• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 greenghost1964 OFFLINE  

greenghost1964
  • Member No: 55825
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 01:38 PM

I have a1979  Power King 2414 loaded on a trailer, given to me for parts.......which I have to off load this weekend to give the trailer back, and the brakes appeared locked. I was NOT the one who loaded it, so just going by what I'm told. How can I either release the brakes, or remove them in order for the tractor to roll off the trailer????

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 greenghost1964 OFFLINE  

greenghost1964
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 01:51 PM

I see off ebay there is a available park brake lock........looks like I do have this on the tractor, so how is it release>? IN CASE this is the problem>>???

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 01:59 PM

On a 1979 the park brake lock shouldn't be anything more than a piece of hinged steel with a handle that is mounted in front (or behind depending on how you look at it) the brake pedals.  In theory, you push the brake pedals with your foot and flip the handle up to keep the pedals locked.  Simply step on the pedals and pull the handle back to release.  If they are holding that well, you have a really rare Power King.  The brakes are not usually that good.

#4 greenghost1964 OFFLINE  

greenghost1964
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 02:24 PM

Ok Jeff I try it to see.......Thanks!......the seat is current off, so I can sit to kinda play w/ all the likely options. But I figure if I have to get under the tractor to un do the brakes, etc........kinda like to know what I need to do. It's got a belly mower on it, so sliding the tractor off will be hard enough, without having to deal  w/ a clearance issue of the mower too.............  

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,787 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 02:46 PM

Welcome to GTT. You can download Manuals from our Manuals Section. This may be close to what you need  http://gardentractor...m-dandy-manual/

Post some pics. Good Luck, Rick

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 02:48 PM

80 and up had center console pull up brake. Just pushing brake pedal hard should release that (if still working).  Lots of times if it has been setting around the bands around the outside of drums at back axle on outside just kinda swell up and rust onto the metal drums. You can pull the hitch pins on the clevis's there and work the band linkage  back and forth to see if stuck. Bands work better one way than the other. One way may catch and lock and other will allow movement. BUT, seems that should have been OK to pull back and tight to go forward??  You sure one of trans isn't stuck in two gears and locked up? That happens often on PK also. You don't say if one or two trans, but try to shift them into N and see if rolls?  Not much movement in the levers even when working right, so "feel" careful as you move lever. Usually have to lift console tin off and take top off trans to adjust back to N. If that is problem, the ball end of shifter in trans needs to be welded up thicker and ground down to size to fit in slots and work better w/out slipping out of the shift rails. Common PK problem also.

#7 greenghost1964 OFFLINE  

greenghost1964
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 02:55 PM

only 1 transmission............I did try to shift it, and it appear to be out of gear, but the wheels are still locked.

#8 greenghost1964 OFFLINE  

greenghost1964
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 03:05 PM

I can post some pics...............I currently have (2) one 1976 and a 1979 PK 2414.......the 79' this one we're talking about w/ the brake issue is in really good shape, still have the orginal paint/stickers/etc..........it was giving to me w/ the gin pole, belly mower, and the bar w/ ball to pull a trailer......and susposedly I'm getting another disc and box blade. I'm hoping to have the 2 both running for around the homestead............but if nothing else I will make a nice one out of the 2.

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 09:14 PM

only 1 transmission............I did try to shift it, and it appear to be out of gear, but the wheels are still locked.

It is possible that the end of the shifter broke off and is wedged between gears causing the whole thing to lock up.  I've seen this before.  Did it appear to shift normally when you tried it or did it just flop around?  In other words, if you would put it up in, say, 2nd gear, would it stay or just fall back down?  I'm thinking you would have picked up on that but, better to ask I guess.  Wiggle the brake bands too as best you can.  I wonder if they are not stuck to the drums if it's been sitting for a while.  You're in the south so that leaves out a frozen tranny.

#10 greenghost1964 OFFLINE  

greenghost1964
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 04:43 AM

gm Jeff, no it does shift and stays in place. With the seat off, it hard to play with the brakes or to shift, with having the apply the clutch pedal by hand instead of your foot....... and will put the seat back on over the weekend to be able sit they and play w/ the controls, but the bad thing is I will get the tractor to my house today, but I only have Saturday to get it off the trailer, since I heading back down to where I grew up for Easter to get the borrow trailer back to the onwer, so trying to hit the ground running to be able to off load it. But you can can shift........feels a little tight actually, but again cant really apply the clutch pedal down enough by hand. Spray some penterating oil late yesterday on the bands.....hopefully will losen f there's rust etc

#11 greenghost1964 OFFLINE  

greenghost1964
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 09:34 AM

ok, did get it off the trailer, was just the brakes locked up from rust/etc............just lubed it good, and started rocking the tractor back and forth until it broke free around the bands......

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,787 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 10:19 AM

Now how long to get it running? It is best to have both of them running. Good Luck, Rick

#13 greenghost1964 OFFLINE  

greenghost1964
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 03:02 PM

i'm gonna play with it this weekend. if there's any wiring issues, I will re wire it w/ the basic wiring to start it. There's a(mini) fuse holder, that's missing the fuse......so  I will try a few things first. But my time is real short during the week. Probably remove the belly mower, and put it for sale.......since I don't think I'm keeping it. So again it be a project........I have my other to use currently. 

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 06:57 PM

Join the Yahoo groups PK forum and they have info there to use, including wire diagrams. Larry Goss on there sells a thumbdrive with all the PK info you want and manauals galore on it, with same diagrams and other systems. Make sure you remove the Mule Drive off front to go with the deck for someone else. No good with out the drive.

#15 Copperhead300 OFFLINE  

Copperhead300
  • Member No: 49297
  • 5 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 05:00 PM

Okay, we want pictures...............................