18 replies to this topic

#16 Bud W ONLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 01:51 PM

Does anyone know when "The Little Guys" show is this year, I haven't seen anything yet. Last year it was the weekend before the Memorial day weekend.

#17 jimt1971 ONLINE  

jimt1971

• Member No: 6295
  • 23 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 01:04 PM

Always the weekend after Mother's day.

• Bud W said thank you

#18 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 01:32 PM

Agreed Halfscale, more people are chasing fewer vintage tractors, good old supply and demand and its not gonna get any better.  But the deals and steals are still out there. Plenty of stuff still in barns and fence rows.  Seems the oddball and seldom seen models are catching more of the collectors eyes now.  Your common IH cubs, JD's ect have somewhat stablized, atleast in my area.  Only the hard to find models, factory diesels ect command big bucks if the owner knows what he has.  I have also seen some prices that the owner was definatly smoking some ditch weed when he came up with it.  Folks can ask anything they want, selling it it another thing all together.  I like my Yanmar, its somewhat of an oddball, I got it real cheap for what it is capable of doing.  Just a matter of money to outfit her for plow day and with a rear 3pt mounted finish mower.   Cheers  Mike

Dad and I were at a local consignment sale, stuff seem to go high, I guess people are willing to pay more for used because they can't afford new, Did see a plow for a Pennsylvania go for 240 dollars.

#19 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 09:59 PM

Wow.  To get into a brand new Simplicity GT where I work as head mechanic will run $8K by the time it has a sleeve hitch added.  To get one with a 3pt your into the Legacy XL SCUT tractor which is over 10K.  So if you want to do more than just cut grass, a vintage machine is about your only option if you want quality. Even a decent lawn tractor is $2500+ depending on brand.  Below that is just a waste of money IMHO.  With money tight in most familys still, they either ask more when selling an old tractor or are willing to pay more when buying.  I know I wont give away my C160 Wheelhorse that I have for sale.  Its one of the most desirable of the C series and sports factory hyd lift along with hydrostatic transmission.  But I scored that diesel powered Yanmar for under $600.  Need to update the pics, it looks way better now, freshly painted, new highback seat, new rear PTO option installed, engine side panels and a 3pt is under construction.  We see very few older machines traded in anymore, folks keep them for chores, snow removal ect and use thier new ZTR for mowing duties.   The mower rusting out or parts availablity is what does in the mower deck many times.  I was involved with restoring/using classic GT's thru the whole explosion of the hobby and watch the average 125-250 IH cub cadet climb to $500+ in my area and long with any desirable options that one must buy.  Tractors are worth many times thier whole price in parts if one has the time to take it all apart and sell it that way.   I can say that watching a gaggle of GT's plow several acres of ground and joining in plowing is a whole lot of fun and must be experienced to understand why its so much fun!    See you all at the shows, cant miss me on the Yanny!