hill row. Sure seemed to be a lot less weedy & easier to maintain. Plus. kept them up out of the really muddy ground. Last year we had almost record amounts of rain, so it worked well. So I'll experiment again this year,and see how they do. Who knows what kind of weather we will get.

Here's a few pics from last year. First two are of my yellows, and the other is of some Wallw-Walla's I planted. We had so much rain, it washed the dirt away from the Walla-Walla's, but they stil produced very well..!!

I try to hoe/cultivate pretty often, and catch weeds in the button stage. So much easier to care for that way. Having a couple Bradley's set up with different style shovels on the cultivators sure helps. Hoping to get two more going here in the next week or so to make it even easier. I'd like to leave the disk on one, as I'm planning on a few more item's in hill rows.Garden June 21 2013 003.jpg Garden June 21 2013 013.jpg Garden 7.7.2013 004.jpg

• Alc, bgkid2966 and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#10 DJ54 OFFLINE  

DJ54

• 75 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 07:45 AM

We had cold temps in the area the other night. I live on a pretty high hill, so the temps don't drop near that much. I really forgot to check the temp that morning, but very little damage here. While in town 2 miles away, pretty well burned early Easter flowers, and burned my buddy'd Asparagus & Rhubarb off 6 miles away.

• Alc and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#11 DJ54 OFFLINE  

DJ54

• 75 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 10:15 PM

Planted 6 rows of sweet corn, & two rows of green beans this afternoon. Surrounded the sweet corn with 6 rows of sunflowers, in a 30" wide hedge fence, like last year. Had "0" damage from deer doing that last year, so trying it again.

Used the DB planter to plant it all. Worked much better than last year with no clumps of sod to deal with this year. Rows aren't real straight, as I was trying to watch and see if it was dropping seed OK. I guess you can get more plants in a crooked row, than a straight one...  ;)

Next dry spell near the 15th, I'll set my 'maters & celery out, and plant some zucchini & more Bok Choi.  

• Alc said thank you

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 05:34 AM

So you thought the DB planter was better then the Earthway ?  Will you be using it for any smaller seeds ?   I'll have to ask my uncle if they used the Tri-Trac & seeders for anything other the sweet corn There are a lot of different seed plates with it but I wonder how many of those were ever used .

#13 DJ54 OFFLINE  

DJ54

• 75 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 07:54 AM

That is yet to be seen... It did appear to be dropping seeds pretty well. The texture of the dirt here is pretty fine & soft. The Earthway does a decent job, but has a tendency to dive in, or if a small clod gets caught in the covering chain, it's like a wheel chock.

I set a 3/4" board under the drive wheel to set the planting depth, and the only place I saw seeds not covered was at the end of the row where I picked it up to turn around.

Last year was the first time that garden had been turned over for 25 years. There were many small chunks of sod, that would catch on the planter shoe, and didn't work do well. Seed spacing was good, just kept having to stop & clean. This year it sailed right through, covering & pressing the seed in well.

Last years sweet corn seed was pretty small, probably due to the drought year before. So I was getting 2-3 plants per hill. Not a problem, as that's what we used to do anyway. I also used the sweet corn plate to plant the Roma green beans. I tried the bean plate, but too small. Did a test drop in the shop first.  The bean/pea plate would work well for beans like Pinto, or Navy, and small peas I'm guessing.

I used my Earthway to plant my carrots, as I planted two varieties in a semi-hilled row. They were only about 20' each, so just less work using the Earthway for that.

I will post pics when things come up to show how it did.

Right now, there is one of the DB field planters on ebay, in PA. I'll post it in the thread where the fellow had pics of his. Or I'm thinking it was on this DB forum. I'd consider it if the fellow would ship, but it's pickup only, and too far away. It's starting at $99.99, so saved it to see what it goes for.   

• VSTROM803 said thank you

#14 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 04:26 PM

I don't see any pictures of tractors,, just dirt and plants,??????

#15 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 04:28 PM

Right now, there is one of the DB field planters on ebay, in PA. I'll post it in the thread where the fellow had pics of his. Or I'm thinking it was on this DB forum. I'd consider it if the fellow would ship, but it's pickup only, and too far away. It's starting at $99.99, so saved it to see what it goes for.   

I'm interested to see what that goes for. I bought a really nice one a few months ago. It came with several seed plates and gears. I planted corn and a few other varieties with it so far. A really nice planter. I also have the garden seeder that I picked up about the same time I found the field planter. I have not tried it yet. I'll be using it mostly for smaller seed.

The field planter listed on ebay is missing some parts. Mainly the hitch.