• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 08:41 PM

Maybe I should have posted this in the walk behind forum , but it's not a walk behind tractor, so...

What kind of engine do you suppose this is? I think Tecumseh ? It's on a Sears tiller. It has compression and will probably run. It's a 4 hp I think. See the big 4 on the top? I might bring it home.tiller motor I.jpg

tiller motor II.jpg tiller motor air cleaner.jpg

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 09:00 PM

That's an odd engine, but I bet is a 4hp Tecumseh.  Sears loved Tecumseh.

I can tell you what model it is if I know what Sears' labeled the engine as.  Sears made their own tags for the engines they bought and sold.

Ben W.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 fishingbud OFFLINE  

fishingbud
  • Member No: 37921
  • 41 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 11:51 PM

Yep prob teclumsy. I've got a Sears tiller too had a tech motor.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 04:50 AM

I've never seen that style of tiller before. 

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 06:20 AM

I have the twin to your tiller.  Mine is badged as a David Bradley and I believe the engine is a Clinton. 

:thumbs:

#6 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 05:09 PM

You're right Gtractor. I brought it home from the scrapyard today. It is a David Bradley Roto Spade. I thought the engine look "Clintonish". I've never seen a Sears anything with a Clinton before. The gas tank and carb bowl are as clean as new. It has very weak "fire". Just enough to feel a slight tingle at the plug wire. Usually a points cleaning will get one sparking again. When I take it apart to clean the points maybe I can find out if it's a Clinton or Tecumseh.The only thing missing is the throttle lever and cable. The muffler has been replaced with a 6" pipe nipple.The tines turn when I engage the drive and pull the rope , so maybe it will pull when I get it running.db roto spade handlebars.jpg

db roto spade plate.jpg

db roto spade lf.jpg

I'm thinking a super duper cleaning and repaint will make an easy restoration if I find no mechanical problems. It weighs 122 lbs. I couldn't believe it was that heavy and protested at the scrapyard . They reweighed it a second time to be sure.

Edited by thom, April 18, 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#7 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 11:47 AM

I cleaned the points. When I removed the flywheel I found that the flywheel key was missing. I was suprised because the engine had weak spark and compression that I could feel at the sparkplug hole. The flywheel was apparently not slipping on the crankshaft.The slot in the crank and in the flywheel were in alignment as they should be. The ignition is a Wico system, which I know was used by Clinton , not sure about Tecumseh. I found no numbers or markings under the top cover that said Clinton or Tecumseh . But, when I removed the carburator

to clean it I found The number(s) 51-86-67 cast into the intake elbow. That looks like Clinton numbers to me. The carb is a Carter model N that I also know was used on Clintons.The carb was like new inside.db roto spade carb cleaned.jpg . I'm hesitant to try for spark now , without a flywheel key in place. I may not get the flywheel nut back as tight as it was. But then- what could happen without a key ? The flywheel and crank could get out of alignment , but I would have spark regardless even if not at the right time, huh? I might go ahead and give it a pull or two, with the plug out and see how it looks.

• coldone said thank you

#8 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 03:29 PM

Mystery engine identified... It's a Lauson / Tecumseh model V45. I think that means 4 1/2 horsepower. I pulled the starter rope a couple of times and still have weak fire. Now I know which flywheel key that I need.

• MH81 said thank you

#9 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 07:49 PM

I found a flywheel key and cleaned the points again. I double checked the gap (.020 ). Still just a tingle but not enough to spark at the plug. I'm thinking weak condenser now, maybe. Guess I'll try a condenser before I give it up.

#10 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 06:16 PM

Stumbled onto a pic of mine.....

The teeth that the recoil catches on are stripped so I never tried to start it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 006.JPG

#11 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 06:40 AM

Sounds like condenser to me. Hope she give you fire and runs good for you.