• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 drcjv OFFLINE  

drcjv

• Member No: 5645
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 04:22 PM

Why are there no GT shows? I know there many tractor shows and that people take their GTs to them, but it seems to me that there as many GT collectors as full size tractors. I would love to go to more events. I am sure others would too. I just came back from PA plow day almost 200 GT. Why not just have a show. There could be venders, tractor games ,competitions ect... I know there are also pulling events but most of us are not pullers. I have full size tractors and atend several shows per year also have show cars and attend several per year but I have never seen or heard of a GT show. I think it would be great to be able to meet the members and talk GT and show off what you got. mAny thoughts?    

• MH81 and hamman have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 04:26 PM

One reason to go to existing shows is insurance. These shows are pretty well established and should have some safety nets in place for accidents.

Our local club never had but one or two GT's a few years ago, now they equal the big tractors in numbers. The games are a big draw.

#3 truck21 ONLINE  

truck21

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2813
  • 431 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 04:28 PM

We have a number of shows around the Pa area, I take tractors to Dover and Bainbridge every year. If you get the farm collectors show directory you will see many in Pa.

Don

• MH81 said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 04:43 PM

The little guys show is supposed to be a phenomenal event.
  • truck21 said thank you

#5 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 07:26 PM

One reason to go to existing shows is insurance. These shows are pretty well established and should have some safety nets in place for accidents.

Our local club never had but one or two GT's a few years ago, now they equal the big tractors in numbers. The games are a big draw.

Saegertown?

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 07:51 PM

No, French Creek.
Saegertown is getting more GT's every year tho.
Are you from around here?

#7 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 08:12 PM

I'm from Punxsutawney but I used to go to Saegertown every year but have not been there for a few years.I do go to Portersville every year and they get over a 100 gt's but mostly just from 3 different brands.

• MH81 said thank you

#8 bantam r us OFFLINE  

bantam r us

• Member No: 417
  • 46 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 08:56 PM

AJ's near Chicago Illinois I a all garden tractors and very nice show. The Vintage Garden Tractor Club of America has shows tied in with larger shows all over the country. See their web site for more details. www.vgtcoa.com and lagt has a show for garden tractors in Indiana. Main reason is established shows already have a following and an staff to run the show.

#9 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 09:56 PM

The little guys show is supposed to be a phenomenal event.

Yeah, I was going to mention the Little Guys (York, PA area) show is all GTs.  You live on the wrong side of the state.  It would be nice to get you over here for a few shows.

One of the Fawn Grove shows is nearly all GTs and the Dover show has been drawing 500-600 GTs which drastically outnumbers the big tractors.

#10 Natureboy OFFLINE  

Natureboy
  • Member No: 49649
  • 73 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 07:34 PM

None going on in my area :(

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,758 Thanks
  • 8,928 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 07:44 PM

Shows like the ones listed are what's driving GT prices up. Mow the yard, stay home, and have a beer.

#12 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 07:46 PM

Or two .

#13 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 558 Thanks
  • 542 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 10:07 PM

Whats driving the shows and prices are the fact that fewer farm kids stay on the farm, they move into town where keeping a farm tractor isnt practical, let alone the ablity to haul to shows.  But a vintage GT, of any brand, is a practical item.  One can mow the yard during the week, then clean her up and go to the show on the weekend.  The huge Tri State steam/gas show in Portland, IN is mostly GT related now.  The spring and fall swap meets more so than the summer show/swap.   Most shows here in Indiana that my wife and I have attended had a huge turn out of GT's.  If the show has plowing grounds, games ect, the turnout is even larger.  The mix of farm/steam/GT's is what I enjoy.  I would love to have a steam threashing machine or a vintage farm tractor, but living in suburbia precludes this.  But my GT can work my garden, mow grass and deal with winter snow.  Even my neighbors like having my GT around as most just push mow thier yards.   I hate high prices, but between the collectors and owners getting smarter about how worthless new lawn and garden tractors are till you get up near $7k+, will keep those prices up there.  But deals are out there.   Happy hunting!

• Alc and Cat385B have said thanks

#14 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 08:17 AM

Well said mtoney, One thing I will add is that hauling large tractors takes bigger tow vehicles, it's easier to load two or three GT's than one farm tractor., Also storage becomes an issue, I can fit a lot of GT's in the space a large tractor takes.

With all the large ag equipment manufactures ,having a hand in the " little guys" ,you can still support your favorite brand of farm tractor with out the investment of a full size.

As for prices, it's the devalue of your dollar ,that is the problem.

#15 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 558 Thanks
  • 542 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 10:53 PM

Agreed Halfscale, more people are chasing fewer vintage tractors, good old supply and demand and its not gonna get any better.  But the deals and steals are still out there. Plenty of stuff still in barns and fence rows.  Seems the oddball and seldom seen models are catching more of the collectors eyes now.  Your common IH cubs, JD's ect have somewhat stablized, atleast in my area.  Only the hard to find models, factory diesels ect command big bucks if the owner knows what he has.  I have also seen some prices that the owner was definatly smoking some ditch weed when he came up with it.  Folks can ask anything they want, selling it it another thing all together.  I like my Yanmar, its somewhat of an oddball, I got it real cheap for what it is capable of doing.  Just a matter of money to outfit her for plow day and with a rear 3pt mounted finish mower.   Cheers  Mike

• HALFSCALE said thank you